The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

Doubt it. I would watch for them though in trying to address their grit by maybe using hanifan as their bait.

huh, interesting. I hope so, just as long as that d gets weaker. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well MT is just slightly over .5 ppg in his playoff career, so not exactly lighting it up either.

I was reading the Panthers board and many of them were over the moon thinking how Tkachuk will change the playoff culture of the team...and im thinking....have you guys seen this guy in the playoffs....very underwhelming lol...

• Vintage 1

I went from pitying Calgary fans to envying them pretty quickly. Don't know how well this will work out in the long term, but in the short term they've managed to turn a bad situation into a salvageable one. They have one of the best Ds in the league now, while we have one of the worst.

Calgary will finish ahead of us.

Just now, Darius said:

I was reading the Panthers board and many of them were over the moon thinking how Tkachuk will change the playoff culture of the team...and im thinking....have you guys seen this guy in the playoffs....very underwhelming lol...

This is one of those trades where both teams LOSE!  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I went from pitying Calgary fans to envying them pretty quickly. Don't know how well this will work out in the long term, but in the short term they've managed to turn a bad situation into a salvageable one. They have one of the best Ds in the league now, while we have one of the worst.

In a stink contest Cowpie will always finish ahead of Vancouver.  

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

huh, interesting. I hope so, just as long as that d gets weaker. 

Huby will make that forward group better too.  I kind of want to see him play with mangiapane.   that could be scary especially if they add a tough net front presence

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Huby will make that forward group better too.  I kind of want to see him play with mangiapane.   that could be scary especially if they add a tough net front presence

better than Jonny? not sure about that. At best we can call this a lateral move without seeing how they look next year. 

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

as a rival fan, its their D that Im envious of too.  Pretty solid throughout all positions, except they still might not have that impact #1 d.  Regarding the other moves...in the grand scheme of things they aged Tkachuk by 5 years by replacing him with Huberdeau, lost 90-100 points in Johnny....and that first rounder might help them like 5 years from now.  

They can probably trade one of their D now to fill holes in the roster.

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If Hub/Weegar walk in a year Tkacphuk essentially just got traded for a very late first, or Lames gonna try to flip these guys since nobody wants to stay in CGY?

Is it fair to say nobody wants to be there when Tanev and Marky signed there as ufas? 

13 minutes ago, Isam said:

Doubt it. I would watch for them though in trying to address their grit by maybe using hanifan as their bait.

I’m guessing they’re talking extension with Weegar right now and if they can’t work it out, they’ll flip him, but if they can, yeah another dman is likely going.

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

He is.  Watch his play again with sam bennett. 

we'll see. Cowtown was down 82 goals per year with Tkatchup and Jonny leaving and now replaced 30 with Hubbiedoo. But they also happened to be great at goals against. They may end up winning as many games but they will be tighter games, I expect a lot of OT. 

Edited by JM_

1 minute ago, EB43 said:

I’m guessing they’re talking extension with Weegar right now and if they can’t work it out, they’ll flip him, but if they can, yeah another dman is likely going.

Weegar was the worst Florida player in the playoffs.  He stunk bad.  So he’s perfect for the Cowpies.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

Garland has limited trade value - would probably return less than Bjorkstrand.   If you attach him to Miller it would probably diminish the return because it will make it harder for the acquiring team to extend Miller in a year when Garland uses up 5M of cap space. 

I guess Garland is debatable - I think he’s got great value.

Thats not my point though - that was simply an illustration to create a proposal where Miller was the centrepiece rather than the only piece.

And my point is that this trade seems to say that Miller’s trade value is still very high.

I could be wrong on that, but Tkachuk is in a whole other echelon than Schneider or Kakko or whatever

12 hours ago, Devron said:

At first I thought Calgary won this trade but…

Huberdeau and Weegar are both UFA’s next.

Yup. Seems they might have put themselves right back into the pressure of resigning the players that just showed up. I think their defense is better with Weegar  but as you point out the FA animal rears it's ugly head again. 

Are the new guys going to embrace Calgary or be pis$ed at Florida trading them out of Florida?

Glad Vancouver isn't biting on something like this for Miller. They have a year to sweeten the pot for these guys to want to stay. 

We'll see.