The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New management worries me

Rate this topic

grandmaster

12 hours ago, iceman64 said:

What other terrible contracts do we have? OEL? Certainly not, we desperately need a top pairing D  also Myers is a big boy we will need if we ever hope to get anywhere if we make the playoffs unless we sign some other size OR stay the same old course of a soft highly skilled regular season team that get beat on and ousted by bigger skilled teams that know all they have to do is get rough and we sink... For the 42nd year straight, kind of getting a tad old but the story remains the same. We need a team balanced with scoring, toughness and team D, we lack in the latter that has to be dealt with, the best team at it always wins the cup and if we had depth and not a non existent farm the times we had teams close, we'd have a cup by now and wanting more. 

OEL is a terrible contract, the fact that you can’t acknowledge that is almost mind blowing. The Myers contract is bad as well, he has size but when you watch him play do you see a guy with a nasty streak? I don’t. He’s not a terrible player but he doesn’t play to his size and isn’t worth 6 million. Tucker Poolman for the next 3 seasons sure isn’t ideal. Dickinson and Pearson make up almost 6 million a year for the next 2 seasons and that’s not ideal either, Pearson is a contributor and I actually like him but he’s probably best suited outside of the top 6 and Dickinson will hopefully take a step forward from his play this year but that is yet to be seen. Contracts like OEL and Myers in particular hinder a team from competing especially when we have younger more useful and competent players we’d like to get locked up

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

OEL is a terrible contract, the fact that you can’t acknowledge that is almost mind blowing. The Myers contract is bad as well, he has size but when you watch him play do you see a guy with a nasty streak? I don’t. He’s not a terrible player but he doesn’t play to his size and isn’t worth 6 million. Tucker Poolman for the next 3 seasons sure isn’t ideal. Dickinson and Pearson make up almost 6 million a year for the next 2 seasons and that’s not ideal either, Pearson is a contributor and I actually like him but he’s probably best suited outside of the top 6 and Dickinson will hopefully take a step forward from his play this year but that is yet to be seen. Contracts like OEL and Myers in particular hinder a team from competing especially when we have younger more useful and competent players we’d like to get locked up

I think it's safe to say that JR will entertain any conversations from other teams RE; those 5 guys !   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think it's safe to say that JR will entertain any conversations from other teams RE; those 5 guys !   

I think he will too, without a doubt. I just couldn’t believe the other poster said there was no bad contracts. I doubt OEL will waive his NMC for any team that would take him on but we will see. Myers may be easier to move so fingers crossed one of them can be moved out without a bad contract involved coming our way 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I think he will too, without a doubt. I just couldn’t believe the other poster said there was no bad contracts. I doubt OEL will waive his NMC for any team that would take him on but we will see. Myers may be easier to move so fingers crossed one of them can be moved out without a bad contract involved coming our way 

Yes, unfortunately it's human nature for people to get attached and find "comfort" in who & what the know and as players stick around longer and longer it's only natural for fans to gain more attachment and sympathy for them and find it hard to say "Goodbye".     It's human nature.

However, the reallity in the NHL is that players are nothing more than pieces of machinery in a factory and like any business, if those machines are not providing optimum output based on cost and quality they must be replaced as soon as possible or your product will suffer. 

So strong managers are needed and hired to get over the emotion of running a business and make those tough decisions based on performance and JR appears to be on track to doing just that - which is refreshing to see especially after we've seen a GM like Benning make so many mistakes and have so many oversights that has left where we are today...........with annother bottom of the pack finish and out of the playoffs - as usual.    That was NOT acceptable!     

GO JR GO !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

OEL is a good top pairing LD. Those who think otherwise are delusional. What he needs, much like Hughes, is a rock steady physical RD. Myers is not that guy; he is more an offensive Dman if allowed to wheel. We need another physical RD this off-season, but that doesn’t mean to jettison Myers. Let’s use him on the third pairing in 2022/23, then flip him at trade deadline. He’d be great next to a more defensive Dman like Burroughs or act as a vet next to Rathbone in sheltered minutes. A defense of the following would look great:

OEL - FA RD

Hughes- Schenn

Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs-Myers

And those in the trade Pearson camp are delusional too; he is a solid player. We need another FA LW to play next to Peterson.

To free up cap, we need to do everything to get rid of Poolman & Dickenson; even attaching higher end draft picks! And don’t resign Beoser; use the $ for a big bodied FA LW for Petterson with decent hands.

43 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

OEL is a good top pairing LD. Those who think otherwise are delusional. What he needs, much like Hughes, is a rock steady physical RD. Myers is not that guy; he is more an offensive Dman if allowed to wheel. We need another physical RD this off-season, but that doesn’t mean to jettison Myers. Let’s use him on the third pairing in 2022/23, then flip him at trade deadline. He’d be great next to a more defensive Dman like Burroughs or act as a vet next to Rathbone in sheltered minutes. A defense of the following would look great:

OEL - FA RD

Hughes- Schenn

Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs-Myers

And those in the trade Pearson camp are delusional too; he is a solid player. We need another FA LW to play next to Peterson.

To free up cap, we need to do everything to get rid of Poolman & Dickenson; even attaching higher end draft picks! And don’t resign Beoser; use the $ for a big bodied FA LW for Petterson with decent hands.

So trade our higher end draft picks, OEL is a top pairing defenceman we just need to sign another top pairing right shot Dman, let Boeser walk and instead of trying to trade Myers use that 6 million on our 3rd pairing? I’m glad this teams hands is in Rutherford and Allvin and not yours, that would be a nightmare 

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, it was pretty clear 8 years ago, we needed to rebuild the right way. We didn't. It's pretty obvious to me, painfully obvious to me, that Benning took shortcuts, and didn't have a clear plan of attack. He drafted decently, but every GM has their slew of picks every single year. He did a decent job in the area of amateur drafting. His pro scouting was terrible. Who signs bottom six players to 3-4M dollar deals? And he didn't even just sign one of them, he signed a few of them. that crippled the Canucks and their cap situation. We are still paying for some of his dumb decisions today, even after he's been fired. Do we reap the good decisions? Of course. But he's made more bad ones than he did good. Which is why we are in the situation we're in - a middling team. Neither great, or contending, nor are we bottom worst. MIddle of the damn pack. 

A soft tweener team is what Vancouver wants actually as weird as that sounds, we love our entertaining soft highly skilled teams year in and year out and if we had a tougher roster we sold the farm to get it. 

Nothing new under the sun since 1974, trust me other that. So no matter who owns this team, GM's or coaches will never get a cup but remain a tweener team or a bit better.. NOT elite... But whatever, not much one can do about it but hope in a miracle someone other than JB, and a cpl of other GM's in the past tried to toughen us up but will JR and AL remember we need more schenn in the line-up, not tons but some. 2012 with depth this time would be a shock! But I'll believe it when I see it... 

• Huggy Bear 1

47 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

A soft tweener team is what Vancouver wants actually as weird as that sounds, we love our entertaining soft highly skilled teams year in and year out and if we had a tougher roster we sold the farm to get it. 

Nothing new under the sun since 1974, trust me other that. So no matter who owns this team, GM's or coaches will never get a cup but remain a tweener team or a bit better.. NOT elite... But whatever, not much one can do about it but hope in a miracle someone other than JB, and a cpl of other GM's in the past tried to toughen us up but will JR and AL remember we need more schenn in the line-up, not tons but some. 2012 with depth this time would be a shock! But I'll believe it when I see it... 

I gave you a teddy bear because we don't have a Gino Emoje.

We were pretty tough in the 80s but lacked the skill

pretty tough again during the Quinn era, Gino, Sergio, Hunter, Antoski, Peca...

then we traded Peca for Almo and have been pretty soft ever since

In recent times we seem to feel the need to fill the tough guy spot with young men

went to the finals with Oreskovich, who was not suited to play hockey let alone patrol the 4th line in the playoff.

the next year we had 20 year old Zack Kassian, I think I'd rather have 31 year old ZK

Then Dorsett who was just small

Then Jake, haha mis-cast on so many levels

Now its Highmore, or is it Lammikko, or Lockwood, or Richardson.

If its Richardson at least he isn't 20 years old

Maybe its Petan

edit, 

this is the team that Chose Bobby Lalonde over Larry Robinson

so it goes back to 1971

Edited by lmm

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

.649 win% since Green was fired says otherwise. Good for 2nd in the pacific at a full season. 

IDK

you know trying to quantify Lightnning in a Bottle is a little dicey

Look at Vegas' 2017-18 roster and tell me it was the second best team in the league.

Maybe it was their coach, but 2 years later he was fired

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

IDK

you know trying to quantify Lightnning in a Bottle is a little dicey

Look at Vegas' 2017-18 roster and tell me it was the second best team in the league.

Maybe it was their coach, but 2 years later he was fired

The numbers are the numbers for Boudreau as for Vegas going to the Finals and following it up the nest season as a contender again proves they were up there. I was also vocal about firing Gallant being a stupid panic move by their management as was firing McPhee. 

1 hour ago, lmm said:

In recent times we seem to feel the need to fill the tough guy spot with young men

went to the finals with Oreskovich, who was not suited to play hockey let alone patrol the 4th line in the playoff.

the next year we had 20 year old Zack Kassian, I think I'd rather have 31 year old ZK

Maybe its Petan

edit, 

so it goes back to 1971

Current team should have more toughness but JB lost Gadjovich and Macewan on waivers which was another case of his awful

asset management. Bringing Chiasson in the lineup to lose one of them was stupid at the time and with hindsight 

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Current team should have more toughness but JB lost Gadjovich and Macewan on waivers which was another case of his awful

asset management. Bringing Chiasson in the lineup to lose one of them was stupid at the time and with hindsight 

Those two guys have no hands, just size! And Chaisson isn’t the answer either, but to think MacEwan or Gadjovich are anything other than 4 line fodder is humerus.

Honestly….If Kane wasnt such a Dbag, he is exactly the player we need to play with Petterson and Garland.

lol…and obviously u don’t know numbers, contract lengths, nor have you looked where NHL contracts are going; OEL is not an atrocious contract, nor was Myers when it was signed. Both players improved our d, versus Antivax Hamonic or Poolman.  Why trade Myers this off-season when u need the $$ in 2023.

And what has allvin done so far; trade a POS it Hamonic for a 3rd…win. Then, give that 3rd back for a 7/8 Dman that would have been on waivers. 

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The numbers are the numbers for Boudreau as for Vegas going to the Finals and following it up the nest season as a contender again proves they were up there. I was also vocal about firing Gallant being a stupid panic move by their management as was firing McPhee. 

For sure; BB system just better suits our core better. Now that he has been extended/confirmed, hopefully Allvin can tune the supporting cast to further support his system. Now that we have a proven HC, time to match the team to him. Let’s see in JR and Allvin are up to the task….I’m Leary.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Those two guys have no hands, just size! And Chaisson isn’t the answer either, but to think MacEwan or Gadjovich are anything other than 4 line fodder is humerus.

Honestly….If Kane wasnt such a Dbag, he is exactly the player we need to play with Petterson and Garland.

lol…and obviously u don’t know numbers, contract lengths, nor have you looked where NHL contracts are going; OEL is not an atrocious contract, nor was Myers when it was signed. Both players improved our d, versus Antivax Hamonic or Poolman.  Why trade Myers this off-season when u need the $$ in 2023.

And what has allvin done so far; trade a POS it Hamonic for a 3rd…win. Then, give that 3rd back for a 7/8 Dman that would have been on waivers. 

Gadjovich and Macewan both add toughness and are cheap, I’m not saying they’re top 6 players but they’re better to have then a season of Chiasson. And anyone with a shred of hockey knowledge knows the OEL contract is terrible and at his age is only getting worse. I’m not saying he’s a bad player but THE CONTRACT absolutely sucks. On the hook for over 7.2 million through his age 35 season with a full no move, take off your homer glasses. You’re hilarious. This must be Jim Bennings account

5 hours ago, lmm said:

Maybe its Petan

edit, 

so it goes back to 1971

You can do the huggy thing all day long but again, rosters were acquired here with selling the farm. Nothing new.. and look where that got us.. do we have a cup i'm missing besides the Millionaire's? 

As i've been on about for a long time now that the best team balanced with skill speed and toughness with good depth wins cup or opportunities to win, and I know you know that, so until we have some toughness in balance WITH depth, no way we win a cup. So I'm not saying go back to the knuckle dragger 80's but just enough to balance it out. No more, no less.

The new NHL only applies to the reg season but it leans in the 80's style too, not like it used to but it still plays a part today and that's still our Achilles heel because when it gets tough and injuries happen like they do, is obviously when the depth roll means so much. But we don't have that now and never really had, small bits here and there but nowhere near a significant amount to make any difference. I wish it wasn't that case but it is.. meh, what can you do?!

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, lmm said:

Maybe its Petan

edit, 

so it goes back to 1971

So you overlook:  Jovo, Brashear, Rypien, Bertuzzi, Walker, Bieksa, Hordichuk....

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1