The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Major Changes Coming, Country Club Atmosphere ~ Shannon and Kypreos

I think the entire discussion about Bo’s character being wrong is a bit of horse turd.

He is a steady eddy, and that is precisely what you want in a Captain.  Listen to every player abojt what their sports psychologists say.  Don’t get too high or too low.

Being steady doesn’t mean you aren’t competitive .  Horvat, just like the Sedins is incredibly competitive.

We don’t need Miller to be the Captain, even earlier in the season we were discussing the pouting toxic Miller who whined and threw sticks because things weren’t going well.  There is nothing to suggest he has matured at all.  Things were just going well the last half of the season so it is easy not to be a toxic mess when that is happening.

There will always be stretches when things go bad.  You need a leader that keeps things going, not makes things worse with a bad attitude.  That is literally the same as we saw with Boudreau replacing Green.  Green was surly and sullen as things were going terribly… the players went into a spiral.  Suddenly Boudreau comes in with an upbeat attitude and things turn around.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

That's a good way to self destruct, empty out the building and alienate fans.

Imagine the thread on this board 

DEMKO TRADED. 

It would be the longest thread ever.

Look no further than this year’s playoffs to see what happens when you try to win without top notch goaltending. 

If the Laffs or Soilers had one, they’d still be playing.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

I think a good comparison for Bo is Kesler.

I love me some Bo, but I'd pick prime Kesler over Bo for #2C.

.. and given the fact Kesler could not fight,.  He sure had away of getting involved, and was more fearless for it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Bo learnt that emotionless from the Sedins. Bo does way too many fly bys as others have said, doesn't hit much at all and if a teammate gets hit when he is on the ice he usually does nothing...not the kind of captain I would want on the team, I would be pissed if I got hit and Bo did nothing as the leader of the team....AND it is not always dropping the gloves, it could be laying out the guy with a clean hit or going after one of their star players with a hit

Compared to Stamkos, for example.

TBL were on cloud 9 after #91 pounded Laffreniere.

They’ll likely feed off that emotion tonight when they finish off the Rags. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Iggy was great, too bad he played for Calgary :lol:

I think there's a few reasons for the under-appreciation thing, mostly based on style preference or hit totals that have little correlation to wins but thats just my 2 cents.

Looking at our leadership group, its Bo (C), Miller (A), OEL (A). Pretty good, but maybe the issue is we need to bring in a few more leaders, not switch sweaters between Bo and Miller. 

Exactly. 2011 for example. Everyone talks of the Big Bad Bruins. Bergeron and Kreji are on no way more physical than Bo and JT, or Bo and whoever. It's who you surround our skilled guys with. Bo is not easy to play against and either is JT. I'm fine building around either of these two. Same with EP

When EP doesn't have the puck, he is a workhorse trying to get it back 

• Vintage 1

The more I think on it, the more I think something big is brewing with Jersey. They have some pieces, we have some pieces. It may even involve QH. I know JR has said otherwise, but the Devils may just make an offer that JR can't resist. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

But what are you basing this on? 

Whats the analysis you used to determine that Bo isn't "emotional" enough or thats what this team needs? not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

Is Stamkos some kind of emotional leader? 

Maybe you haven't noticed the Rangers don't actually have a captain. 

Stamkos is abrasive, far more than Bo JM.

that vid of Bo fighting Nurse was only a fight because Nurse took exception to be being fairly pushed down on the boards.

It wasn’t Bo being abrasive, creating havoc, or a “fighter”..  it was basically Bo sticking up for himself.

Listen to this description of Stan Smyl and what he was like .. personally I remember his game like it was yesterday,  many on these boards did not watch him.

I can associate Miller to be more this type , than Horvat.

Bo needs a wake up pill,  he is bigger, he has the physical and skillful assets to be better than he is.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think it's all a deep fake. JR was asked a bunch of unrelated questions (how do you like a certain restaurant...it's a country club atmosphere / what do you typically do with ketchup before you put it on fries...shake it up / what do you think Jim Benning would have done in such n such a scenario...trade this guy or that guy). They then took all of his answers, made up new questions and then played the interview...very sneaky guys, very sneaky! :frantic:

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

The more I think on it, the more I think something big is brewing with Jersey. They have some pieces, we have some pieces. It may even involve QH. I know JR has said otherwise, but the Devils may just make an offer that JR can't resist. 

If QH is going to Devils, it's gonna be a huge blockbuster deal with Devils involving their 1st this year and next year (which may or may not be a lottery pick)

Hughes

Miller

Dickinson

2nd overall 2022 (Slafovsky or Jiricek/Nemec)

1st round pick 2023

2nd round pick 2023

Wood

Severson

Holtz

6 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

If QH is going to Devils, it's gonna be a huge blockbuster deal with Devils involving their 1st this year and next year (which may or may not be a lottery pick)

Hughes

Miller

Dickinson

2nd overall 2022 (Slafovsky or Jiricek/Nemec)

1st round pick 2023

2nd round pick 2023

Wood

Severson

Holtz

But he isn’t getting traded anyway so. 

54 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Stamkos is abrasive, far more than Bo JM.

that vid of Bo fighting Nurse was only a fight because Nurse took exception to be being fairly pushed down on the boards.

It wasn’t Bo being abrasive, creating havoc, or a “fighter”..  it was basically Bo sticking up for himself.

Listen to this description of Stan Smyl and what he was like .. personally I remember his game like it was yesterday,  many on these boards did not watch him.

I can associate Miller to be more this type , than Horvat.

Bo needs a wake up pill,  he is bigger, he has the physical and skillful assets to be better than he is.

Agreed. I love Bo, but I watched Smyl with the New West Bruins. That's the kind of leader I want. Like you said, Miller is more that type of player. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Iggy was great, too bad he played for Calgary :lol:

I think there's a few reasons for the under-appreciation thing, mostly based on style preference or hit totals that have little correlation to wins but thats just my 2 cents.

Looking at our leadership group, its Bo (C), Miller (A), OEL (A). Pretty good, but maybe the issue is we need to bring in a few more leaders, not switch sweaters between Bo and Miller. 

We need more guys like Luke Schenn and alot less flotsam like Dickinson & Poolman.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, BarnBurner said:

Agreed. I love Bo, but I watched Smyl with the New West Bruins. That's the kind of leader I want. Like you said, Miller is more that type of player. 

Smyl *NEVER* pouted or sulked like Miller had a habit of doing (granted significantly less or under Boudreau than under Green).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AC Readership said:

I love me some Bo, but I'd pick prime Kesler over Bo for #2C.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here, stylistically speaking I suppose?

Bo is as good of a 2C as you will see anywhere around the NHL and the largest significant difference between him and Kesler is that Kesler was more of a d-bag.

All in all I am just fine with Bo.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here, stylistically speaking I suppose?

Bo is as good of a 2C as you will see anywhere around the NHL and the largest significant difference between him and Kesler is that Kesler was more of a d-bag.

All in all I am just fine with Bo.

And Kes had that level of fire/physical play to go along with his offensive abilities that we just haven’t seen yet from Bo, who I absolutely love. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Smyl *NEVER* pouted or sulked like Miller had a habit of doing (granted significantly less or under Boudreau than under Green).

Doesn't matter. Different players. Miller plays to win. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Doesn't matter. Different players. Miller plays to win. 

You're the one that mentioned Smyl in the same post as Miller though hence my reaction.  Smyl gave his all whether the team was up by three goals or down by three goals.  Same 100% effort whether team was on a 5 game winning streak or 5 game losing streak.  He's a Captain.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You're the one that mentioned Smyl in the same post as Miller though hence my reaction.  Smyl gave his all whether the team was up by three goals or down by three goals.  Same 100% effort whether team was on a 5 game winning streak or 5 game losing streak.  He's a Captain.  

He absolutely is a captain. 

20 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Funny that these insider’s didn’t report on the Country club atmosphere in time to get Greener canned a lot earlier than he was last season. 

Yeah and now Coach B is having success then they crawl out?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

one fight does not mean he's abrasive. and suggesting its just about fights is reductive nonsense but let's stay in that train of thought.

he's had 4 fights total in his NHL career - but again that's not what this is about 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/18089

go look at his hit totals and some of the 5'8" players who have more hits. Does that scream engagement?

Do you know Horvat was 208th in hits in the NHL last season? a 6'1 220 lb captain was 208th, with a total of 96 hits. Barely over 1 per game. Is that suggesting he's all in?

Do you know who was ahead of him? here's some names

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics

Kailer Yamomoto 

Alex Debrincat

Filip Forsberg

Alex Lafrenierre (a rookie)

Tomas Hertl

Sorry but his lack of physical engagement is obvious.

Ya da ya da- Surfers post was not a strawman. EOS.