The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hughes Trinity [Discussion]

I've seen many posters here selling #43 to NJ for a ton of "something".  What if JR and crew are thinking the opposite?  Questions:

1.  Would it make sense to bring the two Hughes from NJ to VAN?   

2.  Would having all 3 make us a better team?  Or, would we be too light?.....could we compete in the West with three small but highly skilled players?

3.  Would acquiring the 2 Hughes from NJ handcuff us?  Do we even have assets to make a deal like this happen?

If anything send Quinn east to NJ.  Get 'someone' useful who can step right into a contributing role. Yes, Hughes offense is above par but his defense still leaves a lot to be desired.  He is light and not at all intimidating in his own end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

I've seen many posters here selling #43 to NJ for a ton of "something".  What if JR and crew are thinking the opposite?  Questions:

1.  Would it make sense to bring the two Hughes from NJ to VAN?   

2.  Would having all 3 make us a better team?  Or, would we be too light?.....could we compete in the West with three small but highly skilled players?

3.  Would acquiring the 2 Hughes from NJ handcuff us?  Do we even have assets to make a deal like this happen?

Jack is going to be special. 
Luke has blown away what Quinn did at Michigan, though had a much better team.  He is also the biggest of the brothers. 
These are cornerstones NJ are building around, they are not available period. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

If anything send Quinn east to NJ.  Get 'someone' useful who can step right into a contributing role. Yes, Hughes offense is above par but his defense still leaves a lot to be desired.  He is light and not at all intimidating in his own end.

He did knock J.E. on is ass though!  LOL!

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Jack is going to be special. 
Luke has blown away what Quinn did at Michigan, though had a much better team.  He is also the biggest of the brothers. 
These are cornerstones NJ are building around, they are not available period. 

We would (and maybe should, considering Rathbone) trade Quinn to the Devils.  Huge return too.  Fill every hole in our roster.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

To NJ:

Quinn Hughes

Brock Boeser

To VAN:

Dawson Mercer

Michael McLeod

Alexander Holtz

Ryan Graves

Miller-Petey-Podz

Garland-Bo-Mercer

Pearson-McLeod-Zacha

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood/Hogs

OEL-Schenn

Graves-Myers

Rathbone-Dermott

WIN.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would you do:

to NJ:  Hughes

to VAN: Severson, Holtz, Smith, 1st (2023)

I'd maaaaybe think about it, the Devils would have to overpay big time. Not even sure this would do it. Hughes is a very special player

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To NJ:

Quinn Hughes

Brock Boeser

To VAN:

Dawson Mercer

Michael McLeod

Alexander Holtz

Ryan Graves

Miller-Petey-Podz

Garland-Bo-Mercer

Pearson-McLeod-Zacha

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood/Hogs

OEL-Schenn

Graves-Myers

Rathbone-Dermott

WIN.

I think we can even get more.  2022 (1st) and 2023 (1st) plus all the assets suggested.

Quinn has value as a great young D.  To the Devils he as added value as the triplet of Hughes'  It would be an advertising boon for them.  They would definitely pay HUGE.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We would (and maybe should, considering Rathbone) trade Quinn to the Devils.  Huge return too.  Fill every hole in our roster.  

but we don't know what Rathbone is yet. Maybe he's the next QH, maybe he's Yannick Weber. 

But yup moving QH to NJ would be massive. Heck we could even afford to keep Miller :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

Van is trading Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser (on a signed $5.75 million deal) Podkolzin our newly signed AHL goalie and this years 1st, next years 1st and a 2nd just to even get the conversation started.

Like, do you understand what that would mean for both clubs?  I would do almost anything to get the other 2 Hughes Bros here but we have literally nothing they'd take outside of everything to facilitate that trade. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Van is trading Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser (on a signed $5.75 million deal) Podkolzin our newly signed AHL goalie and this years 1st, next years 1st and a 2nd just to even get the conversation started.

Like, do you understand what that would mean for both clubs?  I would do almost anything to get the other 2 Hughes Bros here but we have literally nothing they'd take outside of everything to facilitate that trade. 

That's a massive overpayment.  Pettersson alone is better than Jack.  People complain that Petey is too small and weak, but Jack is even smaller.  Petey is a superstar and his numbers over the last 30 games are close to the top of the league.  I wouldn't trade Petey straight up for little Jack, but then I'm probably a bit biased on that to be honest...  -_-

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a massive overpayment.  Pettersson alone is better than Jack.  People complain that Petey is too small and weak, but Jack is even smaller.  Petey is a superstar and his numbers over the last 30 games are close to the top of the league.  I wouldn't trade Petey straight up for little Jack, but then I'm probably a bit biased on that to be honest...  -_-

And that's you and that's fine./

But what do the 2 Hughes Bros represent for the Devils?  THAT besides pure talent is what you're paying for.  Jack is trending towards a Marner style player and that's huge and cost controlled.

My comment is essentially that they're not tradeable, nobody can pay what the Devils will want for them especially this team.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we can even get more.  2022 (1st) and 2023 (1st) plus all the assets suggested.

Quinn has value as a great young D.  To the Devils he as added value as the triplet of Hughes'  It would be an advertising boon for them.  They would definitely pay HUGE.

Agreed that if we were to entertain moving Quinn, the Devils will be pushing hard to get him and we better make them pay. Although I'm thinking NJ is closer to a rebuild mode than we are so rather than going after so many picks what if we target players that can help us now? maybe something like:

VAN:

Hughes

Boeser (extension in place)

NJ:

Hischier

Severson

Smith

I doubt NJ is interested in moving Hischier but Van is also not really interested in moving Hughes so something has to give if they want an untouchable. In Hischier being better than Boeser enough to offset Quinn being better than Severson/Smith? 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

This guy^^^^^wants to trade Hughes because Rathbone has lit up the AHL but has done squat in the NHL (yet)...wants to trade Demko because Martin was on fire over three NHL games and has done the same in the AHL.  Gonna bet he's suffering from premature ejection (gotta keep it PG-13, so fill in the blanks). 

Maybe the Canucks should consider adding Jim Hughes and Ellen Weinberg-Hughes to their hockey ops team so that the Canucks can have the Hughes trifecta in another way.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Haha 1

We definitely don't have the assets that would be necessary to acquire both Hughes brothers from NJ, so the ONLY possible option would be to trade Quinn to NJ. I'm not big on the idea, but if they were willing to provide enough assets, it might be worth it.

What I've noticed and speculated is:

- When Hughes is out of the lineup, OEL's offense kicks in and we don't specifically, "MISS" what Hughes brings to the team

- Rathbone will be at the very least, a solid Powerplay QB and will be able to contribute solid offense

- Hamilton and Hughes would be a massive and effective 1st pairing for NJ

So, if NJ was to offer something like:

To Van: Holtz, Smith, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, 2024 5th

To NJ: Hughes, 2023 4th (from Rangers)

I would look hard at it as Holtz would address our lack of depth on Left Wing. Their 1st this year could only be lottery protected if they got the 1st overall again. If they win and move to 2nd or 3rd overall, we still get the pick.

Edited by VegasCanuck

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

This a huge overpayment by the Canucks. No deal. 

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

This a huge overpayment by the Canucks. No deal. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

My comment is essentially that they're not tradeable, nobody can pay what the Devils will want for them especially this team.

• Vintage 1