The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen found NOT GUILTY!

Rate this topic

HKSR

It’s great he gets a new lease on life and hopefully this is what wakes Jake the F up and mature into an adult and perhaps turn his career around. Happy that those that came up with the name “Jake the Ripper” can now stop and give this man his second chance. Because I believe we all have been given a second chance in life and why shouldn’t Jake be any different? 

I hope that women continue to stand up to predators that conduct harmful experiences and trauma. Jake has been deemed innocent but many others are not. Always speak up when it doesn’t feel right. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sue them for what, having an opinion? unless its slander people are free to believe the accuser if they want to. 

The system did its job, everyone can move on now.

Yeah I'm not sure either. Canucks handled the situation appropriately.

From the odd whispers I've heard Jake doesn't have the greatest reputation. And I think his immaturity was demonstrated in his NHL career. 

Knowing that I tend to think she wasn't lying, but the trial has concluded. For Jake's sake this better be a wake-up call, & hopefully she's able to move forward as best as possible.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I would say (sadly) that the biggest lesson so far from this off-season of sexual assault stories is: if you want to cut down on the probability of being sexually assaulted by hockey players, stay far away from them. 

So, the onus is on the potential victim to avoid those rascally boys who will be boys? How about strict instruction as early as 13-14 years old for all players about sexual activity, consent, the dehumanizing effect of gang-assault and the dehumanizing effect of initiation rituals and hazing having to do with sexual activity? If you want to stop sexual assault, stop the assaulters, and to stop them you have to educate them.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sue them for what, having an opinion? unless its slander people are free to believe the accuser if they want to. 

The system did its job, everyone can move on now.

The system can't really do much with a he said she said case.  Two witnesses - the plaintiff and the defendant.  You can't prove guilt like that.

His reputation was well known here in the Lower Mainland.  He probably did some messed up stuff, but did he definitely do it?  No.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

It's not easy, but many do resist the temptations when that little voice kicks in.

Hey, it's ok to be young and party...even to excess. But let's face it, it likely interfered with what was a promising career. If he'd applied himself more and maybe not shown up for practice completely trashed from the night before who knows how things might've panned out for him?

There are choices to be made in life and sometimes sacrifices as well if you're chasing a dream. It's ok to be young and party....but if it interferes with a promising career it's something to think about, that's all. 

I'm sad things turned out this way because I had high hopes for Jake. But he made choices in life that landed him where he is.

Absolutely and we can only hope this is Jakes watershed moment where he puts his youth ambitions behind him and grows up to be a better man. Just hope everyone can appreciate a redemption story and every deserves a second chance in life. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

I wonder if we went back on the Jake thread how many people taking victory laps now, saying he's a great 3rd liner and will resurrect has career, were bashing him for his play before he was accused of sexual assult... 

I remember getting into it with a guy who didn't want to trade him a few years ago because of the Cam Neely trade.

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Even though the Jury could not convict him "BEYOND ANY DOUBT" of rape of the girl he raped, he'll always be known as Jake  "The Ripper" in my books!   Hope he finds a better path forward in life!

The standard the crown could not meet is "beyond reasonable doubt".

Also there is no longer a crime of rape on the books, it is now called sexual assault.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

He’s well known around Vancouver nightlife, it’s no secret. 

Only people who would know that would be those also in the Vancouver nightlife. Entirely likely the accusers are as terrible as the accused.

• Thanks 1

ew sign him to minimum contract..no worse than kane who has new chance..i think if jake can get  stronger and just be bit more focused it could be a good re signing..what happened is history...most good players have some trouble...nba stars nil stars baseball you have guys with big egos no brain at times but great talent...kevin durant donaldson tiger woods etc...these guys are only human...women sometimes act too much too..so not easy for star players that have limited social time and are just plain horny...

25 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah I'm not sure either. Canucks handled the situation appropriately.

From the odd whispers I've heard Jake doesn't have the greatest reputation. And I think his immaturity was demonstrated in his NHL career. 

Knowing that I tend to think she wasn't lying, but the trial has concluded. For Jake's sake this better be a wake-up call, & hopefully she's able to move forward as best as possible.

thats where I'm at as well. Based on what I read I lean to believing what she said, but I also didn't have the task the jury did. I hope she does remain anonymous because we all know what social media will do to her now. 

24 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The system can't really do much with a he said she said case.  Two witnesses - the plaintiff and the defendant.  You can't prove guilt like that.

His reputation was well known here in the Lower Mainland.  He probably did some messed up stuff, but did he definitely do it?  No.

yeah its not easy. The prosecutor did feel warranted in bringing it forward, but as you say its really hard to prove. He does have a bad reputation but thats also not enough to hang a person. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I remember getting into it with a guy who didn't want to trade him a few years ago because of the Cam Neely trade.

There was a ton of back and forth for logical and illogical reasons for many years around Jake. But as someone who faithful supported him for years on the ice here, I can truthfully say this is the most "support" Jake has had for many, many years here. 

Personally, I find that disgusting.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I thought it was fishy when she went to his game 2 days later. Why would somebody do that to themselves and re-live it?

A coping mechanism for a brain trying to deal with a traumatic experience?  It's called Trauma Bonding and it's s actually not peticularly uncommon for victims to lean in closer to abusers after a traumatic experience to try to rationalize past experiences, peticularly when there is a higher then normal power imbalance. We obviously don't know what happened for sure, but I can tell you that how she handled the situation after wasn't as crazy as it sounds if you have some training and education on how humans handle trauma. 

Edit, what exactly is funny about this @Redline

Edited by Shayster007
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1