The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New management worries me

Rate this topic

grandmaster

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wondering why people say JB's 7.5 years is almost a decade- when it isn't?

Math much?

The other thing is....you don't blast out of the gates "good to go". 

Some don't really factor in that over time teams come together, it isn't add water and stir.

It's like those suggesting a "rebuild" now??!! If you're impatient about making the playoffs be prepared to add another handful of years on if you rebuild. 

Be careful what you wish for.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If you don't have links or proof, I'm going to believe what you're saying about as much as I believe in the tooth fairy. Who knows, perhaps I should consider the tooth fairy a more credible source...

You want a rebuild and that's fine. That's your opinion. It doiesn't mean it's going to happen. It's very unlikely to happen given what we've heard from management so far.

But your posts typically reflect more on the side of propaganda anyway than actual truth, so I typically take your posts with less than a grain of salt anyway if I'm being honest. lol

Of course it's speculation and all it is, is the opinion of one person - like yours.  The truth and likely outcome may end up somewhere in the middle of where we both believe it will be but (for wrong or right) I've often been correct in the past, with many of my statements and predictions and that is a fact!  But like everyone else I've been completely off the mark on others.   

That is the beauty of this forum, to hear-out others opinions whether they agree with our own opinions or not.   If we all sung the same song, we'd be a satellite of Russia and this place would be so vanilla and boring!  So enjoy the freedom of opinions on here which is a fantastic thing to behold and celebrate.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't know if it's terrible drafting or not, but Canucks could sure use Slavin  and Pesce right about now

This is a new management team, consisting of some very smart hockey people, scouting, analytics. I trust they'll make the right moves for the betterment of the team. I could care less if they trade Miller, if it improves the Canucks long term and makes them a contender.

I look back when we recently had Benning and Desjardins, then Green.  The Canucks are in much better hands these days.

I remain skeptical and won't hold my breath.

13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Poolman has a super long term, or career threatening injury?

He has chronic migraines.  These typically onset in the 20's.  For some people this condition worsens over time and is debilitating.  It could potentially derail his NHL career. It cost him most of the last season.  There is a possibility he takes a long time to get over it (as in years). It will be interesting to see if he is ready to start next season and if he has a recurrence.  If so he could be in danger of a long term problem. Alternatively, if he is ready to go next season and has no recurrence, he is good to go.  At this point it is an unknown.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Apparently the new management sucks already... I guess evaluating the entire team including coaches etc is the wrong thing to do and they should just make decisions without really getting a grasp of the team as a whole. 

Never fail CDC, doesn't matter who the manager, coach or players are some with always whine or disagree with the decisions made...Good thing you are NOT paying any of them though right!?

Enjoy the off season of meddling...there is a thing called the outdoors and sunshine, should experience some vitamin D and fresh air instead of over analyzing every single thing the team does or doesn't do!

1. I don't see anyone saying they suck. Simply that we're a little worried as to what we're hearing/seeing so far (for me, not securing BB and allowing other teams a crack at him).

2. It's stormy outside.

3. It's playoffs, we're still in hockey mode despite the fact that our team isn't playing.

It's not off season meddling...it's simply interest and sharing opinions.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

1. I don't see anyone saying they suck. Simply that we're a little worried as to what we're hearing/seeing so far (for me, not securing BB and allowing other teams a crack at him).

2. It's stormy outside.

3. It's playoffs, we're still in hockey mode despite the fact that our team isn't playing.

It's not off season meddling...it's simply interest and sharing opinions.

650 saying Bruce did an interview back east and said there are a couple of details to work out and he’s hoping to have it all fixed up by next week.  (I think that’s what was said)

So, if that’s accurate, then Bruce will be back.  I’m still sceptical, because the first round losers will be thinking about coaches for next year and Bruce could be of interest to them.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

650 saying Bruce did an interview back east and said there are a couple of details to work out and he’s hoping to have it all fixed up by next week.  (I think that’s what was said)

So, if that’s accurate, then Bruce will be back.  I’m still sceptical, because the first round losers will be thinking about coaches for next year and Bruce could be of interest to them.  

Those teams would have to act extremely quickly.  June is only like 2 weeks away.

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Those teams would have to act extremely quickly.  June is only like 2 weeks away.

Those teams, and others, can be talking to 

bruce’s Agent right now.  Just waiting for the dust to settle.  

Those teams, and others, can be talking to 

bruce’s Agent right now.  Just waiting for the dust to settle.  

Is that tampering if we catch them?  And do we get a pick if so??  I want a pick!

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Is that tampering if we catch them?  And do we get a pick if so??  I want a pick!

I think he’s free to talk to other teams.  JR left it open for Bruce to make a choice by June 1.  No?  

• Vintage 1

I think he’s free to talk to other teams.  JR left it open for Bruce to make a choice by June 1.  No?  

Oh maybe.  I thought that he had until June 1 to decide whether or not he was staying in Vancouver.  If the answer was no then at that time he would be free to talk to other teams.  That was just my own assumption though.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

JT has been out performing his 5M salary the day he came here couple years back. He has now become even more valuable to the team and his next contract will reflect that (hopefully in a Canucks uniform). Coincidentally, we haven’t had a performer like him since the Sedins 

That may all be true

but the Sedins did not live up to their 4 year $28M contracts signed on Nov 1, 2013

they were just 33 at the time but those contracts started the cycle we are onw in of waiting for bad big contracts to expire

first it was the Sedins 

then is was Loui

and now we have OEL

The Sedins might have been nearly worth the contracts in year 1, but the final 3 years at $7M for about 50 points was terrible

Loui was never worth $6M in a Canuck uni

and OEL is not worth $7 M now, and we have some time left to ponder the rest of it

So I guess the question with JT is how many years will he be worth his deal and how many will we be back where we have been since 2014, waiting out another bad contract? 

• Cheers 2

On 5/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, grandmaster said:

The trajectory of this team is upwards, if we keep the main pieces intact.

Reasons why:

- the team has proven coaching was their biggest problem at the start of the season. The record speaks for itself once BB arrived. We just barely missed the playoff mark!

- QH is a top 10 NHL defender who has made great strides in his defensive side of the game. He is getting better and the sky is the limit for this guy. I see him getting a Norris trophy in the near future.

- Miller effect. One of the greatest leaders this team has seen. Plays well in all situations and puts his heart and soul out there. He will continue to be a top 10 NHL scoring leader & gets better every season he plays.

- Demko is a top 5 NHL goalie and will have a good back up next season. He won’t be so overplayed, making his game stronger all season.

The above 3 is what you need to win a Cup. The complimentary pieces in Bo, Brock and Petey are also nothing to sneeze at.

They seem so tight and truly care for each other (look at Brock’s press conference).

Our core is getting better and I have trust that with BB, we can not only make the playoffs next season, we can contend.

New management and their remarks so far scare me. I fear we will be taking a  step backwards when the team is destined to go further forward. It so obvious they are itching to make changes so they have their stamp on things. Let’s hope they are not bad decisions…..

Sadly you mentioned contend and that won't be much of one, Allvin in his interview said we need more skill and speed but never mentioned toughness to balance it out. 

That's been lacking for a long time and we all know how tough the playoffs are. 

I was crossing my fingers we'd not be be another fast butter soft team but looks like a "here we go again" scenario.. 

Oh well, at least watching the games before a first round exit will be better than nothing but kinda sad about it. Sigh.. smh... Why can't we have a few more schenn types in the line-up? Who come with just enough speed and skill + take care of business WHEN, not if, it happens. I sense the Sedins just woke from the dead in Alien, Hughes and Flow especially who will undoubtedly become popular targets. Maybe one day it'll change, probably not but maybe. Until then, still no cup hopes no matter what if this keeps up.  

• Cheers 1

On 5/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I agree the asset management was terrible in those cases and of course Miller makes us a better team next year and improves our chances at the playoffs, I’ve never said otherwise. I do think it’s unwise to sign him for 7 years at 8.5 million with some of the other terrible contracts we already have but solely as a player I love Miller. But if the Rangers offer Chytl, Schneider and a first then I think it’s best for the organization. We don’t have to agree on how we would build a team, but at the end of the day we both want the same thing, a Stanley cup

What other terrible contracts do we have? OEL? Certainly not, we desperately need a top pairing D  also Myers is a big boy we will need if we ever hope to get anywhere if we make the playoffs unless we sign some other size OR stay the same old course of a soft highly skilled regular season team that get beat on and ousted by bigger skilled teams that know all they have to do is get rough and we sink... For the 42nd year straight, kind of getting a tad old but the story remains the same. We need a team balanced with scoring, toughness and team D, we lack in the latter that has to be dealt with, the best team at it always wins the cup and if we had depth and not a non existent farm the times we had teams close, we'd have a cup by now and wanting more. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I sort of agree but the first round losers, unless they don't have the means to upgrade and there's no other option than to deep 6 their coach, not sure it would happen but I think BB takes our situation as a challenge and probably wondering about what he will have to work with next season as I'm sure he was promised upgrades of our own by JR & AL, although i wished he have said we need to toughen up too or upgrades will keep keep us at first round exits too and no coach can solve that problem, only management. 

If toughness comes mixed with the "speed and skill" he mentioned, then we're be ok, if not we're F'd as usual..  back to the fun reg season soft team b.s.  

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, -DLC- said:

The other thing is....you don't blast out of the gates "good to go". 

Some don't really factor in that over time teams come together, it isn't add water and stir.

It's like those suggesting a "rebuild" now??!! If you're impatient about making the playoffs be prepared to add another handful of years on if you rebuild. 

Be careful what you wish for.

I mean, it was pretty clear 8 years ago, we needed to rebuild the right way. We didn't. It's pretty obvious to me, painfully obvious to me, that Benning took shortcuts, and didn't have a clear plan of attack. He drafted decently, but every GM has their slew of picks every single year. He did a decent job in the area of amateur drafting. His pro scouting was terrible. Who signs bottom six players to 3-4M dollar deals? And he didn't even just sign one of them, he signed a few of them. that crippled the Canucks and their cap situation. We are still paying for some of his dumb decisions today, even after he's been fired. Do we reap the good decisions? Of course. But he's made more bad ones than he did good. Which is why we are in the situation we're in - a middling team. Neither great, or contending, nor are we bottom worst. MIddle of the damn pack. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, grandmaster said:

The trajectory of this team is upwards, if we keep the main pieces intact.

Reasons why:

- the team has proven coaching was their biggest problem at the start of the season. The record speaks for itself once BB arrived. We just barely missed the playoff mark!

- QH is a top 10 NHL defender who has made great strides in his defensive side of the game. He is getting better and the sky is the limit for this guy. I see him getting a Norris trophy in the near future.

- Miller effect. One of the greatest leaders this team has seen. Plays well in all situations and puts his heart and soul out there. He will continue to be a top 10 NHL scoring leader & gets better every season he plays.

- Demko is a top 5 NHL goalie and will have a good back up next season. He won’t be so overplayed, making his game stronger all season.

The above 3 is what you need to win a Cup. The complimentary pieces in Bo, Brock and Petey are also nothing to sneeze at.

They seem so tight and truly care for each other (look at Brock’s press conference).

Our core is getting better and I have trust that with BB, we can not only make the playoffs next season, we can contend.

New management and their remarks so far scare me. I fear we will be taking a  step backwards when the team is destined to go further forward. It so obvious they are itching to make changes so they have their stamp on things. Let’s hope they are not bad decisions…..

Decent points for sure and I'm still pissed at Green for not doing what BB did that made my blood boil especially with all the new additions and Podz first season and it was so easy I was sick to my stomach because I knew it was going to happen, trying to run complicated system s under those circumstances was ludicrous, and it cost the playoffs by not keeping it simple and simply coach to strengths and weakness's  instead of making systems so on the complicated that some players were so worried they would hesitate and not make the simple quick first pass that led to turnovers and goals galore that would have been worse had it not been for insanely good goal tending but any coach who is good at getting players to keep it fast and simple would do well here, 2012 was a perfect example of that, a tougher team with a fast forecheck almost got us there but we had next to no depth so after the ship sailed, we were broken and it'll eventually happen all over again if we don't toughen up, push hard for 60 mins and make other teams make most of the D mistakes for a change, when the playoffs hit we won't get turfed out early if we have dept because as we know what teams will do to win in the post season. Soft skill is great to watch in the reg season, but in the end...... 

• Cheers 1