The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

Just now, JM_ said:

not sure thats going to be possible for him, he's not a fatty. 

He’s a big boy, but he could do with leaning out.  I remember one of those Canuck videos posted here where Brock, on day one of camp, saw Bo and talked about how his weight was up to 206, like that was a good thing and he was proud of it.  Brock is better at 195 than at 210.  He got bounced into that door and has been (I think) trying to be heavier since.  

“Brock.  You need to weight under 200.”

On 7/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Details:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has agreed to terms with right wing Brock Boeser on a 3-year contract worth 6.65 million per season.

"We're very happy to have worked out a new deal for Brock" said Allvin. "He is a very talented player and has been an effective goal scorer throughout his entire career. We look forward to seeing his game progress in the years to come. Now that his contract is in place for three seasons, Brock can shift his entire focus to his on-ice performance." 

Boeser, 25, recorded 46 points (23-23-46) in 71 games last season, eclipsing the 20-goal mark for the fourth time in five seasons. He also tied the team lead with six game-winning goals in 2021.22 and ranked second among Canucks skaters with 11 power play goals, establishing new career-highs in both categories. 

In 324 regular season games over six career seasons with Vancouver, the 6'1", 208-pound forward has collected 256 points (121-135-256) and 88 penalty minutes. Boeser also appeared in 17 career playoff games for the Canucks in 2019.20, ranking fifth in team-scoring with 11 points (4-7-11). 

Boeser has led or co-led the Canucks in scoring twice in his career to earn the Cyrus H. McLean Trophy (2017.18 & 2020.21) and was also named the recipient of the Cyclone Taylor Trophy (most valuable player) and Pavel Bure Award (most exciting player) in his rookie season in 2017.18. That same season, he was named a finalist for the Calder Memorial Trophy as the League's best rookie and became the first rookie since Mario Lemieux in 1984.85 to be named MVP of the NHL All-Star Game. 

A native of Burnsville, Minnesota, Boeser was originally selected by Vancouver in the first round, 23rd overall in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-agree-to-terms-with-brock-boeser/c-334794922

This is a good contract for all concerned and I expect Brock to have a strong season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a big boy, but he could do with leaning out.  I remember one of those Canuck videos posted here where Brock, on day one of camp, saw Bo and talked about how his weight was up to 206, like that was a good thing and he was proud of it.  Brock is better at 195 than at 210.  He got bounced into that door and has been (I think) trying to be heavier since.  

yeah I think that got into his head, it was pretty bad. 

He'll figure it out, and he'll get the right advice from management now too. Those comments by Shaw about Green, holy crap we're lucky this entire team didn't want to leave. 

21 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think it's premature to be slotting Kuzmenko into the top 6 before he's played his first NHL game.  Maybe he becomes top 6 but don't we (and Boudreau) know that he has to earn a top 6 role?

If Miller is traded and a winger doesn’t come back then who do you play in the top 6?  

Pearson and Höglander are not top 6 material. 

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not that I disagree with the overall premise, I agree he could lean down 10'ish pounds and likely be better for it. But I do wonder if he heavily focused on strengthening everything around his back to help protect/compensate for that injury?

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Miller is traded and a winger doesn’t come back then who do you play in the top 6?  

Good question.  

I'm not going to assume he's one of the 2 best left wingers on the present roster.  Kuzmenko will have to out compete all of the above unless they bring somebody else in.  I like Pearson because he can play up so he's a good piece to have in the short to medium term (he'll be 30 before next season starts). Hogs just finished his sophomore year so I hope that he figures it out.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think the city of Vancouver wants to give him a collective hug and get behind him. 

I was one of his harshest critics last season but that's in the past now. 

Let's go Brock! 

On 7/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, Xanlet said:

He has had injuries in basically every single season. When you are allocating cap space, you need to take into account a player's total contribution to your team. If he misses significant games, your team still plays and thus his absence hurts the team's chance of making the playoffs. His salary hit should reflect his total production, regardless of games missed, and I do acknowledge the team gets the cap space back while he is injured, but it's not exactly easy to just slot another 30 goal scorer in while Boeser is on the shelf. Again, pay players based on their production, not what "could have been" their production or "what might be" their production. What IS their production. Otherwise you will constantly be overpaying and underperforming.

You do not understand how contracts are work out do you? 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are we expecting the team to be "finished" this summer?

I fully expect that we'll have some "tweeners", maybe some "money-puck" guys etc playing up the lineup in the top 9, as we continue to build a better team the next couple seasons. Those guys will eventually get pushed down/off the lineup.

Ideally we get the rest of the team sorted the next couple years and then can look to add that "cherry on top" skilled winger (if we cant find/develop one internally) then.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Brock was at his heaviest in the 20/21 season where he coincidentally was our best player. I think he's a better player when he packs on the muscle myself. It works with his style of play better. He's never going to be a burner, but he is good on the boards and at winning puck battles.

43 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah I think that got into his head, it was pretty bad. 

He'll figure it out, and he'll get the right advice from management now too. Those comments by Shaw about Green, holy crap we're lucky this entire team didn't want to leave. 

What comments by shaw about green ?

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not that I disagree with the overall premise, I agree he could lean down 10'ish pounds and likely be better for it. But I do wonder if he heavily focused on strengthening everything around his back to help protect/compensate for that injury?

I have had a very similar injury as Brock, and have also been on the side of helping people rehab that type of injury with my job. I can almost guarantee you that he did.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I have had a very similar injury as Brock, and have also been on the side of helping people rehab that type of injury with my job. I can almost guarantee you that he did.

That could explain why he looked like he'd been hanging out at Venice beach all summer :lol:

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Tanev had a great year in Calgary. However, he couldn’t stay healthy as a Canucks. 

To me it was Toffoli. Should’ve kept Toffoli.

But Tanman was injured at the most important time, in the playoffs. Just hard to escape that shadow.

• Vintage 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Boeser is like Peter's best friend too so that's great to keep him. Likely miller and Garland gone now? 

Yup most likely…unless they have some tricks up their sleeves?

Rocky And Bullwinkle Internet GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think there was a way to sign Markstrom and move him.  He wanted trade protection and would be able to command it with his upcoming contract.  It was keep Demko and lose Markstrom for nothing, or sign Markstrom and move on from Demko.

Markstrom had no reason to want to sign with the Canucks just to be traded.  He was a UFA.  Why not just sign somewhere he wants to be with trade protection.

It's called managing your assets and getting something in rewtrurn for a NHL top 10 goalie? You won't see this happen will Allvin..Never never

Look what they did with Motte? They got something..

Taffoli - same thing look what Montreal got in trade for hime?

Tanev -- Same thing..

These are all top players still in the NHL..

Not a matter of letting a player be happy and walk for nothing? This is sad but its a business...

Good teams make smart move..

Canucks have good smart hockey people running the show now... 

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

It's called managing your assets and getting something in rewtrurn for a NHL top 10 goalie? You won't see this happen will Allvin..Never never

Look what they did with Motte? They got something..

Taffoli - same thing look what Montreal got in trade for hime?

Tanev -- Same thing..

These are all top players still in the NHL..

Not a matter of letting a player be happy and walk for nothing? This is sad but its a business...

Good teams make smart move..

Canucks have good smart hockey people running the show now...

They were losing a goalie that summer in the expansion draft no matter what.  They had to pick between Demko and Markstrom.  It is technically possible they could have traded Demko from a position of massive weakness being under the gun and about to lose him for nothing.  But how were they supposed to get something for Markstrom unless they traded him during the season before the deadline...and pre-Vegas series it really wasn't all that clear that Demko was a reliable goalie of the future.  Once the season was over, Markstrom was a free agent and not going to sign without a NTC.

If you put Allvin in that same situation I don't know if he gets anything.  The expansion draft was a killer.  It was just bad timing.

• Vintage 3