The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

On 1/29/2023 at 7:55 PM, Alflives said:

If Brock doesn’t accept he’s playing at 15-20 pounds too heavy and work hard this (or next) summer to lean out to 190, he’s going to be playing for 2 per on his next contract. 

Ever since his career almost ended when he got hit into the open gate by Clutterbuck, I feel like Brock's lost the edge. He came bulked up, every time he goes into a battle, it's safety first to ensure he's not in a vulnerable position. The guy is built and plays to not get injured. 

It's time to move on. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:26 AM, EddieVedder said:

Nothing to do with his weight.   Hes been slow since even before getting drafted. 

Brock is not as quick at 210 as he was at 190. Yes, his straight line speed has always been slower.  But quickness is an issue with the extra weight. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brock is not as quick at 210 as he was at 190. Yes, his straight line speed has always been slower.  But quickness is an issue with the extra weight. 

Big reason why Takahashi is gone I think.

Seems like alot of our young players were focused on getting heavier at the expense of speed of agility.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like alot of our young players were focused on getting heavier at the expense of speed of agility.

I feel like the problem might be that they aren't focused enough in general.

when the twins were here setting the bar, those peak years with the keslers and the bieksas and the grouse grindses, this was the fittest team in the league. I don't feel like the standard has been anywhere near high enough for years. there's nobody on the team that strikes me as a gym rat, and not since stech has there seemingly been anyone truly willing to sell out all they've got. 

that's a big part of the culture that needs a-changin' from my perspective. 

• There it is 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:55 PM, Alflives said:

If Brock doesn’t accept he’s playing at 15-20 pounds too heavy and work hard this (or next) summer to lean out to 190, he’s going to be playing for 2 per on his next contract. 

6.5 is 3 extra steaks and 4 cases of Pilsner too much ?

Fat Cat Pat GIF

of perhaps it’s a page out of Krutovs book ;) 

Edited by SilentSam

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Minny for 5m 2 years.

They don't have that kind of cap space.   They don't even have a RW slot open in their top-9.

Minnesota has 9M in cap space with a roster of only 14 next season. 5M to Boeser brings them to 15 but leaves them only 4M to complete the rest of their roster - doesn't work cap wise + all the RFAs they are already looking to extend.   Guerin already talks of how they are going to have to clear cap this off-season but there's no evident place to remove other than Greenway (3M) and possibly Goligosky (2M but a full NMC) and they would need to replace them.

At RW they already have Matt Boldy who they call a cornerstone player and just signed to 7M x 7 years.  Foligno plays with ErikssonEk on their shutdown line - not a place for Boeser.  At RW1 they have Zuccarello who has insane chemistry with Kaprizov (Bowness even compares their chemistry to the Sedins) and who are really tight off the ice.  The Wild also don't have playmaking Cs so how is Boeser even going to produce with no one setting him up.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Ever since his career almost ended when he got hit into the open gate by Clutterbuck, I feel like Brock's lost the edge. He came bulked up, every time he goes into a battle, it's safety first to ensure he's not in a vulnerable position. The guy is built and plays to not get injured. 

It's time to move on. 

I like the way you put it. 

"He plays to not get injured" That about sums up the kind of player we just inked to 6.65m

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

Holding back money on Boeser makes a lot of sense if it gets you some very good value coming back. Personally I disagree with most here on his poor play as he’s been a consistent 50-60 point player if he played full seasons. His injuries have held him back from playing, not from being productive offensively. Plus he’s only 25 so he’s just getting into his prime years.

you need to get a good return off this guy. If holding back 1-2M gets that done then it’s a clear choice.

11 hours ago, mll said:

They don't have that kind of cap space.   They don't even have a RW slot open in their top-9.

Minnesota has 9M in cap space with a roster of only 14 next season. 5M to Boeser brings them to 15 but leaves them only 4M to complete the rest of their roster - doesn't work cap wise + all the RFAs they are already looking to extend.   Guerin already talks of how they are going to have to clear cap this off-season but there's no evident place to remove other than Greenway (3M) and possibly Goligosky (2M but a full NMC) and they would need to replace them.

At RW they already have Matt Boldy who they call a cornerstone player and just signed to 7M x 7 years.  Foligno plays with ErikssonEk on their shutdown line - not a place for Boeser.  At RW1 they have Zuccarello who has insane chemistry with Kaprizov (Bowness even compares their chemistry to the Sedins) and who are really tight off the ice.  The Wild also don't have playmaking Cs so how is Boeser even going to produce with no one setting him up.

Whose to say they don’t displace or move others off their roster to create room for Boeser ?

anything can happen,   It dosent have to be “right now”..  it could even be over the Summer.

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That doesn't explain why Horvat became a better skater. At some point, it's the player's responsibility. It's their careers and their money. Takahashi couldn't have been the reason.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That doesn't explain why Horvat became a better skater. At some point, it's the player's responsibility. It's their careers and their money. Takahashi couldn't have been the reason.

That’s one player who developed under his watch.

The rest regressed after they came into the NHL.

I would say he’s part of it. He’s the one that sets goals and targets for players in the offseason. When you have guys like Boeser and Virtanen coming back from offseason training bulked up and slower I would say there’s an issue.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s one player who developed under his watch.

The rest regressed after they came into the NHL.

I would say he’s part of it. He’s the one that sets goals and targets for players in the offseason. When you have guys like Boeser and Virtanen coming back from offseason training bulked up and slower I would say there’s an issue.

Virtanen is a wild card. I'm not sure if he's a good example.

As far as Boeser and everyone else, only Boeser has experienced a potentially career ending injury, so I feel his decline is unfairly attributed to Takahashi. He's a fitness conditioning trainer (or was for the Canucks). The players have to be held responsible. Takahashi could come up with the best diet plans (not saying he did or didn't), but if the players don't take their fitness to the next level, then there's nothing he could do about it. Having coaching staff like Green probably didn't help.

Takahashi has now been blamed from everything from dieting to injury issues. It's almost like the players are never responsible for themselves, despite making a much bigger paycheque.

Edited by Dazzle

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Virtanen is a wild card. I'm not sure if he's a good example.

As far as Boeser and everyone else, only Boeser has experienced a potentially career ending injury, so I feel his decline is unfairly attributed to Takahashi. He's a fitness conditioning trainer (or was for the Canucks). The players have to be held responsible. Takahashi could come up with the best diet plans (not saying he did or didn't), but if the players don't take their fitness to the next level, then there's nothing he could do about it. Having coaching staff like Green probably didn't help.

Takahashi has now been blamed from everything from dieting to injury issues. It's almost like the players are never responsible for themselves, despite making a much bigger paycheque.

When you force 21/22 year old players into the lineup they absolutely need guidance from trainers and coaches.

The players are ultimately responsible but the point is that their goals were clearly misguided. These players needed to get stronger and faster not just heavier.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When you force 21/22 year old players into the lineup they absolutely need guidance from trainers and coaches.

The players are ultimately responsible but the point is that their goals were clearly misguided. These players needed to get stronger and faster not just heavier.

I'm pretty sure coaches have exit interviews on expectations. Putting this solely on training staff is kind of unfair.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:50 PM, Alflives said:

Not too sure where, but he’d be a cap allocation around 4.5 to 5 per. If he was signed last summer as a UFA. 

I think in Van at $2M for 2 years or even 1 year would have been good