The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers exactly.... practicing with Bedard, not by Bedard... or at least that how I read and understand it. :)

Hahah that’s fair. I usually attribute unteachable skills to come from oneself not from others. He probably did learn it from someone at some point. It’s a tangible rather than intangible. Not like character or game IQ. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks are "okay" with their forwards, but sure would be nice to add a couple of big defense. Possibly a quicker transition to the NHL as well. 

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Mikheyev - Miller - Lekkerimaki

McDonough - Raty - Klimovich

(could also include Kuzmenko and Beauvillier)

Hughes - Strbak (#75) - if he's still around in Rd 3?

Simashev (#11) - Hronek

Brisebois - Bear

Rathbone - McWard

Hirose - Johansson

Kudryavtsev - Woo

Pettersson

I’d simplify that list even more.

Kuzmenko/Pettersson/________
Mikheyev/Miller/_______
Hoglander/Raty?/Podkolzin
Joshua/_______/________

Hughes/______
_______/Hronek

Brisebois/Woo

Our needs: top line RW with size and goal scoring ability, 2 top 4 defenseman (two way and shutdown, preferably with size), a 2C to replace Miller.

Our depth: Aman, Bear?, Burroughs?, Juulsen, Rathbone, Studnicka, McDonough, Dries/Di Giuseppe

Our top prospects include: Lekkerimaki, Hirose, Karlsson, and D Petey. They will push for those openings in 2-3 years time. I do think at least 2 of these players will end being solid players for us.

Our prospect depth/wild cards: Johanssen, McWard, Sasson, Klimovich, Kudryavtsev, Lockhart.

Hopefully this draft we get a potential top line forward such as Barlow, Wood, or pray to god Leonard.  

But yeah a lot of work needs to be done. Especially on defense. We also need Podkolzin and Hoglander to make giant leaps in progression.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

If I’m Allvin, I’d look to package a 4th and a 3rd for a 2nd round pick to draft big mobile RHD like Strbak or Bonk and then draft Andrew Gibson with our other 3rd. 

Walking away with one of Barlow, Wood, etc, Strbak/Bonk, and Gibson improves our prospect depth tenfold. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah Dvorsky and Danielson would probably be considered pretty close by most scouts. Fantilli, Dvorsky, Danielson all kind of fit this mould of the big, heavy, physical center. What we used to call "western conference centers". And that's the order I would rank them. All extremely safe picks, but I like Dvorsky's upside better than Danielson's. Danielson and Fantilli are better skaters than Dvorsky, but Dvorsky's off-puck offensive play creation looks as good as anyone in this draft not named Bedard.

I just don't buy it on Sale. I've heard this argument fail spectacularly too many times in recent years. Lucas Raymond, Rodion Amirov, to a lesser extent Brandt Clarke. Even Danila Yurov in a way. The common thread is they were players for whom strength and power were crucial elements of their games at the junior level, but they went pro in their draft years at ~170 for Raymond and Amirov, or ~180 for the defenseman Brandt Clarke, and then you heard all through their draft years how they aren't physically engaged. When in reality it's more a sign of high hockey IQ that they know they obviously can't win physical battles against pro players, so they're trying to find ways to outwit opponents, which often means giving up the immediate possession.

Count me as the lone poster in this thread who would be ecstatic with a scrawny winger at 11 if it's Sale. I have him ranked 7 or 8 (on the fence between him and Leonard). 6'2 and should end up at least 190. He plays a very physical game among his peer group, excellent at using his body to shield pucks, doesn't go around looking for hits but I've seen him lay a number of people out with heavy reverse hits. Good comparisons would be Andre Burakovsky and Matt Boldy. He plays such a translatable game with the skill level and physicality to go with it, I just can't see his floor being lower than those guys once he fills out, and I think there might be a little upside on top of that (although we've yet to see exactly how Boldy ends up).

I'll second on Sale. I don't think I would count him as scrawny at 6'2 170 he will fill out. He's one of the 3 wingers Barlow and Leonard being the others I think would be very complementary to our core. Possibly Wood but we already lack speed in the lineup. 

I would be fairly unimpressed with our mgmt if we took Benson, Cristal, Perrault. That is not to say that they are bad players I think there's a very good chance there is a star player among them. There's just only so much room for those guys in our top 6. Currently can't give away Brock, Beauvellier, Garland. We have Leks cooking it seems like the definition of insanity to draft another fart in a mitten. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'll second on Sale. I don't think I would count him as scrawny at 6'2 170 he will fill out. He's one of the 3 wingers Barlow and Leonard being the others I think would be very complementary to our core. Possibly Wood but we already lack speed in the lineup. 

I would be fairly unimpressed with our mgmt if we took Benson, Cristal, Perrault. That is not to say that they are bad players I think there's a very good chance there is a star player among them. There's just only so much room for those guys in our top 6. Currently can't give away Brock, Beauvellier, Garland. We have Leks cooking it seems like the definition of insanity to draft another fart in a mitten. 

Yeah that seems to be the difference from last year to this year. There just wasn't a lot of players with the kind of size/skill combinations there are this year. Was a weird year that I had 5 or 6 sub 6' forwards in my top 15. This year Bedard and Michkov are kind of special cases, but then there's just Benson I have about 12, Leonard is listed at 6' by some sources. I have Perreault around 16 and Moore about 20, Stenberg shortly after 20. I guess what I'm saying is there's enough quality players with NHL size in the top 15 to bump the skilled smaller players down.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

i still believe that PA, will trade the 11th along with garland and myers after his bonus is paid to chicago for 19th, 2 2nds and a 3rd.

and then a 2nd and boeser for a center or d man, or he could steal bennings comment and say we  tried to do many things but in the end we couldn't do anything.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i still believe that PA, will trade the 11th along with garland and myers after his bonus is paid to chicago for 19th, 2 2nds and a 3rd.

and then a 2nd and boeser for a center or d man, or he could steal bennings comment and say we  tried to do many things but in the end we couldn't do anything.

Myers’ bonus isn’t paid until September 15 though. As much as we would like to see Myers traded it likely isn’t done until the 2024 TDL

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah that seems to be the difference from last year to this year. There just wasn't a lot of players with the kind of size/skill combinations there are this year. Was a weird year that I had 5 or 6 sub 6' forwards in my top 15. This year Bedard and Michkov are kind of special cases, but then there's just Benson I have about 12, Leonard is listed at 6' by some sources. I have Perreault around 16 and Moore about 20, Stenberg shortly after 20. I guess what I'm saying is there's enough quality players with NHL size in the top 15 to bump the skilled smaller players down.

I’ve been reading that Benson projects to be a centre in the National League. Does his potential to play centre mske it more likely he’s picked a bit higher than if he was seen as strictly a winger? 
The more I read about him (only seen a couple games of him actually play) the more I think he’d be a good pick for us. 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’ve been reading that Benson projects to be a centre in the National League. Does his potential to play centre mske it more likely he’s picked a bit higher than if he was seen as strictly a winger? 
The more I read about him (only seen a couple games of him actually play) the more I think he’d be a good pick for us. 

If I was entirely convinced he was a center I'd have him top 10. I'm not quite there. So he's just outside for me. I think of a smaller Mitch Marner. Not gonna be a bad pick but I think there will be players that I would prefer there at 11.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Mikheyev/Miller/_______
Joshua/_______/________

Hughes/______
_______/Hronek

Brisebois/Woo

Our needs: top line RW with size and goal scoring ability, 2 top 4 defenseman (two way and shutdown, preferably with size), a 2C to replace Miller.

Our depth: Aman, Bear?, Burroughs?, Juulsen, Rathbone, Studnicka, McDonough, Dries/Di Giuseppe

Our top prospects include: Lekkerimaki, Hirose, Karlsson, and D Petey. They will push for those openings in 2-3 years time. I do think at least 2 of these players will end being solid players for us.

Our prospect depth/wild cards: Johanssen, McWard, Sasson, Klimovich, Kudryavtsev, Lockhart.

Hopefully this draft we get a potential top line forward such as Barlow, Wood, or pray to god Leonard.  

But yeah a lot of work needs to be done. Especially on defense. We also need Podkolzin and Hoglander to make giant leaps in progression.

Brisebois is not good 

Woo may be a late bloomer but I’m not sold yet 

Elias Petterson the defenceman is projecting as an NHL defenceman, reminds me of Alex Edler but with more of an edge 

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Brisebois is not good 

Woo may be a late bloomer but I’m not sold yet 

Elias Petterson the defenceman is projecting as an NHL defenceman, reminds me of Alex Edler but with more of an edge 

I can see a bottom pairing if Woo - OEL this year and then we buyout OEL summer 2024 and go with Woo - D Petey. 
Hughes, UFA

Hirose, Hronek

D Petey, Woo

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Mikheyev/Miller/_______
Joshua/_______/________

Hughes/______
_______/Hronek

Brisebois/Woo

I'll go out on a limb and say that D-Petey will become a regular for us. And he's exactly what we need on this team. That modern-age shutdown D man. Hopefully he has that 'stalwart' factor, like an Esa Lindell (also a former 3rd round pick).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Man I just wanna take a minute here to preach about Sidney f**king Crosby. The all-time golden boy for a player committed to improving his weaknesses. Comes into the league a 100 point scorer but he was far from perfect. For all that skill, not great on shootouts early in his career. Next season he comes in one of the better shootout shooters in the league. Not great on faceoffs though as a young center. What's that? Next thing you know he's one of the best in the league on faceoffs. Racks up a lot of assists and points but he doesn't score a ton of goals? Wins the Rocket. Elite in all aspects of the offensive game, but not a great defensive center? And by his late 20s he was one of the best defensive centers in the league.

Aside from hockey IQ, that x factor "dedication to the game" is what so often ends up separating the good players from the greats, and unfortunately it's such a hard thing for us to get a read on as fans.

That's why I bang on about work ethic.

Also like I teach my son to never give up, just keep persisting, give 100 percent, believe in yourself 100 percent and you can achieve what ever you set your mind to. 

Drafted a kid in the 4th round- CDCGML- last year Matthew Seminoff, 57 points in 64 games,but what all the scouting reports stated was his work ethic, that  it would probably get him a gig in the NHL. 

Dallas took him at 179, he has already signed his first contract. 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Its not a conundrum at all. Michkov falls to 11 you dont answer your phone and sprint to the stage to say his name. To get a guy who had legendary numbers in the KHL at 11 because he is russian is insanity 

You knock over the kid holding the jersey on the way, don’t look back or even acknowledge it.

• Haha 2

Anybody seen any of Isac Hedqvist, Hugo Lejon, Kalle Carlsson, Emil Berglund? I know Alvin likes his Swedes. I'd be surprised if Unger Sorum Makes it to the 3rd. I feel like we will grab a late round swede or 2. 

Especially interested in Berglund 6'6 192lb LD 17yo June B day. Laced up for 2 games in the allsven this year. Can this kid skate? 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Anybody seen any of Isac Hedqvist, Hugo Lejon, Kalle Carlsson, Emil Berglund? I know Alvin likes his Swedes. I'd be surprised if Unger Sorum Makes it to the 3rd. I feel like we will grab a late round swede or 2. 

Especially interested in Berglund 6'6 192lb LD 17yo June B day. Laced up for 2 games in the allsven this year. Can this kid skate? 

Yes I have  seen a little bit of Kalle Carlsson.

This report that came out today actually compares him to Raty in his draft year. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/kalle-carlsson-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Bottom line high risk medium reward however as the article states, centres that can play a 200 ft 2 way game are valuable. 

Definitely worth a swing in the later rounds if he is there especially if there are no RHD that stand out.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that D-Petey will become a regular for us. And he's exactly what we need on this team. That modern-age shutdown D man. Hopefully he has that 'stalwart' factor, like an Esa Lindell (also a former 3rd round pick).

I’m hoping he turns out to be an Ohlund type.

Hannes Hellberg is someone I hope we draft with our 3rd or 4th round pick. 

For whatever terrible reason, he went undrafted last year. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/448932/hannes-hellberg

He had 57 pts and 34 goals in 43 games in the Swedish junior league (J20). 6’1 C/RW, and plays a heavy game. He’ll be playing in the SHL next season.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1