The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - PIT (Miller offseason)

To Pittsburgh:

Miller, Schenn

To Vancouver:

Marino, Kapanen, 2022 first round pick, 2023 first round pick

Is it the best value for Miller?  Probably not.  But it gives Vancouver a chance to remain competitive even though it is clear that Pittsburgh is getting the best player in the deal BY FAR.  Miller can play anywhere.  Pittsburgh is going to lose either Rust or Malkin.  It'll be a nice replacement.  We would be trading for the idea of what Kapanen and Marino can be.  Kapanen is a 2/3rd line winger who was supposed to build off his Toronto years.  It's been a brutal spell so far in Pittsburgh, but he is trying his butt off.  Marino is a legit top-4 defensive d-man who has the potential to be even better.  He could easily slot into the top pair with Hughes.  The two first round picks will likely be pretty late.

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Garland

Pearson - Horvat - Kapanen

Hoglander - Dickinson - Lammikko

I am assuming we lose Boeser straight-up.  I'm not sure if this top nine is good enough, and the team would still be lacking a top-six winger and a solid 3rd line center.  Our blueline becomes stronger but would now need a replacement for Schenn, who has been great for Vancouver.

What do you folks think?  I hate it when proposals overvalue our players (ie. Raymond/Ballard/2nd), but did I undershoot this one by giving away a franchise player for not enough?  Do the Rangers (or another team) have better assets to offer?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

To Pittsburgh:

Miller, Schenn

To Vancouver:

Is it the best value for Miller?  Probably not.  But it gives Vancouver a chance to remain competitive even though it is clear that Pittsburgh is getting the best player in the deal BY FAR.  Miller can play anywhere.  Pittsburgh is going to lose either Rust or Malkin.  It'll be a nice replacement.  We would be trading for the idea of what Kapanen and Marino can be.  Kapanen is a 2/3rd line winger who was supposed to build off his Toronto years.  It's been a brutal spell so far in Pittsburgh, but he is trying his butt off.  Marino is a legit top-4 defensive d-man who has the potential to be even better.  He could easily slot into the top pair with Hughes.  The two first round picks will likely be pretty late.

I am assuming we lose Boeser straight-up.  I'm not sure if this top nine is good enough, and the team would still be lacking a top-six winger and a solid 3rd line center.  Our blueline becomes stronger but would now need a replacement for Schenn, who has been great for Vancouver.

What do you folks think?  I hate it when proposals overvalue our players (ie. Raymond/Ballard/2nd), but did I undershoot this one by giving away a franchise player for not enough?  Do the Rangers (or another team) have better assets to offer?

If we lose Brock straight up and trade Miller for this we might as well pack it in and re-start the rebuild.   Trade Horvat too because what would he want to stay.   EP probably won't either.     It's an option.  Kap was playing with elite linemates in TO ... to me he's Hogs plus.   Won't be getting much from him.    Marino of course would be ok.   The picks would help our rebuild of course.   PIT is doing their last hurrah right now.   Doubt they want Miller for more then a final cup chance.    Malkin probably gets let go.   He's a great player when he's in the lineup.   But that cap ... could be used in better ways.    Tough to say really ...  not a bad proposal really,  but it won't make our team better next season.      The draft will be telling what direction Allvin wants to go. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It is VERY hard to improve much through trades.  Mostly because the other team is also trying to improve.  A trade can help if it is addressing a specific need but what is the "need" to trade Miller?  I don't get it.  A trade just for the sake of a trade can sometimes even help but it means that we have to get lucky and count on the fact that the other GM that we are trading with doesn't know what he's doing, and that doesn't seem like a very good bet very often.  GCG!

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If we lose Brock straight up and trade Miller for this we might as well pack it in and re-start the rebuild.   Trade Horvat too because what would he want to stay.   EP probably won't either.     It's an option.  Kap was playing with elite linemates in TO ... to me he's Hogs plus.   Won't be getting much from him.    Marino of course would be ok.   The picks would help our rebuild of course.   PIT is doing their last hurrah right now.   Doubt they want Miller for more then a final cup chance.    Malkin probably gets let go.   He's a great player when he's in the lineup.   But that cap ... could be used in better ways.    Tough to say really ...  not a bad proposal really,  but it won't make our team better next season.      The draft will be telling what direction Allvin wants to go. 

the main pieces in this are Miller for Marino. Kapanen is not a good player for us, why do we want to get softer? The rest is magic beans.

No one swaps those two as the main pieces. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

imo, you sacrifice on the wings to improve your defense. we have strength at center, 2 top 4 d men and a great goalie.  JB did a fairly good job of building the canucks. he made some miscalculations though. first he tried to fix the defense by signing 3rd pair d men to big contracts, forcing the coach to play them up the line up, and as JR says, the forwards have the wrong mix. we need to get bigger and faster on the wings and at right defense. we have to take a step back to move forward to cup contention. i would try and trade with ottawa and some of their young prospects. they were interestes i either of boeser or garland.  love those guys but need to improve on speed and toughness.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

To Pittsburgh:

Miller, Schenn

To Vancouver:

Can't see Pittsburgh ever doing this, they need to start getting younger and this doesn't accomplish that for them.

IF we were to move Miller instead of extending him, realistically, the Rangers are probably the perfect trading partner for us. They have the young lineup who would benefit from his leadership which would help them get another cup, and they have the assets available that we need.

PS, not saying your proposal is bad for us, I just don't see it serving the needs of Pittsburgh as well.

Edited by VegasCanuck

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't see Pittsburgh ever doing this, they need to start getting younger and this doesn't accomplish that for them.

IF we were to move Miller instead of extending him, realistically, the Rangers are probably the perfect trading partner for us. They have the young lineup who would benefit from his leadership which would help them get another cup, and they have the assets available that we need.

PS, not saying your proposal is bad for us, I just don't see it serving the needs of Pittsburgh as well.

I think Miller to NYR is over... Copp has been a great fit, so they have the option of simply extending him. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Miller to NYR is over... Copp has been a great fit, so they have the option of simply extending him. 

That's possible as well, but I still think there are other teams out there who would be a better fit for Miller. New Jersey might be one of them. They have a lot of young talent, but could use someone who would pull them together and put them into the playoff picture on a regular basis.

I just think that we're looking more for a team that has the young assets and is ready to take that step but needs more leadership and production.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't see Pittsburgh ever doing this, they need to start getting younger

I think as long as PIT has Crosby, they're going to go for it.

Maybe Malkin (UFA) doesn't re-sign, Miller and Crosby down the middle would help them.

I wonder if Malkin would consider signing in VAN, to play for JR and Allvin,  Or is he much too old and injury-riddled?

No way Pittsburgh trades Marino as they have no replacement for him.  They are also not trading first round picks in consecutive years.  The trade proposal is tilted far in the Canucks’ favour.  Pittsburgh hangs up.

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's possible as well, but I still think there are other teams out there who would be a better fit for Miller. New Jersey might be one of them. They have a lot of young talent, but could use someone who would pull them together and put them into the playoff picture on a regular basis.

I just think that we're looking more for a team that has the young assets and is ready to take that step but needs more leadership and production.

Yknow which team fits that description? LA Kings.  I'd HATE to play against Miller that many times a year though...

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, nameci said:

No way Pittsburgh trades Marino as they have no replacement for him.  They are also not trading first round picks in consecutive years.  The trade proposal is tilted far in the Canucks’ favour.  Pittsburgh hangs up.

Yeah agreed. No way Pitts does this trade. Give up their young cost controlled top 4 RHD, 2 1st round picks and a speedy bottom 6 player. 

Maybe they consider it if you drop one of the 1sts, better chance they say yes if you drop both 1st round picks and make it just one 2nd round pick. 

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think as long as PIT has Crosby, they're going to go for it.

Maybe Malkin (UFA) doesn't re-sign, Miller and Crosby down the middle would help them.

I wonder if Malkin would consider signing in VAN, to play for JR and Allvin,  Or is he much too old and injury-riddled?

I think Malkin still has gas in the tank, but his injury problems are just going to get worse. It's one thing to have someone at 3.5 million taking up cap space on permanent LTIR, but when you're trying to maneuver in the off season, to have someone in the 8 million + range on that status, it would hamstring us on signing other guys too much.