The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's the name of this old arcade game?

Blazer8717

Just wondering if anyone remembers this old arcade game that used to be on the BC Ferries, early 2000's. It was where you play as a dinosaur trying to track down your stolen eggs. You ate cavemen to regen health and there were various boss battles. It was a linear game, not open world.

Dungeons of Daggorath

apps.19031.13510798887575619.40909ff3-3ead-422b-add8-70fb5c2a3eee.jpg.60618b49d6e928fa94f422da615410e9.jpg

One of the first real-time, first-person perspective role-playing video games.

It was on the TRS - 80. You had to record your progress on a cassette tape.

Friend and I played it for hours at a time. It was referenced in the book 'Ready Player One' but was cut from the movie. Great book but kinda crap movie because ,well they cut out a lot of the good cult references like this one.

Edited by bishopshodan

16 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Dig Dug, Wizards and Warriors and Gauntlet gobbled a lot of my teenage $

Gauntlet part 2-  a quarter could last for hours, once you knew a few things. The warrior's lack of diagonal shooting made him the worst character.

The Elf with fast feet was a huge bonus.

Columns, Mappy and Black Tiger were a few of the games where a quarter could last a long, long time- once you got good at them.

I could finish Black Tiger and I never saw a score on Mappy game that I had not bettered.

I do miss the stand up-or sit on a stool aspect of those games; and the joysticks are hard to replicate on home consoles machines.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Gauntlet part 2-  a quarter could last for hours, once you knew a few things. The warrior's lack of diagonal shooting made him the worst character.

The Elf with fast feet was a huge bonus.

Columns, Mappy and Black Tiger were a few of the games where a quarter could last a long, long time- once you got good at them.

I could finish Black Tiger and I never saw a score on Mappy game that I had not bettered.

I do miss the stand up-or sit on a stool aspect of those games; and the joysticks are hard to replicate on home consoles machines.

Man that brings back the memories. All the hidden goodies and the dragon at the end.

https://www.free80sarcade.com/

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The thing I really miss these days are the old pinball machines.  Many were the quarters that I sunk into them during my university years (I didn't appreciate them during high school).  Can't seem to find them around any more.

RIP Pub 340.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The thing I really miss these days are the old pinball machines.  Many were the quarters that I sunk into them during my university years (I didn't appreciate them during high school).  Can't seem to find them around any more.

If anyone goes to ANZA Club, they have a little emulator with about 500 old school games and it's free to play.  

I used to love arcades... Well I still play now on a PS5 but of course games were more exciting when you were a kid and they were a bit of a novelty.  

People today nitpick the smallest details in the modern games and complain about everything. I was just so happy to be playing any game back in the day.  

All the Mario games were amazing, Space Invader, Galaga and there was one game that consumed my childhood and about a thousand quarters... You were a cowboy and could move around the screen, the action would scroll from the bottom to top and you could shoot straight and diagonally. 

Anybody know that game? 

33 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If anyone goes to ANZA Club, they have a little emulator with about 500 old school games and it's free to play.  

I used to love arcades... Well I still play now on a PS5 but of course games were more exciting when you were a kid and they were a bit of a novelty.  

People today nitpick the smallest details in the modern games and complain about everything. I was just so happy to be playing any game back in the day.  

All the Mario games were amazing, Space Invader, Galaga and there was one game that consumed my childhood and about a thousand quarters... You were a cowboy and could move around the screen, the action would scroll from the bottom to top and you could shoot straight and diagonally. 

Anybody know that game? 

There's a lot to be said about the simplicity of games back then.  Playing Tecmo bowl, you only had a handful of plays to choose from.  Now trying to play the latest Madden game, you almost have to be a bloody coach to figure out which plays to run.  

@Blazer8717, you should totally change your thread title to something else. Like, "Totally rad ol' skool video games" or "Totally tubular ol' skool video games" or "Totally totally awesome tubularistic video games" and I mean totally totally.  Yeah! 

I'm just having too much fun today!