The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | D

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I hope this isn’t the case all season.

Seems to me he would have played a big role for Djurgarden. 

Still good to develop chemistry with Pettersson, and hopefully Carlsson comes back and they can ply together.

Would be a lot better if these two were over here in the CHL or AHL. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully Ohlund.

Ohlund in his prime was a true number 1 D man.

Hughes, Willander

D-Petey, Hronek

That will be a fantastic top four. What’s really good is Hughes and Hronek are both still really young. So they will both be in their primes still when Willander and D-Petey are their partners. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Willander

D-Petey, Hronek

That will be a fantastic top four. What’s really good is Hughes and Hronek are both still really young. So they will both be in their primes still when Willander and D-Petey are their partners. 

That was the beauty of the Hronek trade, the time line envisaged by management. IMO thy're seeing the team hitting it's prime in 2 more season

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

That was the beauty of the Hronek trade, the time line envisaged by management. IMO thy're seeing the team hitting it's prime in 2 more season

Yup. Unlike the previous regime, this group has an actual plan. We will have key core players entering their primes and getting big cap allocation, but (this regime) has young elc guys coming into the group to offset those big contracts. Alf hasn’t (honestly) felt this positive about our club since the Gillis years. 

• Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Unlike the previous regime, this group has an actual plan. We will have key core players entering their primes and getting big cap allocation, but (this regime) has young elc guys coming into the group to offset those big contracts. Alf hasn’t (honestly) felt this positive about our club since the Gillis years. 

Absolutely right! that's my take too. Maybe some on the board can't remember the Gillis era or couldn't stand his arrogance. But other than inuries and suspensions he got this club realy close. I see PA as similar, plus he has a sounding board in JR in a further 2 season he has a lot of FA's coming up and the space to complete the job. When he took the mess over I couldn't see any way to improve, well IMO he's done just that

On 8/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, Alflives said:

Is D Petey more Edler or Ohlund? 

Alex Edler. Both were drafted in the 3rd round. Ohlund was basically a top pairing guy at one time until his eye injury. He could have been Victor Hedman lite. He had it all. 

D-Petey looks like he will have the same trajectory as Edler. Hopefully he is in Abby next season along with Lekkerimaki. 

Petey, D-Petey, Willander, Lekkerimäki, Höglander, Åman. 

The Swedish players are back in town…

On 8/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

From watching D-Petey on the ice here, it looks like he has grown and is taller than when he was drafted. I would say he is 6’3”-6’4”. The guy standing beside him, #33, is listed at 192cm or 6’4”. D-Petey looks to be the same height. 

If he can add on some weight he could be as big as Edler or Ohlund when he’s fully grown. 

Pettersson 19 - LD -6'3 - ( 210 when by 2100) Will be #2--#3 D man for many years

Willander 18 RD 6'1 - 205 lbs  by 21yr old - #1 D Man for many year-- Elite skating and reads game well

Hughes LD -- Willander RD ---  2 yrs away

Perttersson LD -- Hronek RD.  -- 2 yrs away

Very exciting

• Vintage 3

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Pettersson 19 - LD -6'3 - ( 210 when by 2100) Will be #2--#3 D man for many years

Willander 18 RD 6'1 - 205 lbs  by 21yr old - #1 D Man for many year-- Elite skating and reads game well

Very exciting

We have a lot of other wild cards too... I'm still hopeful that Joni Jurmo and Kirill Kudryatsev keep on progressing. 

Indeed, it's exciting to think of those two pairings you mentioned. 

Pettersson kept his trademark physical presence every shift and he played with confidence, which he backs up with his work ethic that Komisarek saw at Canucks' Development Camp. He recalled Pettersson working through drills and approaching every rep with the same intensity, which translates to his game.  

"He's a disrupter on the back end and is constantly getting in the way. He's a smooth, mobile skater for his size, and like Jackson too, he'll initiate contact. He wants to win those battles and move pucks and we're helping him realize that untapped potential offensively as well. He showed a couple glimpses of getting up on the rush and is assertive and confident in all areas of the game," he said. 

Last season with Orebro HK, the 18-year-old Pettersson exuded confidence and tallied seven points (1-6-7) in 43 games. He returns to Orebro HK in the SHL this season and Komisarek expects him, and fellow 2022 NHL Draft pick Jonathan Lekkerimaki, to be key pieces of the team. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-prospects-are-laser-focused-at-world-junior-summer-showcase/c-345622482

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, wildcam said:

Very exciting

There are others with great potential...

LDs             RDs

Hirose  -  Johansson - 1-2yrs away

Kudryatsev  -   Brzustewicz  -  2-3yrs away

Maybes...

Jurmo - McWard/Woo

On 8/16/2023 at 10:17 AM, DeNiro said:

Hopefully Ohlund.

Ohlund in his prime was a true number 1 D man.

As an all-round defenceman, Ohlund was numero uno for Canucks. In his best years, Edler was up there,, but defensively he was not Ohlund. In the fifty three years I have been watching the Canucks, the best offensive D that has put on the uni was Paul Reinhart, but with each year I see Hughes, he just keeps getting better. He is not a big guy, but the times that opposition players can take advantage of that just keep decreasing. Hughes can take over a game like only Reinhart used to be able to do in his prime. The best thing the Canucks have done in recent years was sign this kid to a long-term contract. - but we will rue the day that it wasn't longer.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

As an all-round defenceman, Ohlund was numero uno for Canucks. In his best years, Edler was up there,, but defensively he was not Ohlund. In the fifty three years I have been watching the Canucks, the best offensive D that has put on the uni was Paul Reinhart, but with each year I see Hughes, he just keeps getting better. He is not a big guy, but the times that opposition players can take advantage of that just keep decreasing. Hughes can take over a game like only Reinhart used to be able to do in his prime. The best thing the Canucks have done in recent years was sign this kid to a long-term contract. - but we will rue the day that it wasn't longer.

How many years does Hughes have left? If the cap keeps going up by then, it should be no problem re-signing him.