The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

Just now, vancan2233 said:

I remember (not comparing)  when Yzerman first hit the NHL all offense, was coached into one of the best two way forward in NHL history. 

I remember when (Not Comparing) Nikolai Goldobin showed all kinds of offensive promise but evacuated the d zone like it was on fire and got stapled to the bench off to the KHL he went. 

My comments are from a place of wanting to see Lekkerimaki succeed not fail!

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Going off hardly. I praised him for his strengths and highlighted areas of concern. Sorry I didn't blow smoke up his arse. 

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Going off hardly. I praised him for his strengths and highlighted areas of concern. Sorry I didn't blow smoke up his arse. 

What are you going on about, your concern are not knew his scouting report already stated what he needed to work on. I admitted I did not read your another post, and you did make a judgement of his play base on one clip you watched.  

Edited by vancan2233

4 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

What you going on about, your concern are not knew his scouting report already stated what he needed to work on. I admitted I did not read your another post, and you did make a judgement of his play base on one clip you watched.  

I'm sorry I didn't realize we weren't supposed to offer any constructive critique of his play in this thread. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I'm sorry I didn't realize we weren't supposed to offer any constructive critique of his play in this thread. 

Not at all, you just made it seem you are the only one to pick up on his weakness when the scouting report already reported his needs of improvement. It should have been no surprise to you to see some of his weaknesses.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Not at all, you just made it seem you are the only one to pick up on his weakness when the scouting report already reported his needs of improvement. It should have been no surprise to you to see some of his weaknesses.  

May as well close the thread after the scouting report was posted. Nothing left to discuss.

Paragraphs between my lines you seem to read. 

After the initial disappointment  of not stealing  Ivan Miro, and watching a ton of tape on the kid. I'm not so disappointed.  His skating really isn't that bad, with growth and strength his stride will get stronger.  His shot is upper nhl caliber already. Gotta thi k this makes  Brock expendable  in a couple years. Looking forward to his development camp and how the new management  brings him along( me thinks they'll be really hands on, with diet, work outs etc) 

2 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

After the initial disappointment  of not stealing  Ivan Miro, and watching a ton of tape on the kid. I'm not so disappointed.  His skating really isn't that bad, with growth and strength his stride will get stronger.  His shot is upper nhl caliber already. Gotta thi k this makes  Brock expendable  in a couple years. Looking forward to his development camp and how the new management  brings him along( me thinks they'll be really hands on, with diet, work outs etc) 

I really hope so! Contrary to @HighOnHockey I would like to get him over here ASAP be it for the Giants or next year in Abby getting him close to the team where we can influence his development I think would be huge. 

That being said I know nothing of his personal life or his mental readiness to make such a huge change in his life.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I really hope so! Contrary to @HighOnHockey I would like to get him over here ASAP be it for the Giants or next year in Abby getting him close to the team where we can influence his development I think would be huge. 

That being said I know nothing of his personal life or his mental readiness to make such a huge change in his life.  

Yeah I would like that as well   but I understand the want to stay with his team and try to bring them back to top league like Elias did. I think he has a huge year amd pots 20-25 goals. I hope management has a program for him and Mikael  Samuelson  works with him weekly if not daily.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

Yeah I would like that as well   but I understand the want to stay with his team and try to bring them back to top league like Elias did. I think he has a huge year amd pots 20-25 goals. I hope management has a program for him and Mikael  Samuelson  works with him weekly if not daily.

I think you're referring to Dahlin. Pete went to Vaxjo he didn't stay with Timra.  

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

I've read the comparison to naslund and I can see a bit of him, I also like Filip  forsberg as a comparable.

Actually I really like the Naslund comparable. Just need to get him a Bertuzzi. Hopefully we don't give ourselves the reverse Stojanov  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Comparing Jonathan Lekkerimaki (Left) and Lucas Raymond's (Right) draft year and U18's.  They're very close.

Screenshot (19).png

That's a terrific recent comparable. And Raymond did pretty well in his rookie year scoring 57 points. I think Leki might need an extra year of development, though. However, Petey only needed one year when we all thought he'd need a few, so never say never...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

For his further development it is important that he plays in a competitive environment and faces quality D-Men. Just look at players like Seider and Kasper. Both enjoyed a long playoff run with Rögle BK and facing quality opposition on the international level whilst playing against the best european teams in the Champions hockey league. Seider had his breakthough in Sweden playing for Rögle BK. That's exactly the environment Lekkerimäki needs for his further development.

It's manageable for players to get out of their contracts with European teams. There have been numerous examples for players that agreed with management to terminate the contract in order to pursue other career avenues. I really think Djurgardens management would be open for Lekkerimäki's request to play for a team in the SHL because it's important for his development. Göteborg, Frölunda or Rögle are also lovely places, it does not need to be Stockholm.

In my opinion Lekkerimäki could make the Canucks team after another season playing in the SHL with a top - team. As a young prospect you need to face quality opposition to improve your game. Really hope that Lekkerimäki and his camp are going to make this happen in the offseason.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

You can hammer, but you based it off of one game. The swedes had to play the way they did in the u18s was that they werent gonna get to many chances to score against possibly the best usdp team i have ever seen.  You should get some tape on him though from djurgarden in the shl. That is the good $&!# and might help you understand why we took him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

You can hammer, but you based it off of one game. The swedes had to play the way they did in the u18s was that they werent gonna get to many chances to score against possibly the best usdp team i have ever seen.  You should get some tape on him though from djurgarden in the shl. That is the good $&!# and might help you understand why we took him. 

Thank you. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well this is a depressing and lame thread. I'll check back in a couple of years. Hopefully by some miracle this kid has learned how to tie his own skates.

Imagine the excitement/ interest in this thread if Lekkerimaki came over to play with the Giants next season?  

• Cheers 1