The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

It a little unfair to compare. JV we made a mess of his development by putting him on the team right away. He is the type of player that probably should have spent a year in JR, rounded out his game, fopcised on his diet and daily habits. Then spent a year at least in the AHL.

JL health was completely compromised and his training and preparation for the season. For a D + 1 that summer and the next 2-5 will define their careers usually.

Sedins themselves couldn't stress how important their off seasons were for the development and improvement over their early years.

Mono Can have quite the impact on you. some people it can affect for 6 Months. Its pretty hard to push your CNS and prepare for a season let alone jump into games behind a step.

It just sucks. Then throw in a Concussion. The kids CNS took a thrashing this year.

I dont think its doom and gloom for him. Hes a quality kid, with transferable attributes and a hell of a shot. ITs just unfortunate that his year hasn't gone well. But next year he will rebound and get back on the path. Not everyones journey is linear.

Also Virtanen seemed like he was a lazy, entitled brat who loved hot dogs more than he wanted to be an impact NHL Forward.

Not trying to argue your point, but Virtanen did spend his draft +1 back in junior with the Hitmen. Draft +2 was NHL and draft +3 was mainly spent in the AHL, so he did receive some development beyond being thrown straight and only into NHL action.

I know everyone keeps mentioning the mono he went through which obviously affects a person for a while, but that was quite a long time ago now. Unless he got it again or something, he was diagnosed last Feb/March if I’m not mistaken.

Let’s hope he can put together a few good performances in this WJC and transfer it back into Djugardens.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Not trying to argue your point, but Virtanen did spend his draft +1 back in junior with the Hitmen. Draft +2 was NHL and draft +3 was mainly spent in the AHL, so he did receive some development beyond being thrown straight and only into NHL action.

I know everyone keeps mentioning the mono he went through which obviously affects a person for a while, but that was quite a long time ago now. Unless he got it again or something, he was diagnosed last Feb/March if I’m not mistaken.

Let’s hope he can put together a few good performances in this WJC and transfer it back into Djugardens.

My bad on the D+1 right recalled it wrong. 

I just think Mono clearly affected his offseason training and prep for his season.

There's really no other explanation for the massive drop in his play. And then he wasn't set up for success, didn't progress physically for the year, then after struggling through he got a concussion.

Its just not ideal and understandable for a kid to not be having an amazing year. It sucks. But if he works his way through this year, has a solid off season and next year he rides the struggle bus again I will be concerned.

I hope so. He did have a solid chance and set up another. The team is talented but struggling for some reason. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/23/2022 at 8:43 PM, R3aL said:

There's really no other explanation for the massive drop in his play

There is.

But we don't use the B word until 3 years of euro development, 2 years spent between the nhl and ahl and then him being put on waivers and picked up by another team

It's the Canuck way

:bigblush:

33 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Lek doesn't look rusty or anything. He's not being deployed as one of Sweden's chief horses, but he's getting around the ice well, moving the puck well down low, and has had one very good scoring chance (as seen above). Clearly a talented player with good hockey sense.

He doesn't seem to be a key cog at all. Barely noticed him.

Oh, spoke to soon. Boom! Nice shot off the post and in. :towel::canucks:

Edited by Gawdzukes