The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade John Marino to Devils for Ty Smith, 2023 3rd-round pick

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Severson averages almost 25 minutes a game, kills penalties and plays the PP.  What part of that makes him only a 2nd pairing Dman?  He's a perfect fit for Hughes...

Severson has played that role for the Devils simply out of necessity. They've been a bad team for a long time and their defense has a lot to do with it. He's not playing that role on a championship team because on a championship team there are at least 2 if not 3 D-men that are better than him.

I'm not saying he's not any good, but he's not necessarily the solution for us, and I don't know if the value (or lack thereof) he'll provide on his upcoming UFA contract will be something I want any part of.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh God, are we doing this crap again?  

Why don't you list the games played as well as the goals scored so we have a much better idea of Boeser's average goals per game?  

Next thing you are going to tell me is Boeser isn't a 30 goal scorer cause he only got 29 goals in 62 games, am I right?

Yes, you are right.  He's a 20-25 goal scorer, that's nothing to scoff at.  He could score 30 and I still don't think he'd fit the style they're trying to play here, in my opinion.  

I'm curious why you feel the need to build him up into something he isn't?  At least I'm being realistic about him and his game.  I have zero issues with his character, strictly his style. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Yes, you are right.  He's a 20-25 goal scorer, that's nothing to scoff at.  He could score 30 and I still don't think he'd fit the style they're trying to play here, in my opinion.  

I'm curious why you feel the need to build him up into something he isn't?  At least I'm being realistic about him and his game.  I have zero issues with his character, strictly his style. 

He's not a 20-25 goal scorer, he's a 30 goal scorer on average per game per year.  I am not building him up, I am stating what is fact.  Nobody else has an average per game like him on the team.  You mentioned Mikheyev scored 21 goals last year.  Yes he did, finally when he hit 27 years of age.  He is not a natural goal scorer though, hasn't been his whole career.  As a matter of fact, that is his biggest knock, that he has hands of stone.  Boeser is a natural goal scorer, regardless of what anyone says, he's been doing it his whole life.  We don't currently have a winger like that and they are hard to find.

As for his style, he is not the fastest guy around but when he is in shape he battles hard along the boards, uses his body to get pucks from the corner and has a wicked release.  We may not have seen that last year but he does have that capability based on prior years.  I would rather see him in the lineup as he has skills others don't have.  We don't need every winger to be a burner who can kill penalties.  We need legit goal scorers too.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Perhaps we have different perceptions of Severson but he is a very good defensive dman. I'm not sure why being a puck mover is mutually exclusive from being good in their own zone. Tanev was very much both when he was on this team. As far as the UFA status next year, so is Miller. 

8 NHL seasons .... 8 times a minus player.  "Very good defensive dman" ???

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are not a championship team, we are not even a playoff team right now.  Severson would automatically become our #1 RHD and it's not even close.  He may not be Aaron Ekblad but he would be a major upgrade on Schenn, Poolman or Myers.  We aren't getting Aaron Ekblad for Miller, so people need to lower their expectations.

Severson would be a good fit with Hughes and he can match him minute for minute.  He would be our #1 PK'er and is ranked at the top of the league in that department.  He can also put up 46 points and maybe hit 50+ playing with Hughes.  What's not to like?

I don't think he's as good defensively as you think he is.

And even if he's the best option out there for us, I rather us be patient and wait for something else than just take him because he's out there.

I personally have zero interest in mortgaging/risking anything just to be better next year when everyone knows we won't be good enough to be a legit contender.

Best to wait until free agency and see if the contract he wants is palatable. That way we get him for "free" and will be comfortable with the contract.

And if waiting means we lose out him, so be it, it's Damon Severson.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't think he's as good defensively as you think he is.

And even if he's the best option out there for us, I rather us be patient and wait for something else than just take him because he's out there.

I personally have zero interest in mortgaging/risking anything just to be better next year when everyone knows we won't be good enough to be a legit contender.

Best to wait until free agency and see if the contract he wants is palatable. That way we get him for "free" and will be comfortable with the contract.

And if waiting means we lose out him, so be it, it's Damon Severson.

Plus an unsigned JT and Myers with only on year left at 25 - 50% retained could bring in some assets at TDL. Not ideal for JT but don't mind waiting for the best deal (despite injury risk)

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The idea would be to trade an expiring contract for another expiring contract so we have the opportunity to try and re-sign Severson while he is a Canuck.  The idea that you can simply wait for him to become a UFA and then try and sign him also applies to JT Miller.  So why would teams be lining up to trade for JT Miller right now when, like you said about Severson, they can simply wait until he is a UFA and see where the price is?

Because JT Miller is a much better player than Damon Severson. He is also more versatile, and could provide incredible value @ 50% retained.

Severson would not be a "put you over the top" piece for us, but Miller could definitely be that for one of many contenders.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's not a 20-25 goal scorer, he's a 30 goal scorer on average per game per year.  I am not building him up, I am stating what is fact.  Nobody else has an average per game like him on the team.  You mentioned Mikheyev scored 21 goals last year.  Yes he did, finally when he hit 27 years of age.  He is not a natural goal scorer though, hasn't been his whole career.  As a matter of fact, that is his biggest knock, that he has hands of stone.  Boeser is a natural goal scorer, regardless of what anyone says, he's been doing it his whole life.  We don't currently have a winger like that and they are hard to find.

As for his style, he is not the fastest guy around but when he is in shape he battles hard along the boards, uses his body to get pucks from the corner and has a wicked release.  We may not have seen that last year but he does have that capability based on prior years.  I would rather see him in the lineup as he has skills others don't have.  We don't need every winger to be a burner who can kill penalties.  We need legit goal scorers too.

Natural goal scorer?  Mikheyev scorers the type of goals that need to be scored with much less opportunity.   The type of goals boeser would be too scared or incapable of scoring.  Face it, boeser needs all planets in alighnment to score. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Natural goal scorer?  Mikheyev scorers the type of goals that need to be scored with much less opportunity.   The type of goals boeser would be too scared or incapable of scoring.  Face it, boeser needs all planets in alighnment to score. 

star wars hate GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Frankly, I find the whole "Sleepy Jim" thing insulting and borderline ageist, and wish people would stop.

Given how the mods here have laid down Rule 6, I'm surprised they're not also putting their foot down on the age-based insults about Jim Rutherford.  Especially when it should be covered by Rule 3.

But I better stop here before they say I've an infraction based on Rule 8.  

Yea people need to show Rutherford the respect he deserves.

The guys a hall of famer that didn’t need this job. We’re lucky to have him.

He’s also the only thing between Aquaman and the team right now…

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

:lol:

I think Brock needs to give you a hug.  Maybe you and Flow can hang out together and do some bonding...

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Because JT Miller is a much better player than Damon Severson. He is also more versatile, and could provide incredible value @ 50% retained.

Severson would not be a "put you over the top" piece for us, but Miller could definitely be that for one of many contenders.

That's pretty subjective considering they play completely different positions.  RHD are the hardest to obtain, everyone knows that.  A RHD who can play 25 minutes a night is almost impossible to trade for.  If it was so easy to get RHD they why don't we have any of our own that are actual quality?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL for Severson?   :ph34r:

I don't mind OEL, but that would kinf of solve our issues regarding the cap, but would also leave a hole on the left, unless they believe Rathbone could be the guy. 

Think the plan for Devils ia to include Miller one way or another, hence the Miller +, for defensive help on our RHD side. 

• Upvote 1

That's pretty subjective considering they play completely different positions.

Doesn't really matter, still easy to determine who the better player is.

Who's better, Crosby or Severson?

Shesterkin or Horvat?

Slavin or Perron?

A RHD who can play 25 minutes a night is almost impossible to trade for. 

Myers can play 25 minutes a night too. Many D-men can, doesn't mean they should.

If it was so easy to get RHD they why don't we have any of our own that are actual quality?

image.png

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1