The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Benning screwed himself with spending all cap instead of saving some for the perfect delas.

Evev I would be much better than him in that department and since I listen to good advisers I would have got the same players in draft also… Who needs Benning? :bigblush:

Well if we trade our picks for soft highly skilled players to add to the ones we have, which will probably happen, fans will demand it and we'll start all over again. No cup and not one anytime soon... And as far as JV goes, no one can just when someone will mature, or not, no GM or a psychologist can know for sure BUT if you don't think he had all the tools to be an elite NHL player - his brains then you'd be just like him, clueless..

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Canucks army writers??? Are you f'n kidding me??  Omg that was the best laugh I've had in weeks, your kidding right? Their as bad as the media in Vancouver and their clueless AT BEST and they agreed with the mainstream media that we got screwed on JT Miller..  yeah such a bum wasn't worth what we paid for him him!!! Good grief..  that's like comparing John Garrett to Ken Hodge, b.s. compared to the real deal. BUT I'm still laughing so thanks for that, that's actually serious, needed a laugh today for real.

Ok so anyway it leads me to this last comment, if you get your $&!#e from reading hacks online and in the Vancouver media to get some sort of take on what's going on, dude you need to look elsewhere because your not going to get it from where your looking, half the people in the CDC could write better than those schmucks..  

Well that was actually the best articulated (and most politely stated) summary (story piece) of the devastation & destruction caused by benning that I could find out of the dozens of stories by/on TSN, Sportsnet, Hockey news, ESPN, CBC, CTV, Forbes, CBS Sport, The Athletic, .. and dozens of others.  If you have several hours just google about "JB being fired" and you can sort through them all. They all essentially say the same thing that JB severly messed this franchise up for years to come, was a failure and incompetant but that one story was the best written and most reasonable (fair) of them all and was not exagerated or off topic. That's why I chose that one.

(BTW, A friendly Tip:  When your sorting/reading through the dozens of reports, stories and pieces about the Jim Benning "Reign of Terror" and his catastrophic failure as a GM, you'll likely run across numerous Canucks Twitter comments from hundreds of actual Canucks fans that we're ......lets say    "relieved"  to say it mildly, (haha) that he was FIRED.  Don't get too caught up reading those hundreds of comments from those p'd off and angry fans that wanted his ^$$ hung out to dry, put on a barge and pushed out to sea and were elated to finally have him kicked out of town once and for all.  They were just over reacting - that's why I suggested a more diplomaticaly correct, toned down story like the one I referenced that was factual, precise and not over the top, so the Jim Benning "Kool-Aid" Drinkers that supported him in the past and still haven't come to terms yet with his Failure and Demise - wouldn't choke on their corn flakes.      I'm sure you know a few of those folks and we want to keep CDC moderate & Family Friendly.

Hope this explanation isn't too overwhelming for you and hope it helps!

Cheers!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well that was actually the best articulated (and most politely stated) summary (story piece) of the devastation & destruction caused by benning that I could find out of the dozens of stories by/on TSN, Sportsnet, Hockey news, ESPN, CBC, CTV, Forbes, CBS Sport, The Athletic, .. and dozens of others.  If you have several hours just google about "JB being fired" and you can sort through them all. They all essentially say the same thing that JB severly messed this franchise up for years to come, was a failure and incompetant but that one story was the best written and most reasonable (fair) of them all and was not exagerated or off topic. That's why I chose that one.

(BTW, A friendly Tip:  When your sorting/reading through the dozens of reports, stories and pieces about the Jim Benning "Reign of Terror" and his catastrophic failure as a GM, you'll likely run across numerous Canucks Twitter comments from hundreds of actual Canucks fans that we're ......lets say    "relieved"  to say it mildly, (haha) that he was FIRED.  Don't get too caught up reading those hundreds of comments from those p'd off and angry fans that wanted his ^$$ hung out to dry, put on a barge and pushed out to sea and were elated to finally have him kicked out of town once and for all.  They were just over reacting - that's why I suggested a more diplomaticaly correct, toned down story like the one I referenced that was factual, precise and not over the top, so the Jim Benning "Kool-Aid" Drinkers that supported him in the past and still haven't come to terms yet with his Failure and Demise - wouldn't choke on their corn flakes.      I'm sure you know a few of those folks and we want to keep CDC moderate & Family Friendly.

Hope this explanation isn't too overwhelming for you and hope it helps!

Cheers!

Maybe if it actually meant anything worth more than a Russian ruble! So you pointed out there's hundreds of clueless fans out there, I'd argue there's thousands instead, they all agreed with the clueless media about JT Miller, yeah we got screwed over on that one bigtime didn't we? Seemed like there were thousands of plates of crow served up on king sized plates ever since and I laugh even harder every time he scores a goal or an assist and that's pretty much every game, which is always a good chuckle.. 

So just because there's a lot of people out there that can't think for themselves so they let the media do it for them and parrot it like it's the truth without question, might as well believe every last thing the government tell you is true too right? Well let me tell you there hundreds of thousands who do but doesn't mean their right does it?! because a lot of the government rhetoric is just plain b.s. but if your too stupid to question it, then guess what? They'll just keep on doing it! Much like the bush league media and commentator's like JG.. this has been going on for over 4O years so you want to talk about kool-aid.. 

Hope that's not too overwhelming for you!

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Maybe if it actually meant anything worth more than a Russian ruble! So you pointed out there's hundreds of clueless fans out there, I'd argue there's thousands instead, they all agreed with the clueless media about JT Miller, yeah we got screwed over on that one bigtime didn't we? Seemed like there were thousands of plates of crow served up on king sized plates ever since and I laugh even harder every time he scores a goal or an assist and that's pretty much every game, which is always a good chuckle.. 

So just because there's a lot of people out there that can't think for themselves so they let the media do it for them and parrot it like it's the truth without question, might as well believe every last thing the government tell you is true too right? Well let me tell you there hundreds of thousands who do but doesn't mean their right does it?! because a lot of the government rhetoric is just plain b.s. but if your too stupid to question it, then guess what? They'll just keep on doing it! Much like the bush league media and commentator's like JG.. this has been going on for over 4O years so you want to talk about kool-aid.. 

Hope that's not too overwhelming for you!

Well all the media and most of the fans can't ALL be wrong by stating the obvious; that there was a very serious problem with Ol' Uncle Jim.   I can't comment on your concerns about the JT Miller trade back then as I don't know who said what. Same for comments about government conspiracies, flat earth theories and whether Area-51 actually exist.   Those topics are indeed a bit overwhelming indeed for most Normal folks.

36 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well all the media and most of the fans can't ALL be wrong by stating the obvious; that there was a very serious problem with Ol' Uncle Jim.   I can't comment on your concerns about the JT Miller trade back then as I don't know who said what. Same for comments about government conspiracies, flat earth theories and whether Area-51 actually exist.   Those topics are indeed a bit overwhelming indeed for most Normal folks.

Oh they can't?  Weren't you paying attention to how we got fleeced on the JT Miller deal? The media and fans jumped all over it yet they were what? Wrong! We were the ones who fleeced a top line player for chump change compared to the 9+ mil and UP others he was toe to toe in the scoring derby, first year he finished, I think a point or 2 behind Ovie, yet fans and media couldn't be bothered to think for themselves and actually take a look at his skill set and a lot more that makes him head and shoulders above most player's but yeah let's forget all about that right? 

If that's not enough for you, I don't know what is, and like I said, I didn't like some of what JB did either but there's moves he made that brought us to where we are today, and JR proved that when he said we are close to being a solid contender, so how is it we're even close if JB did everything wrong? We should have finished 32 nd in the league and would have been blown out 10-0 by TO x 2 but we beat beat them x 2.. and other top teams as well so if what your saying is true that never would happened or even close. So r u serious?? That's funny! 

Edited by iceman64

13 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Oh they can't?  Weren't you paying attention to how we got fleeced on the JT Miller deal? The media and fans jumped all over it yet they were what? Wrong! We were the ones who fleeced a top line player for chump change compared to the 9+ mil and UP others he was toe to toe in the scoring derby, first year he finished, I think a point or 2 behind Ovie, yet fans and media couldn't be bothered to think for themselves and actually take a look at his skill set and a lot more that makes him head and shoulders above most player's but yeah let's forget all about that right? 

If that's not enough for you, I don't know what is, and like I said, I didn't like some of what JB did either but there's moves he made that brought us to where we are today, and JR proved that when he said we are close to being a solid contender, so how is it we're even close if JB did everything wrong? We should have finished 32 nd in the league and would have been blown out 10-0 by TO x 2 but we beat beat them x 2.. and other top teams as well so if what your saying is true that never would happened or even close. So r u serious?? That's funny! 

I recall plenty in the media and fanbase were pretty happy with the Miller trade.  The early pages of the JT Miller thread seem to confirm this.  Perhaps the people who "jumped all over it" are who you choose to remember?

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I recall plenty in the media and fanbase were pretty happy with the Miller trade.  The early pages of the JT Miller thread seem to confirm this.  Perhaps the people who "jumped all over it" are who you choose to remember?

I didn't like it but that's only the second time I was wrong haha.

I still think the timing sucked but whatever, got the better player.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I didn't like it but that's only the second time I was wrong haha.

I still think the timing sucked but whatever, got the better player.

A whole two times eh?

Well I suppose we can't all be perfect!

54 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Bad memory you have there, people were freaking out about our 1st, tons of people were freaking out about it, and it started in the media.. I can actually prove that, I remember it well, it would be in my content because of all the flack, my argument then and still is to this day, 1st round picks are never a sure thing where JT Miller was/is.. he was obviously worth 2 first round picks but yet the anti JB crowd couldn't get it out there fast enough after the media started it all. What a joke! 

16 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Bad memory you have there, people were freaking out about our 1st, tons of people were freaking out about it, and it started in the media.. I can actually prove that, I remember it well, it would be in my content because of all the flack, my argument then and still is to this day, 1st round picks are never a sure thing where JT Miller was/is.. he was obviously worth 2 first round picks but yet the anti JB crowd couldn't get it out there fast enough after the media started it all. What a joke! 

Some were.  No doubt.  I remember it as well.  I also remember there being plenty in both the media and general fanbase who were happy with it.  It's funny hearing a two sided discussion on the radio then coming over to find someone on CDC has singled out the argument that they didn't like so that they can hate on the evil media.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Details?  It’s 100% up to Bruce if he’s staying.  He has a contract here for one more year.  

Could be something to do with his assistants. 

Maybe he wants someone else other than King or Shaw or Gustafson?

On 5/5/2022 at 12:00 AM, filthycanuck said:

Finally a GM with some brains, actually wanting to go bargain shopping rather than rushing in front of the line and overpaying any warm body that can skate

Yeah every player is rushing to get in the bargain basement to play in Canada and get bent over by our government, hmmm and I wonder why any great player who signs here HAS to be overpaid, this is throughout the last 40 years 

IF you think that Canada is the destination of choice in the NHL you'd be not only wrong, laughably wrong. In fact let's go over the amount of elite Canadian players all captains of big USA market teams on top of it all.. it's not going to change anytime soon unless out government gives tax breaks and that is not going to happen. 

And then there's the fans here in Vancouver, riots, and even new players are warned.. 

Yeah we're so high on the destination list right?  The opposite being true equals young players trying to break in to the NHL and a more balanced cap, but it HAS to go that way now, agents know they can demand more $ and get more $ and as much as that sucks, it's a major contributor when it comes to cap and having to try and balance it when everyone wants a roster with no depth like it's been all the way up last year since DAY ONE until we had some decent players signed and performing and Demko had a huge part in it, along with Bo and co. with Hogs and Podz helping out on ELC's, so now with 3 mil cap back from Lou, and a trade or two for D upgrade leaves with a lot less goals against, taking pressure of Demko and soon to be Martin, and we're in the playoffs, this past season was horrible losing a 2nd pairing Dman for a long stretch of it on top of it all, which didn't help any but the bright side was forwards adjusting to playing a 200 foot game.

So we all knew this.. all JB did with Poolman and hunt was fill gaps until he knew what Petey, and Hughes would sign for, get rid of LE, bring in a top pairing D in OEL and score a steal in Garland to play up and down the line-up.. all this right up to now, where we're as close to actually have a good roster and depth for competition (for a change)

This is how we got to "close" as in the next 2 years and hopefully onward we not only have a roster but not lose games when we get an injury or 2, like when Tanev or Eddie went down, which was often with no slack available to hold back the likes of mcdavid, OV, Matthews etc... Now we have OEL and Hughes for that and hopefully another top RHD who can sub in on top pairing when needed and then playoffs? Hopefully every year IF we don't sell the farm (for a change)! 

Yeah I had reason to be pissed at JB at times BUT that didn't cloud my vision so I couldn't see the good things that worked out and moves us forward and as much as you don't like it, we're a lot further ahead as JR pointed out than you think. 

4 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Some were.  No doubt.  I remember it as well.  I also remember there being plenty in both the media and general fanbase who were happy with it.  It's funny hearing a two sided discussion on the radio then coming over to find someone on CDC has singled out the argument that they didn't like so that they can hate on the evil media.

The media is bush league in Vancouver and it's been that way for a long time. It's certainly not new, didn't you know Bo is a career 3rd line center?? That's exactly what he turned out to be right? That came out of lain Mac's mouth and was agreed upon by other media and a whole lot of fans, he's too slow, blah blah blah.. yeah they just keep getting it right don't they? And by the way, I'm hardly the only one bitching about the bush league boys and have talked about it often so you go ahead and listen to them if you like but don't be surprised when your eating crow.. 

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah every player is rushing to get in the bargain basement to play in Canada and get bent over by our government, hmmm and I wonder why any great player who signs here HAS to be overpaid, this is throughout the last 40 years 

IF you think that Canada is the destination of choice in the NHL you'd be not only wrong, laughably wrong. In fact let's go over the amount of elite Canadian players all captains of big USA market teams on top of it all.. it's not going to change anytime soon unless out government gives tax breaks and that is not going to happen. 

And then there's the fans here in Vancouver, riots, and even new players are warned.. 

Yeah we're so high on the destination list right?  The opposite being true equals young players trying to break in to the NHL and a more balanced cap, but it HAS to go that way now, agents know they can demand more $ and get more $ and as much as that sucks, it's a major contributor when it comes to cap and having to try and balance it when everyone wants a roster with no depth like it's been all the way up last year since DAY ONE until we had some decent players signed and performing and Demko had a huge part in it, along with Bo and co. with Hogs and Podz helping out on ELC's, so now with 3 mil cap back from Lou, and a trade or two for D upgrade leaves with a lot less goals against, taking pressure of Demko and soon to be Martin, and we're in the playoffs, this past season was horrible losing a 2nd pairing Dman for a long stretch of it on top of it all, which didn't help any but the bright side was forwards adjusting to playing a 200 foot game.

So we all knew this.. all JB did with Poolman and hunt was fill gaps until he knew what Petey, and Hughes would sign for, get rid of LE, bring in a top pairing D in OEL and score a steal in Garland to play up and down the line-up.. all this right up to now, where we're as close to actually have a good roster and depth for competition (for a change)

This is how we got to "close" as in the next 2 years and hopefully onward we not only have a roster but not lose games when we get an injury or 2, like when Tanev or Eddie went down, which was often with no slack available to hold back the likes of mcdavid, OV, Matthews etc... Now we have OEL and Hughes for that and hopefully another top RHD who can sub in on top pairing when needed and then playoffs? Hopefully every year IF we don't sell the farm (for a change)! 

Yeah I had reason to be pissed at JB at times BUT that didn't cloud my vision so I couldn't see the good things that worked out and moves us forward and as much as you don't like it, we're a lot further ahead as JR pointed out than you think. 

Thought we should just clarify that the $3M thats comes off the books for Luongo next year will pretty well all be eatened-up by the additional ~$2M+ we have to pay next year for getting rid of that sub-standard player Uncle Jim wasted another 1st round pick on (Jake "The Ripper") and for Holtby which uncle Jim tried to replace with an even worse B/U goalie (Ha-Lack) who could only win 4 out of 17 games played!   Unfortunately, it's just another in the long list of bad legacies Uncle Jim leaves behind amongst the dozens of others that will haunt us for years to come.

Here are the ACTUAL Facts & Details so now you know:

DEAD CAP

BUYOUT HISTORY (2)   2021-22 2022-23 2023-24      
Braden Holtby   $500,000 $1,900,000        
Jake Virtanen   $50,000 $500,000        
TOTAL   $550,000 $2,400,000
RECAPTURE PENALTY   2021-22 2022-23        
Roberto Luongo   $3,035,212

No matter, I think you're on to something about freeing up cap space with "a trade or two" as that is about the only option JR has this offseason to free up $, and so when/if Brock,  JT (possibly Garland and likely Hoglander) are traded, that should free up enough $ to possibly afford one really good RHD and a reasonable forward or two and we'll likely get our first Round draft pick back too so we can help restock the cupboards that Uncle jim left High & dry after he sacraficed everything to save his job.  That's a brilliant idea you came up with - bravo!

As for your theory on players not wanting to play in Canada, that's a tough call because its quite personal for each player plus they get payed in U$D anyways and pay taxes based only where they play - so it' not completely bad on the tax front playing in Canada - although not the best.   Besides, I think some players are wanting to play in a hockey market and a beautiful place like Vancouver where there are more (but not all - as you know) NORMAL people, rather than some backwater hillbilly town in the deep south of the USA where everyone is paranoid about government conspiracies, taxes, Area-51 and whether the earth is really flat as there are a lot of "different" folks way down there - to say it politely (Haha!!!).  I'm sure you can appreciate all those fine points amongst others that the players contemplate before signing anywhere. 

Edited by RU SERIOUS
Typo Correction