The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild | April 21st, 2022 | 5:00 PM, Sportsnet Pacific | Just win.

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Always impressed by the media's determination to keep the narrative around the team as negative as possible regardless of what is happening on the ice. I'm not suggesting there should be no critical coverage but it would seem that when the team performs poorly they are bad and when they perform well it's an aberration. Seeing some hand-wavy comments trying to explain away a .664 P% over their last 55 games. I suppose the first 22 games with an underperforming Pettersson is a more indicative sample than 55 games played with a superior performing EP.  It's like they are at the denial/bargaining stage of death and dying. There are things that are needed to get to the next level but the notion that the roster is terrible is disproven ; a terrible roster would simply be incapable of achieving what this roster has accomplished over the last almost 5 months.

But... but... this is a non-playoff team because they're likely gonna miss the playoffs this year!!  Doesn't matter that they've been playing like a top 10 team the past 4 to 5 months.  WE NEED CHANGE!  TRADE MILLER (OUR TOP SCORER), TRADE MYERS (OUR TOP RHD), AND TRADE BOESER OR GARLAND (EITHER ONE OF OUR BEST TOP 6 WINGERS) !!!!!11!1!!!123!!@!!!  WE NEED TO IMPROVES!!!1!!!!!!11111111!!

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Bure would rip this league to shreds.   So would Lindros.   Mario too.   

Yeah when you actually go back and watch how guys literally grabbed hold of players and didn't let go, you'd realize how insane it was that Bure and others were able to dance around the ice like they did.

Picture McDavid in the offensive zone and Myers could literally grab his jersey and pull him in and try bear hugging him to stop him lmao

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah when you actually go back and watch how guys literally grabbed hold of players and didn't let go, you'd realize how insane it was that Bure and others were able to dance around the ice like they did.

Picture McDavid in the offensive zone and Myers could literally grab his jersey and pull him in and try bear hugging him to stop him lmao

Just watch some Mario and Lindros highlights.   All anyone needs to do.   League was super fast back then too.   With a redline. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Just watch some Mario and Lindros highlights.   All anyone needs to do.   League was super fast back then too.   With a redline. 

Imagine what they could’ve done without the two line pass like the players today. You are absolutely right with this point. Sure there was clutching and grabbing but I think it was the trap styles some teams were using that slowed the players down, not the players themselves. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think I might hit up the ANZA club right after work to watch this one 

Sounds like a wild time in the Mt. pleasant area. Can’t say I’ve ever been to that local watering hole but that lego sofa looks “awesome” cheers and have a good time! 

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Bure would rip this league to shreds.   So would Lindros.   Mario too.   

When Nashville honoured Paul Kariya in early 2018 he was asked if he would have more success today without the clutching/grabbing.  He joked that they were used like ski lifts to go up/down the ice and that a white jersey would be black by the end of the night. 

He didn't think he would do as well though.  He gave 2 reasons.  Says goalies in his days were not the athletes they are today.  Says goaltending is at a completely different level now with the professionalism.  The other reason he gave is coaching and in particular defensive systems where things are much tighter and more structured now.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

When Nashville honoured Paul Kariya in early 2018 he was asked if he would have more success today without the clutching/grabbing.  He joked that they were used like ski lifts to go up/down the ice and that a white jersey would be black by the end of the night. 

He didn't think he would do as well though.  He gave 2 reasons.  Says goalies in his days were not the athletes they are today.  Says goaltending is at a completely different level now with the professionalism.  The other reason he gave is coaching and in particular defensive systems where things are much tighter and more structured now.  

On the other hand, there's a lot more defencemen who can't play defence now.  Imagine Mario going against someone like Barrie, Rielly, Hunt, or Pouliot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If we make the playoffs...in the third spot.   I don't think the odds would be as long as we might think.    Against COL first round?   Slim 

if we manage to nab the 3rd spot, we'd play the Coilers in the first round, not the Avs. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

if we manage to nab the 3rd spot, we'd play the Coilers in the first round, not the Avs. 

Yes i know that ... we are also chasing the second wild card spot and would beat Dallas on any tie breaker ... 3rd is ideal but i'd take COL too. 

Dallas losing two in a row gives us a sliver of hope in that regard.     LA has an easy schedule - but also doubt they pull off six wins in a row as well.  

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes i know that ... we are also chasing the second wild card spot and would beat Dallas on any tie breaker ... 3rd is ideal but i'd take COL too. 

Colorado is a legit Cup contender.  Edmonton doesn't even have NHL quality D or goaltending.  No comparison.

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Yeah but we lost Gadjovich and MacEwan, who combined for 4 goals between them would've been a better option than  Chiasson's 12 goals.

Love this sarcasm! We still bemoan the loss of these two, yet they haven't produced much for their respective new teams either.

• Cheers 1

Don’t have a terribly good feeling about this one tonight. Could very well mean a clinical win for the boys tonight. :lol: This team has defied all logic this year.

But this last quarter of the season has been a fun ride, and I don’t at all mind having sacrificed some draft positioning in exchange for the entertainment.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I don’t at all mind having sacrificed some draft positioning in exchange for the entertainment.

particularly this year, there's no definitive BPA list in the back 1/2 of the 1st round of the draft.

Without Bo its a huge task, but hey you never know. I'd prefer they sit Petan tho. 

Edited by JM_