The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former B.C. child star had plans to kill Justin Trudeau after killing his mother: documents

CBH1926

WARNING: Some readers may find details in this story disturbing. Discretion is advised.

70c8fc80

A former B.C. child star had plans to drive to Ottawa and kill Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after he killed his mother in April 2020.

Details were revealed in court Monday during the first day of the sentencing hearing for 24-year-old former actor Ryan Grantham.

In March, Grantham pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the killing of his mother.

70c8fc80Barbara Waite was found dead in her Squamish home on April 1, 2020.

Police had attended the home on Government Road to perform a welfare check.

In court Monday, the Crown read out the agreed statement of facts that said Grantham shot his mother in the back of her head while she was playing the piano. next day he then loaded his car with guns, ammunition, Molotov cocktails, camping supplies and a map to Rideau Cottage in Ottawa, where Trudeau lives.

The documents said Grantham talked about killing Trudeau to police when he was arrested and he wrote about it in his journal.

In the days leading up to his mother’s death, Grantham recorded himself on camera appearing to walk through the killing and in another one he described what happened. The video was shown in court.

Click to play video: 'Riverdale actor pleads guilty to murdering mother' to murdering mother

Riverdale actor pleads guilty to murdering mother – Mar 10, 2022

The court heard Grantham started driving east but only made it to Hope.

He then turned around and considered killing people randomly on the Lions Gate Bridge or at Simon Fraser University.

Grantham then drove into Vancouver but turned himself in to police.

Grantham most recently appeared in the B.C.-shot CW television show Riverdale, and has a long list of credits including The Imaginarium of Doctor ParnasusSupernatural and iZombie.

Second-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for at least 10 years.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Good question.

I dont know enough but my guess would be they might have better chance for the charges to stick if it's 2nd degree?

maybe because he turned himself in?

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

maybe because he turned himself in?

Well, I was just thinking about not being able to be charged for the same crime twice. Think it is called double jeopardy.

So if there are any holes in making 1st degree charges stick they might go after the lesser 2nd degree. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Well, I was just thinking about not being able to be charged for the same crime twice. Think it is called double jeopardy.

So if there are any holes in making 1st degree charges stick they might go after the lesser 2nd degree. 

The little prick shot his mother in the head while she was playing the piano.  He should friggin’ fry.  Hang his ass.  The f not, then HE DIES IN PRISON.  Our consequences for these horrible crimes are way too lenient.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

Just now, Alflives said:

The little prick shot his mother in the head while she was playing the piano.  He should friggin’ fry.  Hang his ass.  The f not, then HE DIES IN PRISON.  Our consequences for these horrible crimes are way too lenient.  

Not arguing any of that.

Though I am against the death penalty. Would rather have him rot and feel the pain of a worthless existence in jail for the rest of his life. Being killed and put out of his misery is too nice for him. 

I am suggesting why they might not be throwing the book at him.

If they 'go for it' and fail he could walk.

Perhaps they are making sure that he get life in prison plus extra charges....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/what-s-the-difference-between-1st-degree-murder-2nd-degree-murder-and-manslaughter-1.5068520

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not arguing any of that.

Though I am against the death penalty. Would rather have him rot and feel the pain of a worthless existence in jail for the rest of his life. Being killed and put out of his misery is too nice for him. 

I am suggesting why they might not be throwing the book at him.

If they 'go for it' and fail he could walk.

Perhaps they are making sure that he get life in prison plus extra charges....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/what-s-the-difference-between-1st-degree-murder-2nd-degree-murder-and-manslaughter-1.5068520

well that explains it quite well

maybe I have been watching too much TV

from that definition it sound like 2nd degree

• Cheers 1

Kills his own mother so she doesn’t see the rampage he was set on committing. Makes videos of what he plans to do. Then turns himself in. 

What a waste of life. This is the type of guy that makes me not want kids at all.

How could you even think about killing your own loving mother?

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, lmm said:

how is it second degree, when he make a preparatory video?

When I was in jury duty, the defendant murdered his Mom as well. The crown went with 2nd degree murder. It's easier to prove and it's pretty much a slam dunk.

I thought the Crown had a good case for 1st degree as well. The defence lawyer was an idiot. They didn't even deny his client murdered his Mom. They should have just had a trial by judge. It would have saved a lot of time.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Basically if you go into jury selection. And you state that, you will be rejected. I guess that's one way of getting out of it.

"Hanging's too good for him, burnin's too good for him! He should be chopped up into little bitty pieces and buried alive!!!!!"

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Basically if you go into jury selection. And you state that, you will be rejected. I guess that's one way of getting out of it.

"Hanging's too good for him, burnin's too good for him! He should be chopped up into little bitty pieces and buried alive!!!!!"

Hanged, drawn, and quartered when he wakes up from the hanging to see his guts all over just before the horses rip him apart. 

Or, of course, we put him into prison with really nasty people with a sign that says, “I murdered my mother”.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hanged, drawn, and quartered when he wakes up from the hanging to see his guts all over just before the horses rip him apart. 

Or, of course, we put him into prison with really nasty people with a sign that says, “I murdered my mother”.  

40 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Kills his own mother so she doesn’t see the rampage he was set on committing. Makes videos of what he plans to do. Then turns himself in. 

What a waste of life. This is the type of guy that makes me not want kids at all.

How could you even think about killing your own loving mother?

There are all sorts of good reasons not to have kids, like the planet is over-crowded or you don't want to pass on some congenital defect.

There are also lots of good reasons to have kids

One weirdo should not sway your choice one way or another

I have 2 kids and they are both awesome

and I have 1 grandchild

I can tell you that being a parent is just paying your dues for the awesomeness of becoming a grand parent

what makes you so sure this kid had a "Loving Mother"?

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1