The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JT Miller -- Where do you think he will end up?

Rate this topic

HKSR

What team will JT Miller be on by 2023-24? (can pick more than one)  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe... but man I'd hate to face Miller 7 to 8 times a year while he's in his prime. 

Yeah, that would be rough if he's flying out there with Stone and Pacioretty on his wings

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think it depends on the playoffs results in the coming weeks. A team that was expected to go far in the playoffs, but failed could try make an aggressive push for someone like Miller.

Let's go Preds!!!!

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Ok, so let's say Miller wants way too much money and term (ie. $8.5M x 8), where does he go?

Assuming the Canucks don't want to trade within the division.... here are my thoughts.

INTERESTED:  These are the teams that could be interested (assuming they don't win the Cup this year):

Boston

Carolina

Florida

Colorado

Toronto

ON THE FENCE:  Teams on the fence... do these teams feel a JT Miller could push them into contender territory?

Columbus

NYI

Winnipeg

NOT INTERESTED - CAP:  These are the teams I don't think would be interested due to cap limitations

NYR -- This boat has sailed.  Copp has been great for them.  It makes a lot more sense for them to simply re-sign him than to sell the farm for Miller.

Dallas -- With big contracts on aging guys like Benn and Seguin, I really don't see them going after Miller considering they have Hintz and Robertson moving up.

St Louis -- With big breakout years for Kyrou and Thomas, there's zero need to sell assets for Miller.  Cap space will be an issue moving forward.

Tampa -- ZERO cap space as it already is, let alone trying to bring in another huge contract.

Minnesota -- See above

Washington -- See above

Pittsburgh -- See above

NOT INTERESTED - REBUILDING:  Rebuilding teams = Zero interest:

Nashville -- Poile has basically said they're gonna start rebuilding soon.

Arizona

Chicago

NJD

Buffalo

Detroit

Montreal

Ottawa

Philly

DIVISIONAL:  I doubt Vancouver would trade Miller to a divisional rival, but here's my thoughts:

Anaheim -- Rebuilding

LA -- Might be interested

Edmonton -- No Cap

Calgary -- No Cap

Las Vegas -- No Cap, but it's Vegas, so who knows...

Seattle -- Rebuilding

San Jose -- Rebuilding soon

What are your thoughts?

Really think LA, NYR and Colorado. will be top 3 teams after Miller..All 3 teams have lots of prospect with LA and NYR having so many great prospect..

Time for LA to put chips in Kopitar and Daughty, Quick getting old. Miller would give the team the edge there missing..

Colorado-- Kadri will be gone big Void Miller will fill spot and add more..

NYR-- Need to add Miller there Key forwards are 28 and older.. They have lots of prospects..

Vancouver - Need to make trade to add key young prospects for future run 2--3 yrs from now...

We also don't want to be up against cap with a Miller contract 6 yrs X 8.5 million for 30 yr old...

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I still think the Rangers are the best fit, for all involved.  Last night they looked liked they should have made a big move at the deadline.  

If the Avs don't win this year, I could see a deal there as well

38 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Really think LA, NYR and Colorado. will be top 3 teams after Miller..All 3 teams have lots of prospect with LA and NYR having so many great prospect..

Time for LA to put chips in Kopitar and Daughty, Quick getting old. Miller would give the team the edge there missing..

Colorado-- Kadri will be gone big Void Miller will fill spot and add more..

NYR-- Need to add Miller there Key forwards are 28 and older.. They have lots of prospects..

Vancouver - Need to make trade to add key young prospects for future run 2--3 yrs from now...

We also don't want to be up against cap with a Miller contract 6 yrs X 8.5 million for 30 yr old...

On many levels I think NYR are a good fit as well.  They will have a need for a versatile forward (center/wing) as their media predicts there's no way they'll be able to re-sign Strome who is hugely important to their success.  They have the young assets (particularly ones which we don't have in the system - defence/center) who are not getting the playing time they likely would on a team with less depth than the Rangers and who could be expendable.  And they've been trending up recently which typically means you look to add elite talent when the time is right.

BUT,

The closer I look at the Rangers cap/contract structure - it's clear that if there's interest it would take some considerable manoeuvring to get done.  If, as speculated, they won't be able to afford to re-sign Strome, then there would be work to do to trade for & sign Miller there as he'd likely cost the Rangers double or close to it than Strome would.  Miller would certainly command a lengthy deal including clauses and the Rangers already have 6 players with some kind of M-NTC or NMC - definitely not ideal for an already top-heavy cap team (between Panarin/Trouba,Kreider/Zib's new deal they make up almost 45% of the entire team cap and they all have NTC clauses of some kind - Miller's new deal would certainly mean over 50% of the entire team cap on 5 guys - like I said, not unheard of, but not an ideal way to build a sustainable contending team).   Plus, they've given away a significant number of picks over the next 3 years (they're missing 6 of the next 21 picks) including this year's first if they win 2 PO rounds. 

So, I like some of the pieces that the Rangers could potentially provide - but a move like that that on the Rangers part would certainly be a sign of them going 'all in' and I'm not sure they're that close just yet - as others have mentioned, anywhere Miller might end up could depend on what several teams find out about themselves in this year's playoffs. 

I could see the Avs being in on him but I don’t think Byram should be the big piece we are after (love the player but injury history is worrisome). Byram, a late future first and so so prospects isn’t enough, if they’d move Newhook in the deal over Byram I’m all for it but I don’t think they will. 

I see the Rangers landing him this off-season, they have the most prospects/young players to offer in a swap with quality Dmen and forwards to make the right combination. 

Very curious to see how it shakes out 

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

On many levels I think NYR are a good fit as well.  They will have a need for a versatile forward (center/wing) as their media predicts there's no way they'll be able to re-sign Strome who is hugely important to their success.  They have the young assets (particularly ones which we don't have in the system - defence/center) who are not getting the playing time they likely would on a team with less depth than the Rangers and who could be expendable.  And they've been trending up recently which typically means you look to add elite talent when the time is right.

BUT,

The closer I look at the Rangers cap/contract structure - it's clear that if there's interest it would take some considerable manoeuvring to get done.  If, as speculated, they won't be able to afford to re-sign Strome, then there would be work to do to trade for & sign Miller there as he'd likely cost the Rangers double or close to it than Strome would.  Miller would certainly command a lengthy deal including clauses and the Rangers already have 6 players with some kind of M-NTC or NMC - definitely not ideal for an already top-heavy cap team (between Panarin/Trouba,Kreider/Zib's new deal they make up almost 45% of the entire team cap and they all have NTC clauses of some kind - Miller's new deal would certainly mean over 50% of the entire team cap on 5 guys - like I said, not unheard of, but not an ideal way to build a sustainable contending team).   Plus, they've given away a significant number of picks over the next 3 years (they're missing 6 of the next 21 picks) including this year's first if they win 2 PO rounds. 

So, I like some of the pieces that the Rangers could potentially provide - but a move like that that on the Rangers part would certainly be a sign of them going 'all in' and I'm not sure they're that close just yet - as others have mentioned, anywhere Miller might end up could depend on what several teams find out about themselves in this year's playoffs. 

At this point, I think there'll have to be roster players and cap coming back for any miller move.........one run at a Cup isn't enough for teams to mortgage their future for.

I wouldn't be against a deal around K'Andre Miller, a prospect and a pick from NYR, or the same from Col around Girard........though I think Byram is still an intriguing deal.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

Watching FLA/WSH-what a series this is gonna be.  Hammers home the point why having heavy players that are skilled and can skate are so damn valuable.   If FLA gets bounced in the 1st round I could definitely see them making a push for JTM.  

• Like 1

Will have to see if there are some early exits from the playoffs yet this year. Florida, if they bow out early is interesting. Same with the Rangers. The Avs, but they aren't bowing out early by the looks of it. 

I think it's 50/50 if he ends up a Canuck past this contract.    Think something special could be brewing but maybe that's just indigestion lol.    Allvin isn't going to come out and say "we are going to do everything we can do to re-sign - blank - player".     He's going to do his job.    One of Miller/Horvat or Brock is going to be moved the next 14 months. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Toronto also doesn't have anything to trade that would make it worth our while.

TO at the TDL media guys suggested their two best prospects plus Kerfoot plus their first.     Two smallish forwards and a 3C.    The prospects are a second rounder and the 15th overall they got for Kapanen.

Edited by IBatch

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

TO at the TDL media guys suggested their two best prospects plus Kerfoot plus their first.     Two smallish forwards and a 3C.    The prospects are a second rounder and the 15th overall they got for Kapanen.

TO wants Miller?  Fine... give us Kerfoot, Sandin, Amirov, and 1st round pick.