The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Sure but I'm just saying calling him the best winger the Canucks will ever have, 1000pt player at this stage is a bit premature lol

More premature than suggesting that one of the two right hand defense men will somehow magically be the end all be all for the team?

Suggesting a 17 year old Olympic MVP, big game ppg player that skates that well and is as clutch as he's been against men for almost two years would somehow be a more premature suggestion to make the 1000 point barrier in the NHL

While also in the same arguments

Suggesting Jiricek or Nemec will somehow magically cure all our woes and be the yin to Hughes yang for their career....

Just saying

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Because he's 18 years old

He wasn't considered a super star talent - and still isn't as he would be a no brainer first overall then and all the hype and media would be around him

Do you know how hard it is to score 1000 pts in the NHL? Let alone get 500 pts?

There's a higher probability he busts, doesn't play 200 games in the NHL than he scores 1000 pts bud....

Nolan Patrick had more buzz than this guy and look where he is.

That's correct Nolan Patrick did. Now let that stay fresh in your mind when you sit in quote scouting reports.

These experts are usually not experts

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I know right D is desperately needed but man having him and Podz as a pair of PFs would be fun to watch over the next few years. 

Yeah, I heard (SN650) that Slafkovsky is a beast, a physical specimen that will have no trouble being an NHL player, probably right away. It would be terribly difficult to pass on him. Canucks could sure use a player like him in their Top 6.   

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I heard (SN650) that Slafkovsky is a beast, a physical specimen that will have no trouble being an NHL player, probably right away. It would be terribly difficult to pass on him. Canucks could sure use a player like him in their Top 6.   

I would argue that size and strength is just one of many elements that dictate if a player will be successful in the NHL. Guddy is a great example of this. Conversely, you get a guy like Goldobin who has the actual skill, but not enough defensive acumen nor size to be effective.

I'll also mention that there have been *plenty* of very highly touted prospects over the years who just didn't work out, although they had all or most of the tools required to be successful. Yak, Dal Colle, Daigle, Stephan, Volchkov, Filatov, Reinhart, DiPietro, Puljujarvi, and maybe even our own Juolevi were expected to be almost certain NHL players to varying degrees and some were considered likely franchise players.

Nothing is written in stone.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Nothing is written in stone.

Exciting thought: moving up, but if they decide to hold at #15, is there a player there that could later in a re-draft, be in the Top 10?

Miroshnichenko? Lambert? Geekie? Howard?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Exciting thought: moving up, but if they decide to hold at #15, is there a player there that could later in a re-draft, be in the Top 10?

Miroshnichenko

Hands down, kids a beauty

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Nolan Patrick had a bag full of red flags healthwise. Horrible comparison.

Ok great, go through each NHL  draft since 1971 and show me how many top 3 picks had 1000 pts....

you'll be surprised how few.

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

there always is..,,its amazing looking back at how often common sense picks are missed because of too much analysis...nitpicking

this kid is too small (aka caulfield) - but all he does is score at every level and not 30% of the time Caulfield was scoring a goal per game at every level or better, you can't teach that level of talent - yet too small...and sure enough, he goes to college, does the same thing, comes to the NHL and has shown as a rookie he has elite potential...

Petey, Euro, not big enough

Quinn Hughes, not big enough....

Makar fourth overall... the first time we saw him play we could see there were 3 misses there.

I could go on and on, but I do think sometimes these scouts actually discount pure talent and over analyze things...

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What if the Canucks move a player for the number 2 overall and still hang on to the fifteenth as well? Never know what Patrick Allvin and Rutherford have up their sleeves...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

What if the Canucks move a player for the number 2 overall and still hang on to the fifteenth as well? Never know what Patrick Allvin and Rutherford have up their sleeves...

That would be the best outcome for us, just not sure if its possible. Let's hope! Grab a top D with #2 and Miro at 15...that would be a coup

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Because he's 18 years old

He wasn't considered a super star talent - and still isn't as he would be a no brainer first overall then and all the hype and media would be around him

Do you know how hard it is to score 1000 pts in the NHL? Let alone get 500 pts?

There's a higher probability he busts, doesn't play 200 games in the NHL than he scores 1000 pts bud....

Nolan Patrick had more buzz than this guy and look where he is.

So what position do you see him drafted in?

.. and what average ceiling (points ) do you put him at in his NHL career?

like mine,

yours is only an opinion.… 

.. but to just naysay others who try to interpret what they might see in a player isn’t really offering an opinion.

What Youve offered could be said about any player drafted..

Including Patrice Bergeron,  It’s a generic statement,. bud.

Uh oh saw on HFboards that Friedman said the Canucks are trying to move up and it might not be for Slafkovsky. Hopefully Rutherford and Alvin don’t fall into the Juolevi needs over BPA curse! If they get 2nd and pass on Slafkovsky I’d be pretty disappointed. All Canucks fans will be having flashbacks of leaving Tkachuk and picking Juolevi. Alvin and Rutherford had already mentioned before that they understand what we lack but by the time a prospect gets to the show needs could change so BPA is how you should draft. Here’s hoping they’re true to their words if they do manage to move up into the top of the draft.

Edited by flickyoursedin

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So what position do you see him drafted in?

.. and what average ceiling (points ) do you put him at in his NHL career?

like mine,

yours is only an opinion.… 

.. but to just naysay others who try to interpret what they might see in a player isn’t really offering an opinion.

What Youve offered could be said about any player drafted..

Including Patrice Bergeron,  It’s a generic statement,. bud.

For sure, but my point was simple. To suggest a player is going to be a 1000 pt player, knowing how hard that is, when he is not a sure thing superstar / generational player like Crosby, Matthews, McDavid, hell not even seen as good as a Sedin, is not a realistic view in my opinion.

1000 pts is bloody hard to achieve. And players who do, are generally seen in their draft years as uber exceptional....no one in this draft is, and if there was such a player there would be no doubt about who was going first overall.

• Cheers 1

The Devils have a plethora of prospects and young talent. Them dangling the 2OA is a no brainer for some seasoned good player. If they want Miller, they will have to give more and I’m sure they would (I just hope it doesn’t come to that and that he stays here).

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I know right D is desperately needed but man having him and Podz as a pair of PFs would be fun to watch over the next few years. 

There are no good RHDs in this draft. Rare are the Ds. It’s a forwards draft.

An RHD would come from a trade.

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

For sure, but my point was simple. To suggest a player is going to be a 1000 pt player, knowing how hard that is, when he is not a sure thing superstar / generational player like Crosby, Matthews, McDavid, hell not even seen as good as a Sedin, is not a realistic view in my opinion.

1000 pts is bloody hard to achieve. And players who do, are generally seen in their draft years as uber exceptional....no one in this draft is, and if there was such a player there would be no doubt about who was going first overall.

It’s probably harder to put a ceiling on him playing overseas,  not to say his game is different because of that, or the “ice size” argument has leniency..  but just for a North American point of view and accessibility to see him play.

Bit the kid plays fully heads up, that size moves impressively, his skill set is above average,  and he is not selfish.

He seems definitely a top 5 pick.

Order sometimes is dependent on a teams need in certain positions.

I agree one can’t put a point on how he can or will succeed,  and being drafted by a certain Team, can make or break a players success.….   But perhaps a fairer ceiling is as a .700 ppg player , over a healthy career.

That in itself is still remarkable.

He has a complete tool box,  I’d like to find more info on his defensive, 200 ft game,.  But I do think he skates and anticipates well enough to be solid in that aspect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

The Devils have a plethora of prospects and young talent. Them dangling the 2OA is a no brainer for some seasoned good player. If they want Miller, they will have to give more and I’m sure they would (I just hope it doesn’t come to that and that he stays here).

I don’t think there’s going to be any guarantees to a contract, unless he signs with us.   I think he would chose UFA if an extension is not reached with Vancouver.

Which basically means he will trade as a rental, and I think that devalues him to any team he could be shipped to in a trade.

• Like 1