The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Watch bensons plays.  

What makes him successful in JR is what will cause him those issues in the majors.

He will not have that time to make those plays or that space along the board.  The reaction time of pro defenders is far greater than JR, there is no split second disconnect.  He'd get Kronwalled or have the puck stripped by a smart forward and active stick.

I am not saying he will necessarily bust, I am suggesting he is top 6 or bust and I feel greatly as though he'd be the wrong pick for our club.

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

Benson is the best or 2nd best defensive forward in the first round of the draft.

he has High level IQ, and High level playmaking.

the best forwards for playmaking or just in passing ability he’s in the top echelon here and could be argued he’s the best puck distributor.

so IQ and passing and defensive play are his biggest strengths.

not to mention he does do everything else very well.

sure he has some plays where he dangles in ways that will be harder at the NHL. But so does every forward in the CHL. Including Bedard and even michkov for that matter. And the best players make defenders looks stupid, they Crete more time and space for themselves and as they develop they learn what works and what they can do at each level they advance too.

I think benson has a higher floor than you are giving him credit for. If his offence doesn’t translate he has:

- the motor / competitive drive

- the IQ

- the defensive game 

where he could be a bottom 6, pker.

he just doesn’t have the size / power to make him the prototypical style of bottom 6 forward that is more often viewed as an effective bottom 6er. There are special players sub 6 in this league and Benson could be one of them.

I do have my seeds of doubt on benson hitting his ceiling or near as I wish he was an elite skater or a little bigger.

but he really does have everything else and some elite differentiating traits that some scouting services don’t recognize as elite but some do and that’s why there’s such disparity in his rankings from 5-17.

IF he’s available, and IF we draft him I will be excited because he does have a huge ceiling with a decent B game. Do I think he’s what we need most no, but if he hits, his projected fit is irrelevant.

and I do see him fitting on JT millers wing as a duo I could really visualize this being a perfect fit. Especially if Miller needs help with his C duties at times post face off in a Couple years. As benson usually covers the C ice responsibilities down low and I just could see their offensive styles meshing really well together. 

I agree with everything R3al & @Seannnp have said. Not much I can add. He's got such a high IQ at both ends that he could be a good 3rd liner ala a peak Paul Byron type in the worst case. But I don't see that, he might be the smartest player in the draft, he's going to make plays offensively.

And Id add with his skating, his first few steps are actually pretty good & given the NHL is such a small area game I think he'll be fine, especially as he gains strength. 

@R3aL I agree completely I could see him as a great fit with JT, but really he's the kind of player that makes any line he's on better. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

I don’t see a scenario where we aren’t taking one of the big 4 Dmen in this draft. Willander seems to be the logical choice and there is reported interest.

Simishev being a Milstein client is 100% in the fold and I wouldn’t be surprised if they have spoken to the big Russian.

Reinbacher is the pipe dream least likely outcome of being there.
ASP is at a high value position and has tons of talent. 

I see Dvorsky being the only player available to throw a wrench in things if still on the board. 

• Cheers 1

With Allvin moving fast to want to contend now, I wonder if NHL-readiness plays a factor? Obviously with the OEL buyout a defenceman should be non negotiable unless a real stud is available (Dvorsky, Leonard, Benson) and even then it's 50-50.

Of these players, Benson is pretty far off. Willander is committed to the NCAA but he looked very good, but may take a bit longer than say Reinbacher or ASP who are already playing against men. I know you don't want to rush defencemen but either of those 2 could maybe jump straight into the league in a couple of years as 19-20 year olds. Don't see many go straight into the NHL but I wonder if ASP will given his skating ability. I think in terms of NHL-readiness it probably goes ASP > Reinbacher > Willander.

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I don’t see a scenario where we aren’t taking one of the big 4 Dmen in this draft. Willander seems to be the logical choice and there is reported interest.

Simishev being a Milstein client is 100% in the fold and I wouldn’t be surprised if they have spoken to the big Russian.

I see Dvorsky being the only player available to throw a wrench in things if still on the board. 

Ideally, Simashev would be the better pick IMO, but I’d be fine with Willander.

But yeah unless Leonard or Benson are available at 11 (Dvorsky definitely won’t be), we are poised to take a defenseman. We’re going to need this defenseman in Year 3 and 4 of the OEL buyout to play on an ELC.

Any one of Reinbacher, Willander, or Simashev will be a welcome addition to the blue line. 

Im hoping D Pettersson can become a regular for us in a year or so. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

But yeah unless Leonard or Benson are available at 11 (Dvorsky definitely won’t be), we are poised to take a defenseman. We’re going to need this defenseman in Year 3 and 4 of the OEL buyout to play on an ELC.

Any one of Reinbacher, Willander, or Simashev will be a welcome addition to the blue line. 

I really like Simashev but I'm not totally sold on him being better than Willander. Simashev's shot makes Quinn's shot look like an Al MacInnis slapper.

Hes a very good defender, he's bigger than Willander & will lean on guys but he's not as aggressive/physical. Offensively he carries the puck more than Willander but he's not a threat from the point at all & he won't have the time+space to carry the puck in the NHL that he does in the MHL. He'll play like he did in the KHL which is a solid defensive game, very good stick, & skating it the odd time but moving the puck forward most of the time.

On Dvorsky, I like alot about his game but I am concerned about his offensive upside. He's got such a great shot but seems to get tunnel vision looking for a shooting lane leading to him holding onto the puck too long. He's great on the PP, great on faceoffs, and is a very good defensive center. In the NHL he won't have time to hang onto the puck trying to shoot like he does now, so he'll either adapt & pass it off adequately enough to be a 2C, or be a very valuable 3C. Thats my analysis, but I completely expect him to be gone before us anyways. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With Allvin moving fast to want to contend now, I wonder if NHL-readiness plays a factor? Obviously with the OEL buyout a defenceman should be non negotiable unless a real stud is available (Dvorsky, Leonard, Benson) and even then it's 50-50.

Of these players, Benson is pretty far off. Willander is committed to the NCAA but he looked very good, but may take a bit longer than say Reinbacher or ASP who are already playing against men. I know you don't want to rush defencemen but either of those 2 could maybe jump straight into the league in a couple of years as 19-20 year olds. Don't see many go straight into the NHL but I wonder if ASP will given his skating ability. I think in terms of NHL-readiness it probably goes ASP > Reinbacher > Willander.

Really? I think Reinbacher is the most NHL ready, if anything I would have it Reinbacher >> Willander > ASP. 

Reinbacher could probably get by as a 5/6 next year fine, and I'd bet hes playing the year after. The other 2 I'm not sold on being here that fast. Willander might be in a year given he's got great details / aggressiveness already, but he's still growing. I think ASP needs more time to maintain his confidence while developing strength & his overall 2-way game. 

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

The timing of an elc D man (who is top four quality) should nicely coincide with the two 4.8 cap hit years from the OEL buyout. Brilliant planning by our management. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With this in mind the most nhl ready prospect in our draft range imo:

1. Reinbacher

2. Simashev (once KHL contract is done plug n play)

3. Danielson

4. Barlow

5. Willander

2-3 years easy to project all of them in the NHL

whereas others are 2-4/5 years I think. 

and I think Willander will be in the NHL before ASP depending on team that drafts him. But he’s going to get climatized to North American ice fast and could be 1-2 ncaa years and ready for ahl/nhl

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, R3aL said:

1. Reinbacher

3. Danielson

4. Barlow

5. Willander

and I think Willander will be in the NHL before ASP depending on team that drafts him. But he’s going to get climatized to North American ice fast and could be 1-2 ncaa years and ready for ahl/nhl

The ice issue isn't as big of a deal as in the past. Most top end prospects have trained on both at a early age.

42 minutes ago, R3aL said:

1. Reinbacher

3. Danielson

4. Barlow

5. Willander

Barlow likely to be the first... with Simashev if his contract allows it. 
Hope we go down that route, so we can fill the tram ASAP with ELCs that can support the tram, while OEL $4.7M is vanishing. 

Lets Marvyn Gaye it, lets get on...

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, Isam said:

The ice issue isn't as big of a deal as in the past. Most top end prospects have trained on both at a early age.

Well I just think Willander will make the jump before ASP unless rushed. 

ASP hasn’t looked that great in the SHL and his defending is no where near NHL ready/acceptable. IMO.

Willander has a more polished game at this point and he’s going to have a better development path than ASP has imo.

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1

I'm terrified of this buyout and what it means for the 11th overall pick. 

I hope we make the pick but would anyone be shocked if we trade it away for a big contract coming back this way? 

Just now, R3aL said:

Well I just think Willander will make the jump before ASP unless rushed. 

ASP hasn’t looked that great in the SHL and his defending is no where near NHL ready/acceptable. IMO.

Willander has a more polished game at this point and he’s going to have a better development than wth than ASP imo.

Do you know of any contractual issue that could keep Simashev in Russia?

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Barlow likely to be the first... with Simashev if his contract allows it. 
Hope we go down that route, so we can fill the tram ASAP with ELCs that can support the tram, while OEL $4.7M is vanishing. 

Lets Marvyn Gaye it, lets get on...

We are lucky that most of the prospects in our draft range oook to have quick paths to the NHL. Even Wood and Benson could be making the jump in 2-3 years too.

outside of those guy I don’t know Moore, Yager ASP need more time.

Actually Honzek could be a quicker timeline too and Musty.

this first round has quite a number of players that could be in the NHL pretty quick.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Do you know of any contractual issue that could keep Simashev in Russia?

No from my understanding is it’s 2 years. Then he’s free. 

and Millstein is his agent which I didn’t know till yesterday.

so if any team had a good understanding of his situation it would be us.

i mean I’ve watched a bunch of videos on him now.. the way he’s played in the KHL is pretty insane for his age. And the way he skates, moves the puck, protects the puck against men at his age is pretty unreal. 

His points are kind of shocking when you watch his highlights. And i haven’t watched full games but maybe he’d have some secondary assists if they tracked them you know. But he looks very projectable

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I hope we make the pick but would anyone be shocked if we trade it away for a big contract coming back this way? 

Benning is no longer our GM. That’s the kind of stupid move he would make. Allvin will use 11OA to get us a great prospect, who is likely a D. And in a couple years that guy will be in our top six D group on his elc during the two 4.8 mil cap years from the OEL buyout. This is all planned out. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Those two years at almost $5 is really rough. Hate the buyout too, but it's OEL's fault for not preparing himself properly and being his best. Lazy.

Scary thought trading away the #11, but I guess it could happen? If they feel they could get a youngish RD partner for Hughes they might feel that's more valuable that a prospect that may or may not make the NHL one day.