The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

46 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tom Willander, Nate Danielson & Colby Barlow.

Report is these are 3 guys the Canucks have taken to dinner in Buffalo. Apparently didn't take ASP.

Willander seems to be getting more buzz as the guy for us.

Oof thats 3 pretty safe picks. 

Gimme more of that chaotic boom or bust energy. 

Third Round Draft pick targets:

(Based on Horn's Top 100 for May)

https://thehockeywriters.com/2023-nhl-draft-rankings-horn-may/

Junior Awesome name team member:

Matthew Mania, RHD, Sudbury Wolves, 6'1" 180 lbs, 67 games, 38 points,  42 PIMs, +21

Local Product:

Mazden "Don't call me Miata" Leslie: RHD, 6'0" 193 lbs, Vancouver Giants, 66 games, 50 points, 64 PIM's, -1

Anton Wahlberg, C, 6'3" 194 lbs, Malmo Redhawks. 4 points in 17 games, and 27 Points in 32 games for Malmo Jr. 53 PIM's + 4

(Long term Project) Cam Allen, RHD, 6'0", 194 lbs, Guelph Storm, 62 games, 25 points, 72 PIMs, however -22 (yikes)

Owen Beckner, C, Salmon Arm Silverbacks, 6'2" 175 lbs, 53 games and 50 points, 10 points in 14 games in the playoffs.

(not sure if he's committed to college)

Noel Nordh: LW, 6'2" 196 lbs. Brynas Jr. and Brynas IF, Jr. numbers: 27 points in 32 games, -1,  Swedish League numbers 10 games only 1 goal, -4

All should be available from the 3rd to 4th round range.

I always wait for the dinner tidbit every year. Those three players would each compliment our core extremely well. I have my reservations about there being other guys with more upside, but I like all three players. On one hand, you have a right-handed centre with a projectable frame who has great range in his game, a left-winger who brings physicality and has an elite shot (and leadership intangibles), and a right D who has many projectable attributes (size, skating, physicality, etc.). They're all more on the 'safe' side, but that doesn't make them bad prospects/potential picks. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

Willander and Danielson make alot of sense based on the needs of the Canucks. Not sure they would be my first choices but they are guys that some scouts believe have more to give if put in better situations. Skill set outweighs their production. Not sold on Barlow due to his puck distribution skills, think he is a high floor low ceiling pick. His PK skills would be welcomed but Canucks need a homerun at 11. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Report is these are 3 guys the Canucks have taken to dinner in Buffalo. Apparently didn't take ASP.

The more i look at these picks, the more im convinced that IF these are the targets, the Canucks are trading down

2 of these 3 will be available at spot #19, these are not the kind of picks you make at #11

Would be ok with the trade down to spot #19 if it nets us an additional 2nd and we can unload a contract

• Cheers 1

Hi all!

First post here and excited for the draft and what should be an interesting off season across the league! I went to this site https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/    

Others have posted their drafts here from that site too, and created my draft.  Alot of the players I liked were gone at 11, so I traded own only 2 spots to Buffalo to gather more picks.

The sim creates "value per pick" that has to match on each side so you can't say trade 11 and a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders for first overall. Its actually quite neat, worth trying. Given the uncertainty in this draft after the top 3 I selected high randomness (about 75% of the way to the top of the scale, perhaps a bit aggressive but so be it, I do think this draft could be all over the place given the differences in scouting lists I've seen).

Anyways, here was my trade. We move down 2 spots to get a high second, then move down on other picks later.

We have a trade to announce!

Vancouver trades picks 11. 75, 89, and 119, 171 to Buffalo

For picks

13, 45, 109 On the board when I chose at 13 was Dvorksy, Reinbacher, Ritchie, Stenberg, Willander

If the Canucks could make a trade like that and come up with the players below, it would be a HUGE win. The players I selected, all can skate, have size (and use it) and fill the holes in our prospect pool.

13. Dvorsky (our potential 2c, with he and Raty coming, future at C looks pretty good, both with size and hands). I didn't take Reinbacher because he's overrated in my view, and I was tempted for Willander but felt Dvorsky has too much upside to pass on. And given we have a second now, grabbing a physical RD would be possible.

45. Strback (get a big physical RD) - 6'2 205. Two way Dman, fearless shot blocker, smooth skater, excellent hockey iq.

105. Brady Cleveland - 6'5" 211. Big, physical LD. Said to be tough as nails, a solid skater and always looking to punish players.

107, Tomas Suchanek - 6'2 Czech goalie, WJC goalie for Czechia. 20 years old but has the tools and size for Clark to work with

109. Samuel Barcik - 6'2 RD, Big defense first dman

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I didn't mention size.  he's actually grown considerably since the beginning of the season judging by the combine.

It's the other things about his play that give me pause.  his defensive play in jr is great, but he does a ton of things on a nightly basis that would get him pushed off or buried by an NHL pro.  His offense is great, but again; those nifty moves would get him Holmqvisted against the boards 9 out of 10 times.

There's something about him (to a lesser extent sale) that give me a wait a moment feeling

But if he was bigger and he did those moves you’d see him being more likely to be successful. So I still read your opinion / view of Benson like it’s a size issue? 

i get the feeling though. As I’m nervous about him too. If he’s on the board at 11 I’m not confident he’s the BPA for us or in general too. So I guess I have a wait a moment feeling around him too but I do really like him. If he struggles in the NHL it’s going to change the way I look at prospects.

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

The more i look at these picks, the more im convinced that IF these are the targets, the Canucks are trading down

2 of these 3 will be available at spot #19, these are not the kind of picks you make at #11

Would be ok with the trade down to spot #19 if it nets us an additional 2nd and we can unload a contract

How do you know? Quite possibly non of those players will be there at 19. Then what?

Everyone had their own lists. If those are the players they ranked in their range (unless someone ranked higher on their list falls) then that’s who they will choose. It’s really as simple as that. 

• Cheers 3

I'd be thrilled with a RHD out of this 1st round:

The hype was all around Reinbacher, but then ASP made his case as well.  Now sounds like Willander is making waves too.  I don't think we can go wrong with any of these 3.  The likelihood is 1 of them will be available at #11.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Thanks for the recap 

10 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Willander is moving up hard, particularly after his interviews. The kid sounds like a 25 year old NHL player in his professionalism, maturity and mentality, and he has all the tools. It would not surprise me one bit if he goes ahead of either ASP or Reinbacher. I don't see Danielson falling that far either given his toolbox and the fact he's a center with size. If the Canucks want to move down, their best bet is to trade down a couple of spots with say Buffalo to gather more picks (hoping Buf really wants a player at 11 who may go right after).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Willander is moving up hard, particularly after his interviews. The kid sounds like a 25 year old NHL player in his professionalism, maturity and mentality, and he has all the tools. It would not surprise me one bit if he goes ahead of either ASP or Reinbacher. I don't see Danielson falling that far either given his toolbox and the fact he's a center with size. If the Canucks want to move down, their best bet is to trade down a couple of spots with say Buffalo to gather more picks (hoping Buf really wants a player at 11 who may go right after).

But then Barlow could easily go to Arizona at 12. If these are the three guys they like, they may as well make their pick at 11.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1