The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Apr. 06, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, khay said:

Miller is a risky player indeed. But he is a bargain deal at 5.25mil and you can live with those mistakes as he puts up points and plays in all situations.

But at 9+ mil, no way we can live with those mistakes. And his low IQ mistakes get magnified in the OT where there's no one to cover for the mistakes.

If there is a season to try to transition, it would be next season. 

Trading Miller and one of Garland or Boeser wouldn't be a bad idea to improve other positions of need.

Completely agree. Love what Miller has brought the last few seasons and especially this year, but you can't pay your top line center 9M when he's going to put up 80-90 points but make risky blueline plays like that all game long.

You win with smart defensive centers. Miller is fantastic for 5-6M and to be honest I think he'd be pretty good at 7-8M, but more than that and he just doesn't do enough for us. He kills penalties and takes faceoffs but he's not particularly great at penalty killing, he's just out there.

I'd rather we try a big trade and work with Petey, Bo, Lammikko and then look for a solid 3rd line center (Tierny in UFA for 3.5M).

Players in this day and age just don't get paid for their good defence, so I'm glad Pearson did.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I often wondered why hockey players would rather play in markets where the respective NHL is a secondary or even tertiary sports team in that market. 

These players, especially the star players, get paid pro-athlete money but don't want the pressure associated with it.

It's a big contrast from the NBA where star players big market teams like the Lakers where the pressure from both fans and the media is on the players to perform 

I kind of wish NHL players were like that and not shy away from the scrutiny that comes with being a pro athlete. It's almost like a chest code NHL players can take advantage of

$$$$..... and less tax + less pressure away from the ring...

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Last 20 games:

Connor McDavid - 33 points

Jonathan Huberdeau - 32 points

Leon Draisaitl - 31 points

Elias Pettersson - 26 points

Get the f*** out of here that Petey isn't a superstar...

Yep...imagine if Petey had been on a line with either McD or Draisaitl....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

$$$$..... and less tax + less pressure away from the ring...

Tax is one thing but two points also apply to other sports. Let's say if an NBA players wants to play for the Lakers or if a Baseball player wants to play for the Yankees. 

Heck playing for the Lakers probably gives you even more scrutiny than most Canadian hockey markets. Plus I'd imagine the Taxes in California is quite comparable to Canada. 

For all those that are slagging OEL… how about that. 

3 apples.  

by my count.  

looked good on the right side.  

Solid game.  

This team will not be in the post season, it should be. 

a bad start to the year with a tired coaching system that seemed out of ideas.  

a manager that would not see the coach as the problem, so we get changes. 

the coaching was just stale and too predictable.  AV was the same. 

Green lost the room and JB didn’t seem to understand.  

good clean change. They are all professionals and look at the score.  

that’s JB’s goalie, JB didn’t draft Horvat, but he developed him and made him Captain.  Horvat  is cracking 30 goals this season.  

JB brought in Miller, and how many said, what the &^@#!  A late first!  

for a third liner, just ,Iike Bo was a ‘safe’ pick we could of and Nish… 

how is the teams Center ice postion?  How about scoring punch and or depth?  

OEL looks like a good option on the RHD.  Could be a way to work around the issue and bring up Rathbone and have a Hughes Dermott Rathbone Burroughs LHD with a OEL,Myers, Schenn on the right with more depth needed. With a focus on drafting the problem away and making moves to further strengthen the defence, and this team with this coach and goalie is ready to be a regular Dark horse into the playoffs until they can prove they are a contender.  

this is a good team, a better team that it’s record and the better sign Bruce so this team can get a good start to the year and not be in last place 20 games in.  

had we not gifted a handicap to everyone else this team would be in the playoffs this year.  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Except that a coach's record is averaged over all the game's he's in charge... not just some of them.

Chicago switched coach's midway through the season too... and they got a bounce too...  not as good as the Canucks and their record lately has been cr*p.

Boudreau should be given credit for his season.

This team has looked at an uphill fight since BB arrived... the fact they have persevered as well as they have is a good sign.  I would not be surprised to see they let up at the end... if they are eliminated.  But so far they continue to put an effort in.

The problem here is still very much Jim Benning.  His asset management reflected a team that was going to do whatever it took to succeed in the playoffs.  Recency bias aside, he will go down in history as one of the worst Canucks GMs.  And we are going to have to reckon with his horrendous asset management.  We have been reduced to one real trade asset (Miller) that can accelerate a rebuild, and virtually zero prospects in our pipeline.  Valuable picks were either wasted or traded away.

Whenever the Canucks make the playoffs next time, I think the core will end up looking very different than what it is now.  So it's hard to be super-optimistic about THIS group of players.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Tax is one thing but two points also apply to other sports. Let's say if an NBA players wants to play for the Lakers or if a Baseball player wants to play for the Yankees. 

Heck playing for the Lakers probably gives you even more scrutiny than most Canadian hockey markets. Plus I'd imagine the Taxes in California is quite comparable to Canada. 

Aye true, but for certain states like Arizona and Florida, without knowing too much about Tax laws in the US and Canada, I would expect the savings to be significant, and to be able to get a tan instead of frost bites may also sound enticing...

Finally Canadian fans are a tough crowd... they know their hockey. And unlike most US crowds, they still turn out in their thousands despite their team being garbage... instead they vent their anger towards management, players, Zamboni driver, 50/50 ladies etc anything that represent their team. 

Other than that, I guess, your guess is as good as mine...

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The problem here is still very much Jim Benning.  His asset management reflected a team that was going to do whatever it took to succeed in the playoffs.  Recency bias aside, he will go down in history as one of the worst Canucks GMs.  And we are going to have to reckon with his horrendous asset management.  We have been reduced to one real trade asset (Miller) that can accelerate a rebuild, and virtually zero prospects in our pipeline.  Valuable picks were either wasted or traded away.

Whenever the Canucks make the playoffs next time, I think the core will end up looking very different than what it is now.  So it's hard to be super-optimistic about THIS group of players.

Get what you are saying, but think you are under selling the team a bit here.

There are plenty assets on this team, but not assets we wants to let go of. 

Petey, Demko, Horvat, Quinn, Podz are all decent assets, and the main reason we don't have anything in the pipeline, is because good drafting has made them go straight into the team. 

The 1st for Miller was a good deal, and well worth it, but the 9OA for OEL and Garland is still to be seen. I'm sure we'll be able to get something back for Garland, and at the start of the season, it represented good value...unfortunately his aim has gone totally off the boil, and he struggles just now.

OEL showed last night, what he is capable of, but paired with Myers is not ideal for him, and has taken some of his offense away. 

We need some changes, without doubt, but not sure it is as severe as even I at times have felt. 

Need 2 good, strong, smooth skating defensive RHDs to replace Poolman and Myers. They are to play with OEL and Quinn. And the cap for those two players could come from dealing Boeser and Garland.

We would still need a few 3rd line players as well, but don't think it would be impossible to change it around. The big issue just now is Millers next contract. Once that is dealt with, we should know, what we have in the coffers. Bearing in mind in 2 years Petey is gonna need paid big time as well...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Aye true, but for certain states like Arizona and Florida, without knowing too much about Tax laws in the US and Canada, I would expect the savings to be significant, and to be able to get a tan instead of frost bites may also sound enticing...

Finally Canadian fans are a tough crowd... they know their hockey. And unlike most US crowds, they still turn out in their thousands despite their team being garbage... instead they vent their anger towards management, players, Zamboni driver, 50/50 ladies etc anything that represent their team. 

Other than that, I guess, your guess is as good as mine...

yeah on that note I did watch "The Last Dance" in Netflix and the scrutiny Michael Jordan got was brutal. Can't imagine it being tamer than what Matthews gets in Toronto.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

yeah on that note I did watch "The Last Dance" in Netflix and the scrutiny Michael Jordan got was brutal. Can't imagine it being tamer than what Matthews gets in Toronto.  

True....

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Get what you are saying, but think you are under selling the team a bit here.

There are plenty assets on this team, but not assets we wants to let go of. 

Petey, Demko, Horvat, Quinn, Podz are all decent assets, and the main reason we don't have anything in the pipeline, is because good drafting has made them go straight into the team. 

The 1st for Miller was a good deal, and well worth it, but the 9OA for OEL and Garland is still to be seen. I'm sure we'll be able to get something back for Garland, and at the start of the season, it represented good value...unfortunately his aim has gone totally off the boil, and he struggles just now.

OEL showed last night, what he is capable of, but paired with Myers is not ideal for him, and has taken some of his offense away. 

We need some changes, without doubt, but not sure it is as severe as even I at times have felt. 

Need 2 good, strong, smooth skating defensive RHDs to replace Poolman and Myers. They are to play with OEL and Quinn. And the cap for those two players could come from dealing Boeser and Garland.

We would still need a few 3rd line players as well, but don't think it would be impossible to change it around. The big issue just now is Millers next contract. Once that is dealt with, we should know, what we have in the coffers. Bearing in mind in 2 years Petey is gonna need paid big time as well...

Yes to all of this.   We also have a pretty serious decision to deal with in Brock.   How many UFA years we could buy is part of the equation...or if we even go there.   Tough choice.

1.  Take him to arbitration.   Mediator decides - we still own his rights for two years 

2.  Trade him.  The return will mostly be cap space.

3.  Try and sign him at a reasonable deal, and keep him as a support player that still has a chance to find his mojo back.   What that might look like is 4/5 years at 20-25 million.   He's not earned a raise, a demotion really at this point.   Getting tougher to defend this guy as the season moves on - but we know at the bare minimum, we should have a 20/20 guy.   And likely something in the 50-60 point range with just some of his mojo back.  

• Cheers 2