The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JT Miller -- Where do you think he will end up?

Rate this topic

HKSR

What team will JT Miller be on by 2023-24? (can pick more than one)  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, so let's say Miller wants way too much money and term (ie. $8.5M x 8), where does he go?

Assuming the Canucks don't want to trade within the division.... here are my thoughts.

INTERESTED:  These are the teams that could be interested (assuming they don't win the Cup this year):

Boston

Carolina

Florida

Colorado

Toronto

ON THE FENCE:  Teams on the fence... do these teams feel a JT Miller could push them into contender territory?

Columbus

NYI

Winnipeg

NOT INTERESTED - CAP:  These are the teams I don't think would be interested due to cap limitations

NYR -- This boat has sailed.  Copp has been great for them.  It makes a lot more sense for them to simply re-sign him than to sell the farm for Miller.

Dallas -- With big contracts on aging guys like Benn and Seguin, I really don't see them going after Miller considering they have Hintz and Robertson moving up.

St Louis -- With big breakout years for Kyrou and Thomas, there's zero need to sell assets for Miller.  Cap space will be an issue moving forward.

Tampa -- ZERO cap space as it already is, let alone trying to bring in another huge contract.

Minnesota -- See above

Washington -- See above

Pittsburgh -- See above

NOT INTERESTED - REBUILDING:  Rebuilding teams = Zero interest:

Nashville -- Poile has basically said they're gonna start rebuilding soon.

Arizona

Chicago

NJD

Buffalo

Detroit

Montreal

Ottawa

Philly

DIVISIONAL:  I doubt Vancouver would trade Miller to a divisional rival, but here's my thoughts:

Anaheim -- Rebuilding

LA -- Might be interested

Edmonton -- No Cap

Calgary -- No Cap

Las Vegas -- No Cap, but it's Vegas, so who knows...

Seattle -- Rebuilding

San Jose -- Rebuilding soon

What are your thoughts?

Just now, mll said:

Philadelphia would certainly be interested.  They are not planning to go into a rebuild and instead Fletcher is under pressure to make the playoffs.

How does their cap situation look moving forward?

57 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think it depends on the playoffs results in the coming weeks. A team that was expected to go far in the playoffs, but failed could try make an aggressive push for someone like Miller.

I still think the Rangers are the best fit, for all involved.  Last night they looked liked they should have made a big move at the deadline.  

If the Avs don't win this year, I could see a deal there as well

You may be assuming another team has to take on that salary ($8.5), but if it's a players-for-player trade, the cap might not be too bad for another team. But also, the other team might need to create space if they really want Miller. Not VAN's problem. 

With Vegas losing and some chaos seeming to be around the team, they're going to want to make a splash and get right back into the thick of things (playoffs). I could see them possibly trading for Miller, to also mentor Eichel and take some of the heat off him.  Seeing Miller in one of those gold helmets, though, kind of a funny image.  He would not be happy.

A 1-2 punch of Miller and Eichel down the middle would be good for them, for a few years anyway.

Miller for (RD) Whitecloud, (RW/LW) Stevenson and a 1st (2023)

Chandler Stephenson could be the #3C. 

Good Draft year in 2023. Vegas might be desperate and put all of their chips in.

Edit - Just struck me - does Vegas even have a 1st in 2023? They might've already put all of their chips in with Eichel.

Edited by NUCKER67

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You may be assuming another team has to take on that salary ($8.5), but if it's a players-for-player trade, the cap might not be too bad for another team. But also, the other team might need to create space if they really want Miller. Not VAN's problem. 

With Vegas losing and some chaos seeming to be around the team, they're going to want to make a splash and get right back into the thick of things (playoffs). I could see them possibly trading for Miller, to also mentor Eichel and take some of the heat off him.  Seeing Miller in one of those gold helmets, though, kind of a funny image.  He would not be happy.

A 1-2 punch of Miller and Eichel down the middle would be good for them, for a few years anyway.

Good Draft year in 2023. Vegas might be desperate and put all of their chips in.

I really don't see the Canucks moving Miller within the division unless it's a major overpayment.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edit - Just struck me - does Vegas even have a 1st in 2023? They might've already put all of their chips in with Eichel.

Why would we do Vegas any favours? Personally I’d stay far away from Vegas. They are direct competition to the playoffs. Also Puke 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I really don't see the Canucks moving Miller within the division unless it's a major overpayment.

I think as long as JR feels the Canucks came out on top of the trade, that wouldn't be an issue.

Stephenson was 2nd in team scoring, and Whitecloud is a 24 year old RD with some size. And if Vegas doesn't go deep, that 1st could be very nice. It would be a risk for Vegas, but it's Vegas, land of the risk takers. They might look at it as Miller is a much better C than Stephenson, and could take some of the pressure off Eichel. 

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Why would we do Vegas any favours? Personally I’d stay far away from Vegas. They are direct competition to the playoffs. Also Puke 

I get it that Stephenson and Whitecloud aren't sexy names, but I have doubts they can get a Schneider or Marino or Carlo, etc. The 1st rounder next year could be real good. If Miller doesn't flourish, they're doomed.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think as long as JR feels the Canucks came out on top of the trade, that wouldn't be an issue.

Stephenson was 2nd in team scoring, and Whitecloud is a 24 year old RD with some size. And if Vegas doesn't go deep, that 1st could be very nice. It would be a risk for Vegas, but it's Vegas, land of the risk takers. They might look at it as Miller is a much better C than Stephenson, and could take some of the pressure off Eichel. 

Maybe... but man I'd hate to face Miller 7 to 8 times a year while he's in his prime. 

• Cheers 1