The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hughes Trinity [Discussion]

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I agree that they are essentially non-tradeable, but even if they were open to offers, what you suggested is just not worth it to the Canucks.

You're losing 4 damn good players, plus two 1sts and a 2nd. Our GM would have to be out of their mind to make that deal. 

29 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree that they are essentially non-tradeable, but even if they were open to offers, what you suggested is just not worth it to the Canucks.

You're losing 4 damn good players, plus two 1sts and a 2nd. Our GM would have to be out of their mind to make that deal. 

What would you request in return for Pettersson and Hughes?

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What would you request in return for Pettersson and Hughes?

I'd rather not trade either. They're both young, dynamic and proven. 

Anyway you slice it, the price would be steep.

4 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I'd rather not trade either. They're both young, dynamic and proven. 

Anyway you slice it, the price would be steep.

There ya go.  I'd be asking the same myself.  

1s + 2nd plus blue chip prospect plus roster player for Pettersson and the same plus an additional pick for Hughes.  Just because of the skill but also the contract/cost certainty and what they mean to this team

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

We definitely don't have the assets that would be necessary to acquire both Hughes brothers from NJ, so the ONLY possible option would be to trade Quinn to NJ. I'm not big on the idea, but if they were willing to provide enough assets, it might be worth it.

What I've noticed and speculated is:

- When Hughes is out of the lineup, OEL's offense kicks in and we don't specifically, "MISS" what Hughes brings to the team

- Rathbone will be at the very least, a solid Powerplay QB and will be able to contribute solid offense

- Hamilton and Hughes would be a massive and effective 1st pairing for NJ

So, if NJ was to offer something like:

To Van: Holtz, Smith, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, 2024 5th

To NJ: Hughes, 2023 4th (from Rangers)

I would look hard at it as Holtz would address our lack of depth on Left Wing. Their 1st this year could only be lottery protected if they got the 1st overall again. If they win and move to 2nd or 3rd overall, we still get the pick.

I'm obviously a massive Quinn Hughes fanboy, so it's not enough imo. He's just too valuable, and too young to give up on.

Add Mukhamadullin though, and we're closer...

Boeser replacement scoring winger (Holtz), age-appropriate offensive Dman (Smith), relatively high 1st, AND a hulking young defensive Dman (Mukhamadullin)...
That's a tantalizing package.

Though I gag at the thought of another team icing a trio of Hugheses... they are small, but with their skating it would be the Globetrotters of ice hockey. Considering the way the league is going, that would be the most enviable roster in the game.

Edited by nergish
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

If anything send Quinn east to NJ.  Get 'someone' useful who can step right into a contributing role. Yes, Hughes offense is above par but his defense still leaves a lot to be desired.  He is light and not at all intimidating in his own end.

This. As they have the 2 already, it's easier to move just the one brother. It would be a marketer's dream, but it would be up to New Jersey to overpay us in order to make that happen. 

Mercer, Severson, and a 1st sounds good to me!

Not sure why he would want to go to NJ. Despite taxes, Vancouver is a huge market for a young star. In NJ he is buried behind all the NY area teams and two other Hugheses. 
Not all brothers need or even want to play together. I don’t need to see my brother every day. 

The 3 Hughes Bros will play together in Jersey no doubt about it..could be sooner than we think..theres a deal to be made for sure..the NHL powers up top would cream them selfs if it happens..lol

Edited by Rackdawg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

There is no way VAN acquires even one of the Hughes bros from NJ, let alone both. VAN doesn't have anything close in value to give back (no prospects), unless you consider trading Pettersson and Demko +++  

Your right the only way it happens is if quinns delt.

There is no way VAN acquires even one of the Hughes bros from NJ, let alone both. VAN doesn't have anything close in value to give back (no prospects), unless you consider trading Pettersson and Demko +++  

Your right the only way it happens is if quinns delt.

Would you do:

to NJ:  Hughes

to VAN: Severson, Holtz, Smith, 1st (2023)

I'd maaaaybe think about it, the Devils would have to overpay big time. Not even sure this would do it. Hughes is a very special player

Severson 27, Holtz 20, RW,  Smith 22, 5'11, Bahl, 22, 6'5 D,  2022- 2nd rounder..

I would make this trade Holtz top 6 winger, Smith #3 D man, Severson #2 D man

18 hours ago, Highstickin said:

Agreed that if we were to entertain moving Quinn, the Devils will be pushing hard to get him and we better make them pay. Although I'm thinking NJ is closer to a rebuild mode than we are so rather than going after so many picks what if we target players that can help us now? maybe something like:

VAN:

Hughes

Boeser (extension in place)

NJ:

Hischier

Severson

Smith

I doubt NJ is interested in moving Hischier but Van is also not really interested in moving Hughes so something has to give if they want an untouchable. In Hischier being better than Boeser enough to offset Quinn being better than Severson/Smith? 

They just gave Hamilton a 9M deal - pretty strong indication that they never considered going after Hughes and understand that he's obviously not available. If anything they'll just wait another 5 years till he reaches UFA and see if he wants to return to the US.

This deal makes NJD worse and creates a significant hole in their lineup.  Hischier is producing at a 0.9 ppg while taking on toughest matchups while playing a solid 200ft game.  It's not a player they can easily replace.  

There's only 1 puck and it's atypical to have a D like Hughes that has the puck more than the forwards in the o-zone and not every teams wants that.  Can't see them giving up Hischier for Hughes - their Ds are sufficient for how they play.  Boeser doesn't really have the foot speed to fit NJD either.

To Vancouver: Zacha, Sharangovich, Severson, Bahl, and their 2023 first round pick (guaranteed top 7).

To New Jersey: Hughes, Garland, and our 2023 first round pick.

Pettersson - Miller - Podkolzin

Sharangovich - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Zacha - Pearson/Lockwood

Larsson - Lammikko - Chiasson

Lockwood

OEL - Severson

Bahl - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

Edited by shiznak

3 hours ago, T.Shelby said:

Why is there this fascination with uniting the brothers? 

Do you think they would play better because they are all together?

Vancouver would ask a ransom for Quinn and NJ would ask for even more for their guys so it's not happening. 

The only reason NJ would want Quinn is due to the notoriety of 3 bros on the same team.  It's

a great story that has lots of marketing value; hence there's money to be made.

In reality, these 3 bros come with hefty price tags that could cripple a team in a few years.

Lots of comment about Holtz coming back to us in hypothetical deals for QH. I'm not sold on Holtz who has a good shot but seems a bit slow and lacking intensity. Kinda like Boeser... To be fair, I've watched Holtz play mainly before he got to the NHL, so maybe he's taken a step since then.