The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

SpaceX has fundamentally changed space exploration by dropping launch costs. I suggest it is SpaceX that is driving exploration now. Yes, Nasa has a major role but SpaceX is expanding applications greatly. 

imo its a great example of how commercial partnerships should work. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a lot of people would cheer if it was destroyed tho, over a few stupid tweets. Thats what we've come to now. 

• Like 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a lot of people would cheer if it was destroyed tho, over a few stupid tweets. Thats what we've come to now. 

No, but maybe he should stop wanting to be in the limelight so much. And just QUIETLY go about his businesses. There is a manic side to him. Gallows humour? When you throw money at "The Boring Company" to build flamethrowers as a joke. Maybe play a better joke and give to charity. His Mars obsession is also odd. I enjoy aerospace a lot. But he has the money to tackle issues here on Earth too. Mars is basically a cold desert. You need a space suit to work outside. The fact there is frozen water there is really the only good resource. The average distance is 225 Million km from Earth, ( or 140 Million Miles). It took the Viking spacecraft 11 months to get to Mars. So you'd need a crazy amount of supplies to set up a base camp there. Can it be done? Sure. But maybe fix major problems here on Earth first.

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Odd realities of the human condition. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No, but maybe he should stop wanting to be in the limelight so much. And just QUIETLY go about his businesses. There is a manic side to him. Gallows humour? When you throw money at "The Boring Company" to build flamethrowers as a joke. Maybe play a better joke and give to charity. His Mars obsession is also odd. I enjoy aerospace a lot. But he has the money to tackle issues here on Earth too. Mars is basically a cold desert. You need a space suit to work outside. The fact there is frozen water there is really the only good resource. The average distance is 225 Million km from Earth, ( or 140 Million Miles). It took the Viking spacecraft 11 months to get to Mars. So you'd need a crazy amount of supplies to set up a base camp there. Can it be done? Sure. But maybe fix major problems here on Earth first.

but why is that his responsibility? its really interesting how people react to this guy. 

Mars is vision setting. It gets some technical folks inspired to work their asses off for SpaceX. I don't see the issue.

I'm just so tired of "outrage" on both sides, none of it leads to anything. I have a lot more respect for people that build things even if they are jerks than some thumb warrior on social media. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I stand corrected. Though 8 years of radiation and no gravity probably does the job anyhow. 

Yep. Definitely challenges. The 8 years is likely a deal breaker as well.

I still think it's the best option, (for the reasons laid out in the article) but I think it's predicated on advances in technology over several scientific fields.

6 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Elon Musk’s mother says ‘stop being mean to him’

https://fortune.com/2022/11/16/elon-musk-mother-stop-being-mean/

"Mean"....:rolleyes:

Nothing "mean" about firing half of your workforce just before Christmas and then telling the remaining workers they have to work extra hours to pick up the slack, or they can leave too....<_<

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JM_ said:

That's vastly oversimplifying it...

People don't care all that much about tweets. They're used to rich pricks being rich pricks. It's his actions after the takeover that have people upset and rightly so, IMO.

Secondly, the hand wringing over the possible effect on SpaceX is a bit overblown as well. Last I heard, there were 2 other super rich guys with similar ventures and as the saying goes, "nature abhors a vacuum"...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

36 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but why is that his responsibility? its really interesting how people react to this guy. 

Mars is vision setting. It gets some technical folks inspired to work their asses off for SpaceX. I don't see the issue.

I'm just so tired of "outrage" on both sides, none of it leads to anything. I have a lot more respect for people that build things even if they are jerks than some thumb warrior on social media. 

Maybe it's being raised on comic books. You know the "With great power comes great responsibility" thing? It's not just him. It's everyone. There's nothing wrong with looking at the stars. But if your only home is falling apart. Maybe take a step back and have a look at the big picture. Trust me I had tik tok for 2 weeks, and deleted it, wondering if anyone really cares about anything but themselves?

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe it's being raised on comic books. You know the "With great power comes great responsibility" thing? It's not just him. It's everyone. There's nothing wrong with looking at the stars. But if your only home is falling apart. Maybe take a step back and have a look at the big picture. Trust me I had tik tok for 2 weeks, and deleted it, wondering if anyone really cares about anything but themselves?

I can see that being the outcome of 2 weeks on that :lol:

I do agree philosophically, we do need to pay more attention to things on the ground. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

People don't care all that much about tweets. They're used to rich pricks being rich pricks. It's his actions after the takeover that have people upset and rightly so, IMO.

Secondly, the hand wringing over the possible effect on SpaceX is a bit overblown as well. Last I heard, there were 2 other super rich guys with similar ventures and as the saying goes, "nature abhors a vacuum"...

isn't oversimplification what social media is all about? 

Not handwringing at all, just think it would be stupid for NASA to stop working with SpaceX because of some tweets. Its nothing to celebrate if that happened.

Its easy to tear things down, very few people actually build things.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Or publicly donating starlink to Ukraine and then threatening to take it back because you are losing money, among many other things. If you're not a  little pissed off at Elon then you're not paying attention. 

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Or publicly donating starlink to Ukraine and then threatening to take it back because you are losing money, among many other things. If you're not a  little pissed off at Elon then you're not paying attention. 

I don’t get why I’m supposed to overlook his general assholery because of Spacex?

• Vintage 3

28 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

there's been a lot of speculation around that story, I haven't seen much in the way of info from sources actually involved in that. 

I do think he has one valid point, there's no reason why SpaceX should be donating equipment for free when companies like Lockheed are making money selling HIMARS. 

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t get why I’m supposed to overlook his general assholery because of Spacex?

if he was being a jerk to people on the right wing instead of the left right now, would you still care or would you think it was funny?

Whats going on in the US right now is utterly stupid imo. People on the left are worked up over Elon, but not enough people on the left can get out to vote for women's rights. Thats just sad and to me shows how destructive social media is, too many people are concerned about the fluff and not the substance. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if he was being a jerk to people on the right wing instead of the left right now, would you still care or would you think it was funny?

Whats going on in the US right now is utterly stupid imo. People on the left are worked up over Elon, but not enough people on the left can get out to vote for women's rights. Thats just sad and to me shows how destructive social media is, too many people are concerned about the fluff and not the substance. 

To me a jerk is a jerk and I don’t care which side of the aisle he aims it at. I don’t think of his tweets calling someone a pedo or links to a conspiracy theory that Paul Pelosi was drunk again and the attack was a homosexual tryst gone wrong is just “fluff.” Just happens that buying his own social media outlet makes him a dangerous jerk as he tries to turn fluff into substance for those easily led.

No amount of Spacex changes that for me.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

To me a jerk is a jerk and I don’t care which side of the aisle he aims it at. I don’t think of his tweets calling someone a pedo or links to a conspiracy theory that Paul Pelosi was drunk again and the attack was a homosexual tryst gone wrong is just “fluff.” Just happens that buying his own social media outlet makes him a dangerous jerk as he tries to turn fluff into substance for those easily led.

No amount of Spacex changes that for me.

thats fair. I don't think he deserves a pass on criticism for saying that stuff, but taking the extra steps to want all his companies taken down is a massive over reaction imo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I agree.  It's not a private individual's job to fix the world.  That's why we have governments.  Isn't the US government in charge of NASA?  Why can't NASA fix more problems in this world?  Why is that Musk's responsibility?  Musk is an innovator and trying to put people on Mars is innovation, which is what humans do.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Not handwringing at all, just think it would be stupid for NASA to stop working with SpaceX because of some tweets. Its nothing to celebrate if that happened.

Okay, I missed the part about NASA not working with SpaceX because of a couple of tweets.:unsure: I would have thought that something like that would be all over the news....When was that decided?

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Where is all this because of his tweet, NASA gonna stop working space spaceX or plebs want to cancel SpaceX coming from? 

So far it sounds like something in your head cannon.