The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dhaliwal: Canucks have spoken to Evan Rodrigues agent

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to wonder how much he'll cost if he's holding out this long because there's surely lots of interest. If we can get him for under 3.5M that would be a win in my books, 3M x 2-3 years would be ideal.

Not sure how much De Hann is worth but surely not very much, no more than 2M really for a bottom pairing guy. 

That 5M, plus our 2.5M over the cap right now, will have to come from somewhere though.

Poolman to LTIR gives us 2.5M. The easy option is flipping Garland for a pick or prospect, otherwise we could trade Dickinson to anyone and may have to throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder, and try and jiggle the books a bit. Waiving him may only give us 1M in relief.

I really like Rodrigues as center depth for our roster. Can play any position, great on the PP and PK. I watched him in the recent playoffs when he was used as a 4th line RW in PIT and he was great. His line dominated possession and shot attempts. He was equally useful on the power play (scored a goal), even strength (scored a goal), and short handed (scored a goal). A righty and pretty good on faceoffs too.

If JR thinks that he might end up trading Miller this season, then someone like Rodrigues would be excellent to slot into 3C behind Horvat and Pettersson.

If they know Poolman is out on LTIR for the whole season then it becomes a lot easier to manage the cap...no need to trade Garland or spend assets to trade Dicky.

Currently $2.75m over the cap limit. Waive Dickinson, Dowling, Keeper and put Poolman & Ferland on LTIR. That saves you $8.63m, so cap space is now $5.88m.

Bring Joshua + Rathbone onto the roster. Cap space is now $4.2m.

Gives us $4.2m to sign both Rodrigues and De Haan. Something like: $2.8m x 3 years Rodrigues and $1.4m x 1 year for De Haan should be enough.

Roster without thinking too much about combinations:

Pearson Miller Garland

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Mikheyev

Joshua Lazar Rodrigues

(Hoglander)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott DeHaan

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If they know Poolman is out on LTIR for the whole season then it becomes a lot easier to manage the cap...no need to trade Garland or spend assets to trade Dicky.

As it sits right now he is skating and working out, his agent is quoted as saying....

“He has done some high-heart rate stuff and he’s hoping to get back on the ice soon and be strengthened. I don’t know about that (migraine) stuff and I don’t think anybody knows. Let’s put it this way: I think he’d call me if something went sideways.” “He has been training and skating all summer,”

That sounds to me like there is a good chance that he will be trying to play games this year. Can't put yourself into full out LTIR if that's a possibility. Besides that there is also the problem of having a full roster. As it sits right now Rodrigues would be on the 4th line. Not the right fit unless we move other forwards.

Edited by coryberg

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Rodrigues only makes sense (for both sides) if one of Miller or Horvat are getting traded. Boudreau had lots of success last year playing Miller, Pettersson, and Horvat on different lines. I suspect with 2 shiny new Russian wingers, that will be even more of the case this season. Despite them playing on 3 lines, none of them are a “3rd liner”, as they are each heavily involved in the PP and PK. Spreading out their 5-on-5 ice time keeps them fresh for special teams, which could be part of the reason they improved so much in those areas.

Rodrigues seems to be a player who gets engaged and plays well if he’s getting regular minutes in a top-6 center roll, but who has difficulty adapting to more of a depth/defensive position, or to playing wing. I can’t see him wanting to join a team with 3 centres all of such high calibre.

As you pointed out, the team would pick up Rodrigues unless the management were certain to move one of the Cs;

namely JT.  Dhaliwal indicated that the Nucks were merely 'checking in' on the Rodrigues situation, so it's nowhere

near a sure thing.  It was also stated that this player is getting a lot of interest from teams, but his $ is to high.

With the amount of talented Ws on the Canucks, I could see them running a 2-way 3rd line that has the ability

to shut down and be a threat offensively.  This situation would suit Rodrigues very well.

Something like  Pears or Garland -  Rodrigues -  Mik

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Don’t we regularly make fun of other teams who keep adding forwards when their D is the real problem?

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup I've been thinking the same thing. Oilers/Leafs model. Boooooooooooooo

I mean... We do need a 3C too, especially with a Miller move likely. But yes, the lack of improvement, particularly at RD is.... frustrating.

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I mean... We do need a 3C too, especially with a Miller move likely. But yes, the lack of improvement, particularly at RD is.... frustrating.

To be honest I think Rodriguez would be a good fit in terms of team need but only if a contract or two are moved out. I am not sure Miller is going to be moved at least not before the season starts. 

I know RD are hard to find but somethings got to give.

I really think the best option might be to put OEL on the right side with Hughes in camp to see if that might be a top pairing that could work for now. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

To be honest I think Rodriguez would be a good fit in terms of team need but only if a contract or two are moved out. I am not sure Miller is going to be moved at least not before the season starts. 

I really think the best option might be to put OEL on the right side with Hughes in camp to see if that might be a top pairing that could work for now. 

Dickinson out Rodrigues in would be ideal. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don’t dislike Dickinson as a player just the experiment of him as a C did not work out. He’s a decent bottom 6 winger though. 

But for that $, he needs to have a serious bounce back season. They way he played last season was atrocious. Hoping he can rediscover his game, find a role on this team and get his confidence back. Otherwise, he might be buried in the A and called up as needed.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, KirkSave said:

But for that $, he needs to have a serious bounce back season. They way he played last season was atrocious. Hoping he can rediscover his game, find a role on this team and get his confidence back. Otherwise, he might be buried in the A and called up as needed.

I think he’d get picked up off waivers if placed at the right time 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I think he’d get picked up off waivers if placed at the right time 

I doubt he would, not at his current cap hit. If he would, I’m sure someone would have offered a

“future consideration” by now. I’m not a JB hater as some are, but this is one of his shitty high contracts for a meh player….ala Roussel or Beagle.

we’d need to add a sweetener to get out of that contract

Edited by BC_Hawk

56 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I doubt he would, not at his current cap hit. If he would, I’m sure someone would have offered a

“future consideration” by now. I’m not a JB hater as some are, but this is one of his shitty high contracts for a meh player….ala Roussel or Beagle.

we’d need to add a sweetener to get out of that contract

Ahhh but again timing is the important factor in this. Get into the season when injuries occur and LTIR cap relief comes in to play and he potentially becomes a viable option again.

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Rodriguez would be great for 3C even if we start with Miller. Don't think we can move anyone unless Pearson can be moved. Unless it gets down to the wire and he take a mil. Then we could bury Dickinson.