The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

15 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/technology/x-deletes-fact-check-on-elon-musk-s-tweet-about-bronny-james-cardian-arrest/ar-AA1es1I8?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0703aa36ac124128865e7968ba413ef0&ei=24

"

Earlier in the week, Los Angeles Lakers’ Lebron James’ son, Bronny James, suffered a cardiac arrest during basketball practice at the University of Southern California (USC).

Soon after, Twitter X owner Elon Musk tweeted that Bronny’s cardiac arrest could have something to do with the COVID-19 vaccine.

“We cannot ascribe everything to the vaccine, but, by the same token, we cannot ascribe nothing. Myocarditis is a known side-effect. The only question is whether it is rare or common,” tweeted Musk. Soon after, X’s Community Notes feature kicked in. Community Notes is a user-run feature that allows users to flag and correct misinformation on the platform.

The feature allowed users to add a label under Musk’s Tweet that read, “Studies show that the risk of myocarditis is significantly higher after an actual Covid infection than with the vaccine. Among adolescent boys, the risk of myocarditis following a Covid infection was approximately twice that of the risk following the second vaccine dose.”

The note also quoted its sources from CBS News and Yale Medical School.

However, the label was soon removed from Musk’s tweet, without any explanation from X or Musk. It can be seen in this archived version of the Tweet, as shared by Gizmodo.

X deletes fact-check on Elon Musk’s Tweet about Bronny James’ cardian arrest
X deletes fact-check on Elon Musk’s Tweet about Bronny James’ cardian arrest© Provided by MobileSyrup

Musk is supposedly a proponent of free speech, but removing the community note suggests otherwise. We are not certain if the decision to take down the note was Musk’s or someone else’s. In the past, he has also banned the accounts of several people, including journalists that were critical of him. Read more about it here.

The company got rid of the platform’s Blue bird logo over the weekend, and officially changed the platform’s name from Twitter to X. The company also took ownership of the @x account earlier this week without informing or compensating its original owner.

The bird logo and Twitter branding remain visible on the app’s Android and iOS apps. It is unclear when the apps will be updated, though it shouldn’t be long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Free speech for me; but not for thee'- Elon Musk.

Yep I see X branding on my android this morning. 

Cya twitter/X. Welcome to my trash bin. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/24/2023 at 9:41 AM, Warhippy said:

1.  Who was being silenced again and did Twitter answer to others or act in their own based on their own terms and conditions and public sentiment, it did they not have control of their own company and answered to a shadowy cabal of "those who have yet to be named" types?

2.  What organizations and ideologies do you speak of hmmm?  Taken over everything you say?

No no.  Do tell

1. People were silenced in many different areas. 

Covid-related news was silenced. 

One of the world leading epidemiologists Jay Battacharya was put on a black list on old Twitter for simply talking about a universally agreed upon response to a pandemic, that was agreed upon before the pandemic started.  Anything deemed to promote vaccine-hesitancy was silenced.  Sure you had fake points being shared, but those should be rebutted instead of being silenced. 

News related to Hunter Biden laptop was silenced. 

There were tons of twitter threads published after Elon's takeover that showed the daily correspondence between the government and FBI with Twitter interns in charge of safety with hundreds of tweets that they were flagging to be removed/accounts to be suspended. 

Now the latest is that the news on climate change are being moderated.  Have you noticed how many little popups you get now in various media apps where it tells you to click for official approved information?  I am saying nothing about the subject of climate change here, it's the fact that government or these private entities feel entitled to censor information that you get.  Our government couldn't even manage to figure out it's own payroll for years, what should give me the confidence that it can manage all the information that reaches me and won't do so in a twisted way?

2. The norm of what is okay to be said and not okay to be said has shifted massively in the last 5 years.  Elon is a thorn in the side of the ones that want to censor everything and that's why he's gotten a lot of bad press.  I initially thought that censorship was a left vs right divide, but it's not, it's a woke ideology.  More and more left-leaning people are finding it extremely disturbing that this woke ideology has taken over and you see people being cancelled in schools, colleges, and universities over something they say.  People that have disagreeing points of view are being barred for even giving talks, and the social justice activists are calling it harmful to even let someone speak.  

Woke social activists' strategy is to bully, punish and cancel people in the name of inclusivity and love.  I can give you another list if you'd like of all the people that I was told were racist/bigots/sexists and was told to ignore, who have turned out to be completely miscast and misrepresented while being silenced in the court of public opinion. 

I see that happening with Elon here, and his only saving grace is that he had a big base to work with initially.  As I said, I detested Elon in the past, but I have nothing but respect for what he's done with artist formerly known as Twitter. 

Hippy, you need to realize that I'm arguing for the freedom of speech not because I want to offend people online or because I think it's okay when people use racist and sexist slurs.  Those ugly acts don't get any sympathy and people should be corrected/confronted through more talk.  I am in no way defending Elon because some lunatic somewhere is posting neo-Nazi stuff and I want to defend him.  

If you trade liberty for security, you might one day end up with neither.  It's much easier to fight for security when you have liberty, then vice-versa. 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. People were silenced in many different areas. 

Covid-related news was silenced. 

One of the world leading epidemiologists Jay Battacharya was put on a black list on old Twitter for simply talking about a universally agreed upon response to a pandemic, that was agreed upon before the pandemic started.  Anything deemed to promote vaccine-hesitancy was silenced.  Sure you had fake points being shared, but those should be rebutted instead of being silenced. 

News related to Hunter Biden laptop was silenced. 

There were tons of twitter threads published after Elon's takeover that showed the daily correspondence between the government and FBI with Twitter interns in charge of safety with hundreds of tweets that they were flagging to be removed/accounts to be suspended. 

Now the latest is that the news on climate change are being moderated.  Have you noticed how many little popups you get now in various media apps where it tells you to click for official approved information?  I am saying nothing about the subject of climate change here, it's the fact that government or these private entities feel entitled to censor information that you get.  Our government couldn't even manage to figure out it's own payroll for years, what should give me the confidence that it can manage all the information that reaches me and won't do so in a twisted way?

2. The norm of what is okay to be said and not okay to be said has shifted massively in the last 5 years.  Elon is a thorn in the side of the ones that want to censor everything and that's why he's gotten a lot of bad press.  I initially thought that censorship was a left vs right divide, but it's not, it's a woke ideology.  More and more left-leaning people are finding it extremely disturbing that this woke ideology has taken over and you see people being cancelled in schools, colleges, and universities over something they say.  People that have disagreeing points of view are being barred for even giving talks, and the social justice activists are calling it harmful to even let someone speak.  

Woke social activists' strategy is to bully, punish and cancel people in the name of inclusivity and love.  I can give you another list if you'd like of all the people that I was told were racist/bigots/sexists and was told to ignore, who have turned out to be completely miscast and misrepresented while being silenced in the court of public opinion. 

I see that happening with Elon here, and his only saving grace is that he had a big base to work with initially.  As I said, I detested Elon in the past, but I have nothing but respect for what he's done with artist formerly known as Twitter. 

Hippy, you need to realize that I'm arguing for the freedom of speech not because I want to offend people online or because I think it's okay when people use racist and sexist slurs.  Those ugly acts don't get any sympathy and people should be corrected/confronted through more talk.  I am in no way defending Elon because some lunatic somewhere is posting neo-Nazi stuff and I want to defend him.  

If you trade liberty for security, you might one day end up with neither.  It's much easier to fight for security when you have liberty, then vice-versa. 

Where do you get the idea that Battacharya is a "world leading Epidemiologist"? :huh:

According to Wiki, he's an MD with a PhD in Economics. He's also known for being a member of the Hoover Institute, which appears to be made up of Libertarians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bhattacharya

Battacharya was also one of the authors of the Great Barrington Declaration. (I hope that isn't what you were talking about when you said, "a universally agreed upon response to a pandemic"....because it certainly was not) The GBD was basically calling for herd immunity and it did so before vaccines were available... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrington_Declaration

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Where do you get the idea that Battacharya is a "world leading Epidemiologist"? :huh:

According to Wiki, he's an MD with a PhD in Economics. He's also known for being a member of the Hoover Institute, which appears to be made up of Libertarians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bhattacharya

Battacharya was also one of the authors of the Great Barrington Declaration. (I hope that isn't what you were talking about when you said, "a universally agreed upon response to a pandemic"....because it certainly was not) The GBD was basically calling for herd immunity and it did so before vaccines were available... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrington_Declaration

You didn’t even touch on Elon’s free speech hypocrisy :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He is a professor of medicine, economics, and health research. 

You can disagree with research, his opinions, but to have him silenced on Twitter and put on a black list is ludicrous. 

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He is a professor of medicine, economics, and health research. 

You can disagree with research, his opinions, but to have him silenced on Twitter and put on a black list is ludicrous.

Maybe...but he isn't a "World leading Epidemiologist" as you claimed. He's a guy who puts his personal freedoms ahead of the safety of the general public and he's a proponent of Herd Immunity, which many actual experts in infectious diseases see as not only ill-informed, but dangerous.

BTW: You didn't expand on what you claimed was a "universally agreed upon response to the pandemic". Should we assume that this statement was as inaccurate as your claim about Battacharya's credentials?

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe...but he isn't a "World leading Epidemiologist" as you claimed. He's a guy who puts his personal freedoms ahead of the safety of the general public and he's a proponent of Herd Immunity, which many actual experts in infectious diseases see as not only ill-informed, but dangerous.

BTW: You didn't expand on what you claimed was a "universally agreed upon response to the pandemic". Should we assume that this statement was as inaccurate as your claim about Battacharya's credentials?

You are taking roundabout ways to skirt around the fact that he was silenced on Twitter. I can list more people that were.  

Now you are trying to discredit him.  

Why does it matter what he said and what his credentials are? Why do you feel that censorship is to be excused here?  

One day it's someone else being censored, tomorrow it will be you. 

Forget the content and the source.  People should not be getting silenced. 

In the past, it's always been the minorities and the vulnerable that have suffered from censorships. Today we are being peddled a lie that we need to censor to protect minorities, people with different sexual orientations, etc.  

If you call Elon a right-wing asshole, that's your right. I would not be in favour of you getting censored on Twitter for saying it. 

Another thing, censorship was a right-wing tactic that was used in the 90s and early 2000s, especially with the excuse of the "war on terror".  

How did we get censorship to be so accepted on the left? 

50 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You are taking roundabout ways to skirt around the fact that he was silenced on Twitter. I can list more people that were.  

Now you are trying to discredit him.  

Why does it matter what he said and what his credentials are? Why do you feel that censorship is to be excused here?  

One day it's someone else being censored, tomorrow it will be you. 

Forget the content and the source.  People should not be getting silenced. 

In the past, it's always been the minorities and the vulnerable that have suffered from censorships. Today we are being peddled a lie that we need to censor to protect minorities, people with different sexual orientations, etc.  

If you call Elon a right-wing asshole, that's your right. I would not be in favour of you getting censored on Twitter for saying it. 

Another thing, censorship was a right-wing tactic that was used in the 90s and early 2000s, especially with the excuse of the "war on terror".  

How did we get censorship to be so accepted on the left? 

Because you claimed that he was an expert, which he is not.

If he was "silenced" it's because he was promoting dangerous disinformation and it has nothing to do with being "left". If you're an MD, gullible people might assume that you know what you're talking about and in the midst of a global pandemic, that puts people in danger.

I would argue that "the right" isn't some bastion of "free speech" either. Maybe you've noticed the boycott of Bud Light, or the crackdown on Disney, after they criticized the "don't say gay" bill....

Where's your faux outrage over those?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If he was "silenced" it's because he was promoting dangerous disinformation and it has nothing to do with being "left". If you're an MD, gullible people might assume that you know what you're talking about and in the midst of a global pandemic, that puts people in danger.

," gullible people"

I see the problem here, and have seen it in other posts; which is why I now only see them, in quote boxes.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1