The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reverse Retro 2.0 Leak?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

You mean the logo that was designed with input from Bill Reid, arguably our most important First Nations artist, and aptly represents Vancouver/the Pacific Northwest and is historically an important symbol in our indigenous communities?

yes ... that's the one

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

And, before that, First Nations were here and hunted, fished and had great respect for and symbolism in the orca. 

I'm talking about the here and now and simply based on how it looks. I fully understand what JC represents.

Also:

https://www.dawsoncreekmirror.ca/local-news/the-dawson-creek-origins-of-johnny-canuck-5189757

if we were a lacrosse team combined with the fact lacrosse is considered our national game and was played in very early days by first nations, a logo representing this would be awesome but ... also cultural misappropriation so we don't go there these days. we have had the spaghetti jersey which looks like saturn to me, we have also had several revamped fish jerseys ... now it looks like we might get a version of the 1st johnny canuck. i don't really get the hate

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

First Nations were all over the Americas, not just in Vancouver and BC. The Canucks' hockey history has nothing to do with First Nations. The Orca was forced upon the Canucks' brand by John McCaw and his Orca Bay lieutenants from Seattle who initially wanted to change the name of the team to "Orcas". Also, many tourists and newcomers to Vancouver plus many of today's kids think a "Canuck" is an orca whale.

We Are All Canucks.

We Are Not All Orcas.

Well I'd argue "what does Canucks hockey have to do with loggers"? Especially in the here and now.  Remember, before the city was "built on" logging and fishing it belonged to the first nations people. And orcas are very significant to them so there's a level of respect for that jersey, even if the original intent missed that mark.

There are orcas in our waters and it seems to fit, more so than a lumberjack in my opinion. And that's all we really have here, differing personal opinions on the matter.

I'm not stuck on the orca but, by the same token, I certainly am not stuck on JC either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Well I'd argue "what does Canucks hockey have to do with loggers"? Especially in the here and now.  Remember, before the city was "built on" logging and fishing it belonged to the first nations people. And orcas are very significant to them so there's a level of respect for that jersey, even if the original intent missed that mark.

There are orcas in our waters and it seems to fit, more so than a lumberjack in my opinion. And that's all we really have here, differing personal opinions on the matter.

I'm not stuck on the orca but, by the same token, I certainly am not stuck on JC either.

Again, ALL of the Americas, North & South America, belonged to First Nations and Aboriginal people. Orcas are found all over the world. The name of the team is "Canucks", not "Orcas". Johnny Canuck was a fearless and hardworking Canadian lumberjack who played hockey in his spare time. That's Canucks hockey. The lumber industry has longstanding roots in BC and it helped build our city of Vancouver. Even Canada's First Nations people were lumberjacks and loggers too. 

So, whenever you do a road trip to watch the Canucks play in the likes of Madison Square Garden, Long Island, Philadelphia, Boston or even in Columbus and fans over there ask you, "What the puck is a Canuck?? Is it a killer whale or some sort of fish??" What would your answer be?? Would you go on about First Nations this and First Nations that? It wouldn't answer their question about our great Canucks name. Whenever I travel to New York and the Eastern U.S. and talk about hockey, I educate them about Johnny Canuck and our Canucks name. I also tell them about the  former Orca Bay ownership from Seattle who actually wanted to change the name of the Canucks to "Orcas". They look at the JC logo I show them, get a much better understanding of the Canucks name and they applaud the logo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Tell me you don't find it super sharp to see the boys in the black skate jersey.

I mean, I think the consensus as I've seen it is that's the one.

But we keep trying different stuff because ? Johnny Canuck just is too much and sometimes less is more. Not sure we really identify with a lumberjack in Vancouver...just doesn't work for me. A matter of personal opinion I guess.

Shoresy?

Bring the lumber.

Johnny Canuck?

Who knows lumber?

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Johnny Canuck logo just looks super childish. 
I really hope we never use this jersey. 
Between this and the orca, we have the worst logos in the league. 

That's just left-over bile from that used to play for Cowtown guy, what's his name?

Don't worry, you will get over it.

The Real Johnny Canucks Rules!

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Tell me you don't find it super sharp to see the boys in the black skate jersey.

I mean, I think the consensus as I've seen it is that's the one.

But we keep trying different stuff because ? Johnny Canuck just is too much and sometimes less is more. Not sure we really identify with a lumberjack in Vancouver...just doesn't work for me. A matter of personal opinion I guess.

I love the skate jerseys so I 100% agree with you there, but I don’t think it’s a matter of not “identifying” with the lumberjack as much as it’s just ugly and very amateur/minor league looking. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The video literally says they knew in advance there would be rumblings about the connection to Orca Bay Sports, but they did it anyways, because that's what corporations do.

Yes, the video says that they were aware that people would make the connection to Orca Bay Sports...  But they went ahead with the concept because they thought it was a strong logo.  If the goal was to create a "corporate logo" from the onset, Brent Lynch wouldn't have resisted using an Orca in the first place.  Nor would there be a handful of concept logos from that process that don't feature a killer whale.

"This was not a one-shot deal, we looked at numerous other looks and logos & ideas and I was involved in that part of it"

- Trevor Linden (one of the most beloved Canucks of all time).

• Upvote 1