The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

Lots of upside, but definitely a project. About what you can expect from a pick around 15.

The thing that worries are the comments about his skating. Skating is so important for players now, and an undersized one being an underwhelming skater is a career killer. I hope they get him in contact with Bo’s skating coach.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Meh… you can’t expect much from this position.

JR says he likes a big fast team, they draft a small slow player.

Do not know about him being slow, many scouts profile him as having good speed. 

• Thanks 1

was hoping for a dman or center. 
It’s funny I feel the same after this pick as I did when they took petterson. I was uncertain and thought they reached for a meh player. I was completely wrong then. Let’s hope the outcome is the same.

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Do not know about him being slow, many scouts profile him as having good speed. 

The scouting reports so saw and what they said on the broadcast said his speed was a knock on him.  “Nylander without the speed”.

For our group and for the profile they said they wanted, I would have picked Ohgren, Pickering, Miroschnichenko, or Bichsel.

We won’t know the answer on this pick for 4-5 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

BPA for sure, i think some of the other teams drafted based on position bias of D and C leaving us with a very highly rated RW. 

He's slight for sure, but does remind me a lot of Petey u can see the influence in his game. 

Concerns of his skating are being a little over blown. While not elite or super fast from watching his tape he looks to have good edge work that compliments his puck handling. Again looks like a slightly slower version of Petey, but he's only 17 - plenty of room to grow and likely 3 years in the cooker.

High reward pick with lots of natural talent and Swedish support network to help him grow. Look forward to seeing how he develops. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Skating

Lekkerimäki has excellent ankle flexion as his knee cap is consistently aligned with the toe of his skate. His ankle flexion and his lowered posture (knees bent) allows him to generate quality straight line speed. When he looks to go into stride, he starts off his stride with a crossover. After the initial few lengthy crossovers, he deploys a shortened skate extension, but over time he lengthens his extension. With his excellent skating mechanics, he has shown that he can generate and maintain quality speed through crossovers and straight line speed to ensure that he has the necessary speed to get back into the neutral zone towards the defensive zone blue line when an attacker has the puck on his stick and Lekkerimäki is behind the rush. In tight battles for loose pucks, he can rely on his crossovers to give him some edge if he slightly further back from the attacker (like a DRS boost for those F1 fans). When making turns, he does a good job of leaning on his edges to retain the speed that the had prior to making the turn and he can also add to the speed after completing turn by utilizing quality crossovers and lengthy skate extensions to get into gear.

Skating

Lekkermaki has been criticized by some for his skating, and while it is not bad, it is very average. This can be a bit of an issue as he is a bit undersized. His stride is a bit choppy and he needs a bit more knee bend. These poor mechanics are holding him back, as his top-end speed and acceleration are merely average. 

Another one:

He is average at best when it comes to skating..”

“When it comes to skating, Lekkerimaki isn’t the fastest skater at full stride”

… and McGuire mentioned his lack of speed when he was picked 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2