The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Tesla (TSLA) cuts prices of Model 3 and Model Y by 6% to 20% in the US

Tesla price cuts again.

Prices cut on its top-selling models in the US.

Those are some pretty steep discounts.

Either there's too much inventory or they just aren't selling like they used to. Either scenario is not good.

Almost like having your CEO alienate your potential customers is a bad decision.

33 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Tesla (TSLA) cuts prices of Model 3 and Model Y by 6% to 20% in the US

Tesla price cuts again.

Prices cut on its top-selling models in the US.

Those are some pretty steep discounts.

Either there's too much inventory or they just aren't selling like they used to. Either scenario is not good.

Anytime I see a price reduction, the first thought through my mind is  "Those bastards were over charging me before this!"

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Teslas are just overrated, overpriced, well marketed Craperolla?  

Bingo. The reason the company got so big was because they were the only EV option available for a long time. Now that they have competition for a cheaper price they’re struggling and this was happening before Musk went crazy in public, that only hastened the deep descent that was going to come at some point. You can’t be valued at 3x what Toyota is, 10x what GM is or 30x what Ford is when you only sell vehicles in a market that has only a 20% share of cars sold globally even if they have a monopoly (which they don’t anymore).

I think the only reason Tesla stock went so high in the first place was two-fold. Partly because they were the only vehicle available, but mostly because investors saw his SpaceX success and assumed Tesla would follow or in other words the performance of another company sold the Tesla company as a good investment. That usually never works out, as each company is a totally different beast. Now they’ve got nowhere to go, but down unless or until they start making more affordable options and even then the permanent damage has been done thanks to Twitter and it will never reach anywhere close to the heights it once was.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Bingo. The reason the company got so big was because they were the only EV option available for a long time. Now that they have competition for a cheaper price they’re struggling and this was happening before Musk went crazy in public, that only hastened the deep descent that was going to come at some point. You can’t be valued at 3x what Toyota is, 10x what GM is or 30x what Ford is when you only sell vehicles in a market that has only a 20% share of cars sold globally even if they have a monopoly (which they don’t anymore).

I think the only reason Tesla stock went so high in the first place was two-fold. Partly because they were the only vehicle available, but mostly because investors saw his SpaceX success and assumed Tesla would follow or in other words the performance of another company sold the Tesla company as a good investment. That usually never works out, as each company is a totally different beast. Now they’ve got nowhere to go, but down unless or until they start making more affordable options and even then the permanent damage has been done thanks to Twitter and it will never reach anywhere close to the heights it once was.

It also doesn't help their stock price when the CEO offloads billions of dollars worth of stock in less than a year. 

4 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It was also heavily short sold. Which lead to a series of squeezes that drove the price higher. Musk's spats with short sellers were very public which only added more fuel to the squeezes. In April 2022 Bill Gates announced he was short Tesla stock. Musk retorted by tweeting the following........

Incidentally, April 2022 was near the top in TSLA. :lol:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It was also heavily short sold. Which lead to a series of squeezes that drove the price higher. Musk's spats with short sellers were very public which only added more fuel to the squeezes. In April 2022 Bill Gates announced he was short Tesla stock. Musk retorted by tweeting the following........

Incidentally, April 2022 was near the top in TSLA. :lol:

Wow, I had no idea. Also who the f is stupid enough to pick a fight against Bill freaking Gates.

• RoughGame 2

7 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Wow, I had no idea. Also who the f is stupid enough to pick a fight against Bill freaking Gates.

That and it’s ignorant, childish, and mean to pick on another person’s physical appearance.  The more we learn about this Musk character, the more it’s clear he’s a selfish, petulant child. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is how the self proclaimed smartest man in the world acts.

By not paying his bills.

More landlords are taking Twitter to court over unpaid rent at the social media company's headquarters in San Francisco and its British offices — the latest legal headaches for billionaire owner Elon Musk, who has been trying to slash expenses.

Twitter is facing a lawsuit over allegations it failed to pay rent for its head office, according to California court documents. The owner of its premises in central London, meanwhile, said it's taking the company to court over rental debt.

Musk is making extreme cost cuts after his $44-billion US deal last year to buy Twitter left the company on the hook for about $1 billion US a year in interest payments. Twitter has already been taken to court this month for falling behind on rent at another San Francisco office.

It comes as Musk has been testifying in recent days in a separate class-action lawsuit from Tesla investors alleging his 2017 tweet misled them about funding to take the electric carmaker private.

The Tesla CEO's cost-cutting strategy for Twitter also has included gutting the company's workforce and auctioning off memorabilia and fancy office furniture.

Missed payment, claim says

Twitter did not respond to a request for comment. Its communications department was shut down after Musk's acquisition.

The owner of Twitter's San Francisco headquarters, located at 1355 Market St., is suing the company after it failed to make its latest monthly rent payment, according to documents filed Friday with the Superior Court of California.

The company, Sri Nine Market Square LLC, said Twitter "breached the lease by failing to pay monthly rent and additional rent" for January, amounting to $3.4 million US.

Twitter, which has had a lease for three floors in the building since 2011, had fallen behind on a similar amount of rent in December, which Sri Nine Market Square recouped from a letter of credit that Twitter had put up as a security deposit, the filing said.

After using those funds, the landlord says Twitter still owes $3.16 million US in unpaid rent and is seeking late fees and interest plus attorneys' fees. The social media company still occupies the property, the landlord said.

High-end real estate

In Britain, the Crown Estate has started court proceedings against Twitter after the company fell behind on rent at its offices near Piccadilly Circus in central London.

A spokeswoman for the Crown Estate, which owns some of the priciest real estate in central London, said it took action following previous contact with Twitter over the unpaid rent and is in talks with the company but provided no further information.

The Crown Estate is a vast property portfolio that includes much of London's Regent Street as well as the Windsor estate.

• 1 month later...

Who knew that getting rid of a huge chunk of your workforce would lead to issues? Oh yeah.....everybody....except of course, the "tech genius"....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/other/a-twitter-employee-says-staff-have-grown-numb-to-outages-because-they-ve-become-so-frequent/ar-AA18jCG9?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=58c008c9620345e5a48d18cda1fd51ff&ei=58

Twitter staff have grown "numb" to outages because they've become "so frequent," an employee told Platformer.

On Monday, Twitter suffered a service outage after an "internal change" led to "unintended consequences," the company said in an update.

Twitter users on Monday reported seeing error messages when trying to view images and links hosted on external websites. The issues appeared to have been resolved by 12:50 p.m. ET that day, Insider reported.

In a report published late Monday, Platformer quoted a current Twitter employee as saying: "This type of outage has become so frequent that I think we're all numb to it."

Representatives for Twitter didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment, made outside normal business hours.

Twitter had already suffered several outages this year prior to Monday's. In early February, users reported a glitch that prevented them from posting. On February 18 and March 1, Twitter's timeline stopped working.

Experts previously told Insider's Kali Hays that Twitter could break or face technical issues due to a lack of staff. Since completing his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter in October, Musk has laid off thousands of employees from the company, most recently cutting 200 jobs in late February.

According to Platformer, Monday's outage occurred after a single site reliability engineer was tasked with a major project to shut down free access to Twitter's API. A current employee told the news outlet that the engineer made a "bad configuration change" that "basically broke the Twitter API."

The mistake took out many of Twitter's internal tools as well as the company's API, leaving owner Elon Musk furious, per the report.

A former employee told Insider in November that with so few employees left to share critical work, "Twitter is done."

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Who knew that getting rid of a huge chunk of your workforce would lead to issues? Oh yeah.....everybody....except of course, the "tech genius"....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/other/a-twitter-employee-says-staff-have-grown-numb-to-outages-because-they-ve-become-so-frequent/ar-AA18jCG9?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=58c008c9620345e5a48d18cda1fd51ff&ei=58

It's common sense to test critical configuration changes in a test environment in order to see if the intended changes to the system function properly. It's a blatant mistake to make such configuration changes in the live-version of the system. In my opinion this outage is classic example for the non-competence of this technical engineer. Therefore I wouldn't blame the massive lay-offs at Twitter for this specific outage.

I worked at a large US-Company which is listed in the S&P 500 and I implemented some IT systems in close cooperation with the IT department. Evertime we implemented a new IT system or made upgrades to IT systems we tested the changes in a test environment. I can't believe that a technical engineer at Twitter makes such a critical change to the system in the live version. Unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

52 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's common sense to test critical configuration changes in a test environment in order to see if the intended changes to the system function properly. It's a blatant mistake to make such configuration changes in the live-version of the system. In my opinion this outage is classic example for the non-competence of this technical engineer. Therefore I wouldn't blame the massive lay-offs at Twitter for this specific outage.

I worked at a large US-Company which is listed in the S&P 500 and I implemented some IT systems in close cooperation with the IT department. Evertime we implemented a new IT system or made upgrades to IT systems we tested the changes in a test environment. I can't believe that a technical engineer at Twitter makes such a critical change to the system in the live version. Unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

I guess that depends on whether one of the now departed engineers would or would not have made that same mistake....

Also, the article says the engineer "was tasked" with the project, so I guess it's a question of whether it was the engineer's mistake, the person who assigned the task, or both....

Apparently, there is a big blow up with a former disabled employee and Musk.  Musk put this on blast and kinda ridiculed him.  Musk may now be on the hook for $100 million because he let the guy go.   Oops. 

I'll link this, but the whole Musk, former employee was up front on Reddit today.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure wouldn’t want to be a Tesla owner. Musk has killed that company. Going to be a lot of dead Tesla cars sitting with no one to keep them running. 

The irony is it's only really 1 reason why Tesla's on the decline. This likely would have happened even without Musk's antics.

Tesla's waiting lists are gone due to supply chains being back to normal since Covid. Meanwhile, they no longer have a technological advantage and are getting really strong competition. So it's more than just Musk, but it is still a factor nevertheless.