The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Mikheyev I think would be an excellent line-mate for Petey and Brock.  Brock can score; we know that.  And Petey is an elite playmaker and thinks the game really well too.  Add Mikheyev’s speed, and defensive awareness and that’s the making of a dominant line.  I can see Brock scoring a lot more 5 on 5 playing with those two.  On the rush Mikheyev will push the defence back creating space for Petey and Brock to work above the dots.  

Yeah I think that could definitely work. Brock might have some difficulty keeping up with their speed but if he is able to be the trailer when ilya and petey push back the defence, that could be money. Brock's success will depend on his ability to find the soft spots on the ice when his line mates push the pace and back up the D. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, DeNiro said:

Yea our pk sunk us last season and now we won’t have Motte.

Definitely needed a legit pker that can also play top 9. Special teams are too important in todays game to not invest in them.

Also has annoyed me that we haven’t had a shorthanded threat for so long. Our pk was always so passive and never tried for those short handed chances. Mikayev brings that threat constantly with his speed, and makes teams more hesitant to make certain passes.

Yes, Petey too, they can both burn guys on the PK.

Edited by Gawdzukes

On 7/16/2022 at 2:00 PM, Alflives said:

Might have had nothing to do with Miller and it was Garland for Pageau or something like that. 

Only problem there is Pageau makes more than Garland. He's grossly overpaid at $5m per. Garland also had 13 more points. You  may be right but I don't know why they would do that. We'll likely never know haha

Edited by Harold Drunken

On 7/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, Devron said:

Maybe that’s why they haven’t traded Garland. You’d be relying on Hoglander taking a pretty big step next year 

Honestly, if you look at some 50-60 point guys who were signed this off season, Garland's value is just right if not under market value. This was literally Garland's most productive NHL season in terms of points. Trocheck had 51 points last year and 43 the year before and just signed for 7 years at $5.625 per. Garland was more productive with 52 points and makes $675,000 less. 50-60 point guys are getting $5-6 + m per year right now. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I think that could definitely work. Brock might have some difficulty keeping up with their speed but if he is able to be the trailer when ilya and petey push back the defence, that could be money. Brock's success will depend on his ability to find the soft spots on the ice when his line mates push the pace and back up the D. 

Kuzmenko with brick and Miller might work really well.  Brock did really well as the trigger man with the Sedins.  Giving a line like this lots of ozone starts they could probably dominate possession and fill the net.

9 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Honestly, if you look at some 50-60 point guys who were signed this off season, Garland's value is just right if not under market value. This was literally Garland's most productive NHL season in terms of points. Trocheck had 51 points last year and 43 the year before and just signed for 7 years at $5.625 per. Garland was more productive with 52 points and makes $675,000 less. 50-60 point guys are getting $5-6 + m per year right now. 

Garland is a beauty at his cap hit. Guy is a bargain at <5m. He just needs to play with talent to get points. Podz-Miller-Garland were the perfect combination. Now that Petey has that big LW he needed, we have a great 1A/1B line in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Kuzmenko with brick and Miller might work really well.  Brock did really well as the trigger man with the Sedins.  Giving a line like this lots of ozone starts they could probably dominate possession and fill the net.

Beoser is too much like Kuz; they are opportunistic shooters that don't contribute 100% to the 200' game. Playing them on the same line would be suicide, especially with Miller whom gets emotionally lazy sometimes. Put a shooter with Peterson and the horvat; make the Miller line the all effort one.

Edited by BC_Hawk

23 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Garland is a beauty at his cap hit. Guy is a bargain at <5m. He just needs to play with talent to get points. Podz-Miller-Garland were the perfect combination. Now that Petey has that big LW he needed, we have a great 1A/1B line in my opinion. 

how does that lineup work? 3rd line of

Podz-Miller-Garland

Mikheyev Petey Boeser

Kuzmenko/Pearson Bo Hoglander/Dickinson?

and then one of Pearson/Kuzmenko on the fourth line?

30 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Sorry to break it to you, but actually Garland (with his contract) is craperolla.  If we could have dumperooed him to clear cap we would have.  Just another example of the many terrible contracts.  

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Podz-Miller-Garland

Mikheyev Petey Boeser

Can’t have a good team and Garland.  Not too sure how to dumperoo his contract, but that’s got to be done.  Hopefully there’s a dumbo GM out there, as dumb as Benning, who will take that contract and return us futures.  

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Podz-Miller-Garland

Mikheyev Petey Boeser

Think they got Kuz by promising top 6 minutes.

Maybe…

Kuz Miller Garland

Podz EP Mik

Pearson Bo Boeser 

Bo gets a sniper on his wing.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Maybe…

Kuz Miller Garland

Podz EP Mik

Pearson Bo Boeser 

Yeah we have an infinite amount of combinations on paper. Poor Bo though lol, back to his old line mates with all these wingers flying around ... although not necessarily the worst thing.

With Mikheyev and Kuzmenko promised some prime ice time, there is no way we go into the season without two forwards going out. With Boeser just resigned it’s looking like Miller and Garland, and that is a terrible downgrade, but it also gains assets hopefully in the form of Prospects and picks to build the defence and Center position. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Maybe…

Kuz Miller Garland

Podz EP Mik

Pearson Bo Boeser 

I’d leave Beoser on the Petterson line. Have a 2/3rd line of Pearson-Horvat-Kuz

kuz is a sniper too

7 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

With Mikheyev and Kuzmenko promised some prime ice time, there is no way we go into the season without two forwards going out. With Boeser just resigned it’s looking like Miller and Garland, and that is a terrible downgrade, but it also gains assets hopefully in the form of Prospects and picks to build the defence and Center position. 

Mikheyev gets to play with Petterson…Kuz with Horvat. With that lineup, we have 3 scoring lines that can split minutes. Only player that need to get shipped is Dickinson; him and Poolman got the crapola contract Alf describes.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably already posted in the player thread.

Anyway, great news that he’s come over to get an early start on prepping for the NHL season.

Also just good to hear he’s already made the flight over here, without any issues, given the current situation in Russia.

Love this 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:53 PM, CanucksJay said:

OK so at 6.65m what are you expecting from Brock? 

Pasternak 26yo 6.66m 40 goals 77 points

Nylander 26yo 6.9M 34goals 80 points 

Reinhart  26yo 6.5m 33g 82 points

Debrincat 24yo 6.4m 41g 78 points

Brock 25yo 6.65m  23g 46points 

I could go on Mackinnon, Nichushkin, Larkin, Barzal, Guentzel, Meir basically any and all of Brocks peers (24-27yo) making close to his money are considerably better players with Monahan being the one exception 

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active?stats-season=2022&pg=2

I'd like to see 35g and 70+ points 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Pasternak 26yo 6.66m 40 goals 77 points

Nylander 26yo 6.9M 34goals 80 points 

Reinhart  26yo 6.5m 33g 82 points

Debrincat 24yo 6.4m 41g 78 points

Brock 25yo 6.65m  23g 46points 

I could go on Mackinnon, Nichushkin, Larkin, Guentzel, Meir basically any and all of Brocks peers (24-27yo) making close to his money are considerably better players with Monahan being the one exception 

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active?stats-season=2022&pg=2

I'd like to see 35g and 70+ points 

And in that lies the problem; Allvin over paid for a 100’ player, whom could have been replaced with Kuz for <1m. I like Brock, but not at 6.65….maybe 5m ( sorry Alf; prefer Garland to him…..more effort). And don’t get me into the Dermott trade; those that say he is worth the $ in the 7th position don’t understand the cap. The 7th spot is for <1m contracts from smart GMs.

Edited by BC_Hawk