Canucks 2022 Draft Was...  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Canucks 2022 Draft

• EXCELLENT
    • GOOD
    • AVERAGE
    • SIMPLY BENNING AWFUL.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 07:00 PM

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

The best D went almost immediately.

I wouldn't give up Letterkenny (Lekkerimäki) for any of those that followed that pick.

He's gonna be sniping those immaculate passes from Petey in a couple years.

And we took a D with the next chance we got (T. O. Pettersson - The Other Pettersson) and several more D after that.

They are back-filling the prospect pipeline and lower ranks; can't afford to go after big-ticket players (yet).

Letterkenny :lol:

Besides that, lets just hope you are right. 
I was so happy with Podz as he looked like he could be a bigger body able to play top six. 
It remains to be seen, if Letterkenny will be able to do the same. 

I was hoping for a big D man, and if not then swing for the fences with a Russian. 

Am happy with the big C though. Time will tell if he'll manage, but he would definitely fill a hole in the lone up.... eventually. 

• Cheers 1

There were some guys that I was really hoping to see the Canucks draft and was disappointed that they didn't make a move for. 

#1 Ben King. He lead the WHL in goals and was second in points behind only Arsh Bains. 6'3" centerman and somewhat of a hometown kid from Vernon BC. Hes an overager at 20 years old already, but looking at his stats from the last two years it doesn't make sense why he was never drafted. We could have had him with our 3rd round pick. 

#2 Connor Hvidston. He was the youngest player in the whole draft. I always think there is sneaky potential when lots of other people hes being compared to are almost a full year older than him. Could have had him with our 4th round pick. 

#3 Graham Sward. 6'2" defenseman from Abbotsford. 43 points in 57 games this year. Could have had him with our 5th round pick. 

#4 Matthew Seminoff. Winger from Coquitlam who played for Kamloops. Just under a point per game. Could of had him with our 6th round pick. 

So... 

Ben King

Connor Hvidston

Graham Sward

Matt Seminoff

vs

Elias Petterson

Daimon Gardner

Ty Young

Jackson Dorrington

Will look back on this in a year and see how my scouting compares to the Canucks haha. 

22 hours ago, billabong said:

My only disappointment is this teams inability to acquire a few extra picks 

I thought for sure they would acquire at least 1 or 2 mid to late round picks but naww :wacko:

If a good deal isn't offered to us and we don't take it and wait, I'd rather we wait for the best deal possible. We still have all summer and next year's draft is deeper anyway and no one signed would even make an impact for 2-3 years anyway. 

I'd rather have better chances to pick from next year. We only REALLY need D anyway since we have Kuz on his way who potentially take up whatever JT slack is left over and then upgrade bottom 6 for toughness and go from there.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can we call the Habs’ draft the worst ever?  My God, what were they Doing?  What a total disaster in Habville. 

how so? they had a boatload of picks and they have a clear plan this and next year = rebuild.

1 hour ago, TmanVan said:

There were some guys that I was really hoping to see the Canucks draft and was disappointed that they didn't make a move for. 

#1 Ben King. He lead the WHL in goals and was second in points behind only Arsh Bains. 6'3" centerman and somewhat of a hometown kid from Vernon BC. Hes an overager at 20 years old already, but looking at his stats from the last two years it doesn't make sense why he was never drafted. We could have had him with our 3rd round pick. 

#2 Connor Hvidston. He was the youngest player in the whole draft. I always think there is sneaky potential when lots of other people hes being compared to are almost a full year older than him. Could have had him with our 4th round pick. 

#3 Graham Sward. 6'2" defenseman from Abbotsford. 43 points in 57 games this year. Could have had him with our 5th round pick. 

#4 Matthew Seminoff. Winger from Coquitlam who played for Kamloops. Just under a point per game. Could of had him with our 6th round pick. 

So... 

Ben King

Connor Hvidston

Graham Sward

Matt Seminoff

vs

Elias Petterson

Daimon Gardner

Ty Young

Jackson Dorrington

Will look back on this in a year and see how my scouting compares to the Canucks haha. 

Well everyone has their OPINION on draft pick positions. It's so all over the board and just because someone SAYS one way or the other doesn't necessarily mean it's right, even the top scouting reports get it wrong so you really can't go by that 100%. 

At the end of the day it's a crapshoot at best. 

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well everyone has their OPINION on draft pick positions. It's so all over the board and just because someone SAYS one way or the other doesn't necessarily mean it's right, even the top scouting reports get it wrong so you really can't go by that 100%. 

At the end of the day it's a crapshoot at best. 

Yea of course its all opinion. Im not saying I know more than professional scouts. Its just nice to see some local kids picked, especially once you start getting into the 4th/5th round, when its all a crapshoot anyways!

22 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Poll included.

Rating? Good. Could have been more risk takers or grab more picks (failed to do either). Picked up the top sniper potential in the draft and a couple later picks (Gardner, Pettersson) look solid.

Wild (Brackett...Benning pushed him out the door), Detroit, Canadiens, Columbus and even Phoenix I thought had EXCELLENT draft days. 

In terms of trades or off-loading Miller (after all the rumors and Isles trade going dead) = unremarkable FAIL for the new regime. The next deadline is July 13 (UFA season).

OP you make no sense 

If you're going to gawk over Judd Brackett, then why is "Simply Benning Awful" an option? Judd had a big influence in Benning's drafting and vice versa. 

This draft was average for me. They just picked the BPA. I was hoping for more swings on Russians that fell in the draft (like your boy Judd) but it didn't happen. 

Like pretty much all our picks except that I would've preferred to not pick a goalie again. 

The team better start turning excess goalies like DiPietro into draft picks. 

Not upset with no deal of JT, we have lots of time with him and keeping him with an extension is a very good option too especially if it can be done on a 5 or max 6 year term. 

7 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Yea of course its all opinion. Im not saying I know more than professional scouts. Its just nice to see some local kids picked, especially once you start getting into the 4th/5th round, when its all a crapshoot anyways!

So obviously out scouts did what they were paid for and from what I can tell we did ok, we drafted at all positions and each one has its upside and downside but that's normal but each one has a good upside potential. 

I didn't think any one of them were bad picks so we can be satisfied with that. 

I'm not saying you in particular but everyone would say they would have done differently but there's no clear miss from what we got. 

We did ok though.. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OP you make no sense 

If you're going to gawk over Judd Brackett, then why is "Simply Benning Awful" an option? Judd had a big influence in Benning's drafting and vice versa. 

This draft was average for me. They just picked the BPA. I was hoping for more swings on Russians that fell in the draft (like your boy Judd) but it didn't happen. 

Like pretty much all our picks except that I would've preferred to not pick a goalie again. 

Not upset with no deal of JT, we have lots of time with him and keeping him with an extension is a very good option too especially if it can be done on a 5 or max 6 year term. 

I didn't even pay attention to the poll but whatever but keep in mind Mike D still has the potential to be a number 1 goalie but his development through covid isn't the reg way a prospect goes through so you can at least say he's a bit behind the leaning curve and simply needs more work. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

I didn't even pay attention to the poll but whatever but keep in mind Mike D still has the potential to be a number 1 goalie but his development through covid isn't the reg way a prospect goes through so you can at least say he's a bit behind the leaning curve and simply needs more work. 

For sure and he still has potential. 

Goalies take the longest to develop. I would just prefer to put my eggs in the Silovs' basket. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OP you make no sense 

Ok VH I had to look again, omg yeah... JB awful? WTF?  Last I looked Demko, Petey, Hughes etc have turned out great last I looked and saying it was all the head scouts deal is just stupid, JB would have had to agree and actually pull the pick but he easily could have taken another option but he didn't and thus did his job just fine.. 

Damn homers, good grief! 

• Cheers 1

I can't get over the stupidity or short sightedness of the fan base here, why the rush especially at this year's draft when it wasn't that deep anyway? Why not wait until the best deal instead? 

Man other GM's only wish our management went with Vancouver's popular opinions, we'd get screwed so bad and what especially makes me laugh is most who say that were against the JT trade in the first place. Care for some more salt and pepper on your crow?! 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

We went with BPA according to our scouting list and didn’t defer from that other than Ty Young where our Goalie Guru said snap him up because he likes his tool kit. Now we find out if our amateur scouting is correct on the way they asses things. I did notice a large portion of the kids we took to be Canucks fans growing up/ already. 

27 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

We went with BPA according to our scouting list and didn’t defer from that other than Ty Young where our Goalie Guru said snap him up because he likes his tool kit. Now we find out if our amateur scouting is correct on the way they asses things. I did notice a large portion of the kids we took to be Canucks fans growing up/ already. 

Well VH, even first overall picks that were unanimously voted "awesome" by everyone including teams and media have busted big so it's not quite as easy as people think.. all anyone can do is a "best guess" and hope it works out. Those aren't my words, words of GM's over the year and how could you disagree with it if 1st picks have busted and others that looked promising. 

I've said it before it was a crapshoot, especially just after the ship t hit that fan about giving up our first for JT, what if we didn't and our first busted? What gaurantee did/do have? On a draft, there is none. That's why is was a good move on JB's part which everyone found out later but cried the blues at the time. Too funny, I still laugh about that but point being I'd rather not trade JT for picks anyway. I'd take a lesser risk on a prospect that's showing signs of progress before draft picks. I'd actually go one step further and have NHL ready players who can't crack a deep opposing teams rosters, just like JT somewhat. Any other team team has him on first line, so if there's young D available out there that's our obvious need, I'd rather see us go that way than risk it by trading for picks or at least have a mix of both. Leaning on picks alone is a risk that we're in no position to take yet

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Moth@#€○¥er!

With.... and we got a back up goalie for Abby?

Your right I shouldn't have googled it.

lol, Told you not to look

Look at the kid the Hawks drafted in the 7th.  6 foot 5 or 6 foot 8, right shooting centre  Riku Tohila.

Literally started skating/playing in 2016, lives in a small village and is essentially a complete and utter unknown.  The only thing people do know about him is that he's so raw and skates so well that once he's actually coached and shown the actual game properly that the sky is the literal limit with him.

I wanted him and Sparkes in rounds 6 and 7.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

lol, Told you.

Look at the kid the Hawks drafted in the 7th.  6 foot 5 or 6 foot 8, right shooting centre  Riku Tohila.

Literally started skating/playing in 2016, lives in a small village and is essentially a complete and utter unknown.  The only thing people do know about him is that he's so raw and skates so well that once he's actually coached and shown the actual game properly that the sky is the literal limit with him.

Can we just hire you for next year already.

Moth@#¥er!

:sadno:

• Cheers 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:51 PM, BureBurrito said:

Poll included.

Rating? Good. Could have been more risk takers or grab more picks (failed to do either). Picked up the top sniper potential in the draft and a couple later picks (Gardner, Pettersson) look solid.

Wild (Brackett...Benning pushed him out the door), Detroit, Canadiens, Columbus and even Phoenix I thought had EXCELLENT draft days. 

In terms of trades or off-loading Miller (after all the rumors and Isles trade going dead) = unremarkable FAIL for the new regime. The next deadline is July 13 (UFA season).

Wait… an unremarkable FAIL.

Thats a small fail. 

That’s great!

Miller remains a Canuck.

And that’s the way it ought to be with your best player.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Can we just hire you for next year already.

Moth@#¥er!

:sadno:

So, for the record.  Per round.  My wants/needs were

1.  Gauthier/Bichsel

3.  Warren/Pettersson

4.  King/Johansson/Arnsby

5.  Barbashev

6.  Sparkes

7.  Tohila

Kind of nailed all the size/speed/skill issues on every possible metric with a couple RHD/RHC with size tossed in.  But what I want vs what we do is literally never accurate.

Except...for calling Slafkovsky 1st overall, telegraphed that bad boy back in March and gd am I envious of the Habs right now.  They have the REAL superstar Hughes ;) 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I thought Spencer gave us time to not drafting another goalie. I mean we need RHD why not draft another one in the later rounds.

You can never have enough goalies. Plus like any position they can be a hit or a miss. Goalies taken late in the draft are often years away. Two more years of junior, then years in the AHL. Is it important to have good goalies in the AHL? There will be call ups and you still need a good goalie for your AHL team. What if Spencer really proves himself and is gone in two years because he wants too much money? Thus if there's one you had an eye on and they are still available late in the draft it's a really good risk for down the road. Goalie is such a key position you really need a steady supply "just in case". And if you don't need them they become trade assets.

It's a wait a see how these picks turn out.  Question...  How many here feel that Lekkerimaki will be the better pick versus Öhgren?  Personally, I would have gone with Öhgren, because I feel we still need more grit and overall high end 200 ft players in our middle to bottom 6.  Where as Lekkerimaki will be top 6 or bust (I don't think he'll bust though).  But value wise, is Lekky the better choice (league wide compared to for this team).  Obviously time will tell but at first glance between the two what say you?

Edited by Hogs & Podz