The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I havent seen all the numbers but that 10.4 Million for JT is probably just for 1 year. 

sure but going back to Mikheyev, his value is at 6million last year (2021-2022) based on his play. He is in his prime, i don't think he will devalue so much. So for Dom to say he is pricey I think is confusing to say the least.

23 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I never understood why this matters in terms of position.  If a winger is good at faceoffs can they not slide back to wing during the course of play?  What if a player is good at the position but not faceoffs and vice versa?

Always found it strange.

it matters because someone has to take those extra 1233 draws next year instead of Miller if he's traded.

Bo can't be out for much more, and no one else we have is any good at them.

Edited by Jayinblack

23 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I never understood why this matters in terms of position.  If a winger is good at faceoffs can they not slide back to wing during the course of play?  What if a player is good at the position but not faceoffs and vice versa?

Always found it strange.

This is exactly what Miller did most of 2020-21. This year, however, we was used more as a centre and not as much on Petey's line.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

If Mikheyev is going to be playing top six minutes, then who does that push out? Höglander? Garland? 

From what I see right now being the top six, assuming Miller is still here when the season begins: 

-Miller, Bo, Brock, Mikheyev, Petey, Podkolzin

So that means Höglander is pushed to the third line, with probably Pearson and Dickinson. 

Not such a big deal if one of them plays 3rd line this year and develops more.

Kuzmenko will be a ufa afterwards, and if all goes well we probably can't afford him afterwards which opens up a spot.

44 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

We’re looking to trade Pearson  Dickinson and Miller.  Miller played mostly on the wing.  Ideally I’d like t9 have Petey Horvat and Miller all three down the middle. But unless you plan on not having a 4th line centre there won’t be enough icetime for those 3.  You can’t have Horvat or Petey only playing 12-15 mins.  

Do you think Petey is ready for 700-1200 more faceoffs ?

7 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

it matters because someone has to take those extra 1233 draws next year instead of Miller if he's traded.

Bo can't be out for much more, and no one else we have is any good at them.

"in terms of position"

You missed my point mate! 

I didn’t expect this but way to go! I like it alot!

We can all see that there are trades coming and it will be F for D. That’s what the signings today forces us to do and that is what Jim said was going down. Sign mostly depth, mostly. And trade for D. Garland, Miller and Dipietro look like the guys we’ll move (no surprise there of course) and I sense it will be after these first 2-3 days when things calm down a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Market value 10.4 million? He's a great player and just had a career year. Good leader and team-mate but these projections on players are nuts.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9UeEfgdG698RbZxd0CVD

The Dom middle generally does a really good job of projecting value. Yes, it's nuts. But it's not unreasonable. I expect he's looking for 9 myself.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

For wingers who have proven to be capable of top 6 ice time, we have Garland, Boeser, Pearson, Kuzmenko and now Mikheyev. We also have Hogs and Podz - you would think one of which has a reasonable chance of being top 6 capable this season, or at least an elite 3rd. Possibly both if we are super lucky. Then we can throw in Miller as a potential winger as well, though with this signing some cap is going to have to be moved out one way or another, and moving JT seems the most logical place to do that.

Essentially, our top 9 wingers are pretty much established now unless management does indeed move out Garland which some are hoping for - though I personally feel that would be a mistake unless the return was stellar.

If we do move Miller we would have a challenging time replacing all his scoring, but I do like our new scoring depth on wing to at least give it a shot. 

Garland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson/Podz Horvat Mikheyev
Podz/Pearson Dickinson Kuzmenko
Hogs Lazar Lockwood

Honestly, to me that looks like a better lineup than last year. I feel our scoring is anywhere from a wash from last year to potentially noticeably better, depending on how well some of those bottom 6 players manage to produce. In any event, the above lineup should still provide some cap space left to fix the D - which really needs to be Allvin & Co.'s next focus. 

The least phyical line in the NHL right there. They were the bottom three forwards with 20+ games on the team in hits per 60 minutes. Plus Petey loses more faceoffs than he wins (44.1%). Petey may actually be better used as a winger than at C. He took over 500 faceoffs last season and had no improvemnt from the first half to the second half. 

Podz Pettersson Mikheyev would make more sense. Two reasonably physical wingers and both are defensively responsible when Petey loses draws. At least the entire line is defensively repsonsible and there is some physicality to it. Garland is very responsible defensively but is only a little more physical than Petey. Even Garland Petey Mikheyev (or Podz) would be a better option. The improvement in Podz defenfensive was rather remarkable over the past season and Garland isn't particularly physical but he does really hound players defensively. 

if Hogs doesn't make the top nine I could see him playing in Abby to work on the defensive side of his game. He's not physical nor defensively responsible enough for 4th line. He'd be the weakest link there. Even third line he'd likely be the weakest link. With Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, and Karlsson coming in this year Hogs is going to be hard pressed. Podz has already passed him on the depth chart imo.There's going to be real competition this year for those middle six spots.

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

The Dom middle generally does a really good job of projecting value. Yes, it's nuts. But it's not unreasonable. I expect he's looking for 9 myself.

Miller is getting his ass traded.  Hopefully it’s to a crap team so he can suffer for a year.  Then he has a crap season, so he gets a crap contract and suffers more.  Alf is done with Miller.  (And drunk, of course) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

"in terms of position"

You missed my point mate! 

I hear ya... got no problems with player A taking draws before slotting back to wing.

Just stressing why we need to trade a winger and not necessarily JT (because we'd be left weak down the middle)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

We also have Kuzmenko who will get too 6 minutes 

Yeah, that’s true as well. 

I see the top six shaping out to be like this: Bo, Brock, Petey, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev and Podkolzin. 

Pearson relegated to the third line, with Dickinson and Höglander. 

Fourth line with Lazar, and whoever else. 

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The least phyical line in the NHL right there. They were the bottom three forwards with 20+ games on the team in hits per 60 minutes. Plus Petey loses more faceoffs than he wins (44.1%). Petey may actually be better used as a winger than at C. He took over 500 faceoffs last season and had no improvemnt from the first half to the second half. 

Podz Pettersson Mikheyev would make more sense. Two reasonably physical wingers and both are defensively responsible when Petey loses draws. At least the entire line is defensively repsonsible and there is some physicality to it. Garland is very responsible defensively but is only a little more physical than Petey. Even Garland Petey Mikheyev (or Podz) would be a better option. The improvement in Podz defenfensive was rather remarkable over the past season and Garland isn't particularly physical but he does really hound players defensively. 

if Hogs doesn't make the top nine I could see him playing in Abby to work on the defensive side of his game. He's not physical nor defensively responsible enough for 4th line. He'd be the weakest link there. Even third line he'd likely be the weakest link. With Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, and Karlsson coming in this year Hogs is going to be hard pressed. Podz has already passed him on the depth chart imo.There's going to be real competition this year for those middle six spots.

Does Höglander need waivers to go down to Abby?

37 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Always found it strange.

True as long as everybody knows their role. But if we move Miller, Petey is going to be "the" C and taking more faceoffs. Miller is a C himself though. How many actual wingers are truly good at faceoffs? Petey played a fair number of games on Bo's wing last season. So was Bo the winger then? The simple truth is Petey has played wing in both the SHL and NHL. He may prefer the role center but it doesn't mean he's actually the best option for it.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, mordekai said:

sure but going back to Mikheyev, his value is at 6million last year (2021-2022) based on his play. He is in his prime, i don't think he will devalue so much. So for Dom to say he is pricey I think is confusing to say the least.

The model uses age statistics which have the average players prime at 27-28 years old it looks like, then devaluing as they approach 30 pretty hard. Different for all plays but they likely use the averages. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

19 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Market value 10.4 million? He's a great player and just had a career year. Good leader and team-mate but these projections on players are nuts.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9UeEfgdG698RbZxd0CVD

That would be for a one year contract which is fair coming off a 99 point season. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

True as long as everybody knows their role. But if we move Miller, Petey is going to be "the" C and taking more faceoffs. Miller is a C himself though. How many actual wingers are truly good at faceoffs? Petey played a fair number of games on Bo's wing last season. So was Bo the winger then? The simple truth is Petey has played wing in both the SHL and NHL. He may prefer the role center but it doesn't mean he's actually the best option for it.

Yeah, probably not many!  I don't think most wingers even practice it.  I just never understood why.

More of a fundamental question of how the game is approached. 

• Cheers 1

I like this signing..  it’s a great grab,  kid is dynamic, full tool box.

Dosent wait for the puck, has a step up..

knows what areas to go to, get the lane for his advantage ..

He is shifty behind D coverage in the Ozone.  Great Skater , Great Shot

Personally, I see more potential in this player than what I’ve seen in Brock.

Edited by SilentSam

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is getting his ass traded.  Hopefully it’s to a crap team so he can suffer for a year.  Then he has a crap season, so he gets a crap contract and suffers more.  Alf is done with Miller.  (And drunk, of course) 

He won’t be traded to a bad team, Alf. A good team is going to want him to help them in either their playoff chances, or a contending team will want him to bolster their shot at winning the Cup. 

The Rangers to me makes the most sense. But their refusal to part ways with Schneider, I think makes the deal a no go, or else it probably would’ve been done already. But if Gaudreau signs with one of NYI, NYR or NJD, then one of those teams who loses out on Gaudreau, I think circles back to the Canucks to see if a deal can be made. Those three teams are in the same division, and the Rangers already added Trocheck. Islanders haven’t done much yet, with the exception of adding Romanov, and the Devils drafted Nemec, but he won’t be ready to play meaningful role for a while still. Those teams are going to be competing against each other.