The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/practice--andrei-kuzmenko/t-277437438/c-15895281

Now if anyone doesn't love this young man after watching this, they should get their head examined...

What a bundle of joy. No wonder Petey loves to play with him....:wub:

Kuzmenko is pure joy. Likeability factor off the charts. My cheeks practically hurt from the goofy grin I get whenever I watch him. I was thinking today about how far back in my Canucks fandom I’d have to go to find another player who’s had a similar effect. And honestly, it’s the late Gino Odjick, back in the heyday of the 90’s. Different players, to be sure (and Kuzmenko obviously has nothing on Gino, in terms of legacy). But I haven’t caught the same levels of joy off an individual Canucks player since Gino. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Kuzmenko is pure joy. Likeability factor off the charts. My cheeks practically hurt from the goofy grin I get whenever I watch him. I was thinking today about how far back in my Canucks fandom I’d have to go to find another player who’s had a similar effect. And honestly, it’s the late Gino Odjick, back in the heyday of the 90’s. Different players, to be sure (and Kuzmenko obviously has nothing on Gino, in terms of legacy). But I haven’t caught the same levels of joy off an individual Canucks player since Gino. 

Cheers Sid. 
Feel exactly the same...

It fabulous to see and if you don't excited as fan seeing this, nothing will...

It must also be so much fun to play with him and even share locker room with....

You need players like that... without doubt it lifts the team spirit and the fans absolutely love it....

• Like 3

I haven't watched TSN or SN much and not sure if Hockey Central has talked about him, but why isn't the league making more noise about Kuzmenko? The guy is in his first season and he's on pace for 40 goals. If Kuzmenko was a Leaf they probably wouldn't stop talking about him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Sid. 
Feel exactly the same...

It fabulous to see and if you don't excited as fan seeing this, nothing will...

It must also be so much fun to play with him and even share locker room with....

You need players like that... without doubt it lifts the team spirit and the fans absolutely love it....

Yup. He’s such a good player on the ice, but I could actually see him being even more valuable off the ice. 

As my kids would say, “the vibes are immaculate.” 

You just get a contact high of pure joy from Kuzmenko. 

I only hope that he’s actually just as good person as he seems. My instincts say yes. He strikes me as such a pure soul and one of the nicest people you could have the pleasure of knowing.

• Like 2

according to NHL rules for winning the Calder cup you have to be no older that 26 by September 15 that means if you turn 27 on September 16 your eligible for it    on Kuzmenkos rooky year Kuzmenko turned 27 on feb 4 that's 5 months the age dead lie so why cant he win the Calder cup

18 minutes ago, keehan3 said:

according to NHL rules for winning the Calder cup you have to be no older that 26 by September 15 that means if you turn 27 on September 16 your eligible for it    on Kuzmenkos rooky year Kuzmenko turned 27 on feb 4 that's 5 months the age dead lie so why cant he win the Calder cup

Because he doesn't play in the American Hockey League.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, keehan3 said:

The rule is that you cannot be older than 26--exactly, to the day. Because Kuzmenko was already about 26.6 years old at the start of the season, he's older than the minimum of 26.0 years old at the start of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just have to say I hope this guy's on the team for a long time. He's the start of an off-ice entertaining dynamic we haven't really seen on this team since Kesler and Bieksa or Luongo and Schneider.

Kuz may very well become my favourite Canuck if he isn't already. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

Kuzmenko will hit 40 goals this year.  Book it.

The only players in Vancouver Canucks history to score at least 40 goals in one NHL season:

Pavel Bure

Alexandr Mogilny

Markus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Tony Tanti

Darcy Rota

Ryan Kesler

Daniel Sedin

Ron Sedlbauer

I think he has a chance to hit 50 goals next year.  If he does, he will join some elite company.  The only players in Vancouver Canucks history to score 50 goals in one NHL season:

Pavel Bure

Alexander Mogilny

Of course, if he could ever hit 60 goals, then we know that there was only player to ever do that.  61 goals and he would have the all-time Canucks record.

If Petey can get 113 points in one season and Kuzmenko 61 goals, plus Hughes already has the Dman records, then just wow...

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzmenko will hit 40 goals this year.  Book it.

The only players in Vancouver Canucks history to score at least 40 goals in one NHL season:

Pavel Bure

Alexandr Mogilny

Markus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Tony Tanti

Darcy Rota

Ryan Kesler

Daniel Sedin

Ron Sedlbauer

I think he has a chance to hit 50 goals next year.  If he does, he will join some elite company.  The only players in Vancouver Canucks history to score 50 goals in one NHL season:

Pavel Bure

Alexander Mogilny

Of course, if he could ever hit 60 goals, then we know that there was only player to ever do that.  61 goals and he would have the all-time Canucks record.

If Petey can get 113 points in one season and Kuzmenko 61 goals, plus Hughes already has the Dman records, then just wow...

Fun part is, a lot of folks don't seem to realise, what a rabbit PA pulled out of the hat by getting Kuz to sign. 

And they got him for another 2 years at a very affordable price. 

Go for it....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Fun part is, a lot of folks don't seem to realise, what a rabbit PA pulled out of the hat by getting Kuz to sign. 

And they got him for another 2 years at a very affordable price. 

Go for it....

How many times in NHL history has a team signed a 27-year-old 40 goal scorer for free in the summer?

If he was a UFA this summer, he is easily getting an 8x7 contract.  Allvin worked some magic to sign him at the most opportune time.  If he had waited another two weeks, the price would have been $2 million more...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How many times in NHL history has a team signed a 27-year-old 40 goal scorer for free in the summer?

If he was a UFA this summer, he is easily getting an 8x7 contract.  Allvin worked some magic to sign him at the most opportune time.  If he had waited another two weeks, the price would have been $2 million more...

Yes spot on...

Its a master stroke.
And the more I think about it, the more I warm to the idea of a buy out of OEL,

Get rid of Myers (use a sweetner if needed), and then make a splash for another 2 Defensive Dmen and see , how far we can go the next two years...

After that we may not be able to afford QH, Petey, Kuz, Hronek, Miller, Demko etc as a unit anyway.....

It does make sense, and it is the quick turn around they've been preaching. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yes spot on...

Its a master stroke.
And the more I think about it, the more I warm to the idea of a buy out of OEL,

Get rid of Myers (use a sweetner if needed), and then make a splash for another 2 Defensive Dmen and see , how far we can go the next two years...

After that we may not be able to afford QH, Petey, Kuz, Hronek, Miller, Demko etc as a unit anyway.....

It does make sense, and it is the quick turn around they've been preaching. 

As always Spook, me and you are on the same page.

The next two years are the most critical time for this club moving forward.  Demko's contract is up in 3 years.  Hughes is up in 4 years.  Kuzmenko is up in 2 years.  Petey and Hronek need to sign massive extensions.  JR/PA are ALL in.  I mean ALL in.  They know the window is now.  We have the core.  Petey, Hughes, Demko, Kuzmenko, Hronek, Miller.  That is the core.  6 guys.  The rest will be complimentary pieces.  And Miller is 30 years old.  So, his prime is now, not 4-5 years from now.

Having OEL on your 3rd pairing at $7.26 million isn't going to help this team.  It's fantasy to believe that OEL is going to play at a $7.26 million level next season.  He's not.  And he's not even a good pairing matchup for Hronek anyways.  We need a Graves/Gavrikov type that can clear the front of the net, kill penalties and be that supportive defensive Dman.

Our window is now.  People are worried about the extra 4 years on the buyout.  The reality is JR/PA won't be around in 4 years if we are not winning.  So, it's a moot point for them.  The new GM will have to figure it out.  Just like JR has to figure out the current mess left by Benning.

You buy out OEL and you trade Myers after his bonus is paid to Anaheim.  Attach a sweetener if you have to.  With that $13 million in new cap space for next season, we can revamp the entire defence in one summer.  Gavrikov, Mayfield, Schenn, Livingstone, maybe Tryamkin or you trade for Kevin Bahl.  All of a sudden, we not only have an NHL defence, but we also have a defence that can help us win in the playoffs...

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As always Spook, me and you are on the same page.

The next two years are the most critical time for this club moving forward.  Demko's contract is up in 3 years.  Hughes is up in 4 years.  Kuzmenko is up in 2 years.  Petey and Hronek need to sign massive extensions.  JR/PA are ALL in.  I mean ALL in.  They know the window is now.  We have the core.  Petey, Hughes, Demko, Kuzmenko, Hronek, Miller.  That is the core.  6 guys.  The rest will be complimentary pieces.  And Miller is 30 years old.  So, his prime is now, not 4-5 years from now.

Having OEL on your 3rd pairing at $7.26 million isn't going to help this team.  It's fantasy to believe that OEL is going to play at a $7.26 million level next season.  He's not.  And he's not even a good pairing matchup for Hronek anyways.  We need a Graves/Gavrikov type that can clear the front of the net, kill penalties and be that supportive defensive Dman.

Our window is now.  People are worried about the extra 4 years on the buyout.  The reality is JR/PA won't be around in 4 years if we are not winning.  So, it's a moot point for them.  The new GM will have to figure it out.  Just like JR has to figure out the current mess left by Benning.

You buy out OEL and you trade Myers after his bonus is paid to Anaheim.  Attach a sweetener if you have to.  With that $13 million in new cap space for next season, we can revamp the entire defence in one summer.  Gavrikov, Mayfield, Schenn, Livingstone, maybe Tryamkin or you trade for Kevin Bahl.  All of a sudden, we not only have an NHL defence, but we also have a defence that can help us win in the playoffs...

This is how I see it as well...

They may not even be in a panic to get rid of BB/Garland/Beau etc to balance the books...

Aquilini want us to be competetive not in 3-4 years, he wants us to push now. 

Another thing is, JR and PA will also know, how tough it is to build a winning team, when your superstars are making top dollars on their final contracts (Crosby/Makin/Letang).

At the moments all our stars are on manageble contracts. In 3 years a few of them will be gone, as we will be struggling to pay retirement contracts to 6-7 star players...

As for cap going up to pay for them etc.... don't count your chickens... if anything, the last 4-5 years at least should have shown us that. 

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1