The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] A 3-Way Blockbuster

Winnipeg comes away looking like bandits here, Dubois already said he wants to test free agency in a season's time; if this move happens due to them not being able to retain him, I doubt he gets so much (certainly won't get that much just for his RFA rights, maybe him for Kakko's rights plus either Garland [who's young, top-6 and signed with term] or the pick).  Even if they're flipping our assets to Winnipeg, a PLD who's threatening to leave can't command that much IMO. 

I want to dislike this, but I can't find a good reason to.

WPG gets a couple of good offensive players and a pick

VAN gets a good RD partner for Hughes for the next 10+ years

NYR get Dubois for next year's playoff run.  Zibanejad-Dubois down the middle

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I want to dislike this, but I can't find a good reason to.

WPG gets a couple of good offensive players and a pick

VAN gets a good RD partner for Hughes for the next 10+ years

NYR get Dubois for next year's playoff run.  Zibanejad-Dubois down the middle

I was just thinking about the same.  The Jets struggle to keep their guys (without overpaying) so getting Garland on his contract would mean more to them in value than many other teams.  PLD has two years for the Rangers.  And we get Schneider.  Win/win/win

Did you realize that all of the rhd that we have been hoping for in a Miller/Garland trade were second round picks?  No way in hell would I include a second round pick in ANY trade.  That’s why our prospect pool sucks and we are left wishing that we had drafted guys like Iorio, Faber, Peeke, Grans, the Russian guy from New Jersey or Morrow.  Even Erik Cernak was a second round pick.  I like your creative trade proposal, but including a second round pick is a non starter for me.  I am hoping that we trade down at the draft and try to recoup the second round pick that we are missing.  There a lots of promising defensemen slated to go late in the first round or in the second.  It’s time to stop wishing and time to start drafting.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And how many 2nd round pick defencemen make little to no impact on the team that drafted them?

You mean like Jet Woo?  I think your proposal is one that is fair for all three teams.  It’s exactly what we should try and do. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, nameci said:

Did you realize that all of the rhd that we have been hoping for in a Miller/Garland trade were second round picks?  No way in hell would I include a second round pick in ANY trade.  That’s why our prospect pool sucks and we are left wishing that we had drafted guys like Iorio, Faber, Peeke, Grans, the Russian guy from New Jersey or Morrow.  Even Erik Cernak was a second round pick.  I like your creative trade proposal, but including a second round pick is a non starter for me.  I am hoping that we trade down at the draft and try to recoup the second round pick that we are missing.  There a lots of promising defensemen slated to go late in the first round or in the second.  It’s time to stop wishing and time to start drafting.

I agree about losing a 2nd round pick.  My problem with pics and prospects (RDs) is that they will take years to play

on the 1st pairing (if ever).  Even Schneider is a long ways  from being Hughes' partner.

I would love it if the Canucks could get this done...Garland for Matt Roy straight up.  That way, Quinn gets a

partner right away, which affords the management time to acquire and develop a young RD (or 2) that could

replace Roy in a few years. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i disagree.

Yup.  Totally agree Joe.  When we can get a top four young D, and the cost is only Garland + a 2nd, that’s an easy yes.  That second is the player we hope will turn into Schneider.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, nameci said:

You know, who is a second round pick? Woo....

Not all trees grows into heaven. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1