The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I look forward to @Isam's take on Minnetian. Just to say though, I have 20+ views on Minnetian and I will say that write-up on him is pretty good. He's so much fun to watch when they let him run, but he's also such a perfect example of what's great about the NTDP - it's always a development program first. He's flown so far under the radar all year because he's not putting up a ton of points, but he and the coaching staff have been working very deliberately at developing the defensive side of his game. But then at the international level (these are the games that are most meaningful to this program), they let him loose and he put on an absolute show. Reminded me a little of Josh Morrisey in his draft year actually.

Again, as a converted forward, it's no surprise his biggest strength is an area not so specific to defensemen - carrying the puck through the neutral zone, but as the write-up mentions, he's gotten a lot better at using his teammates in transition, something that in my opinion Sandin-Pellikka still needs to work on. His biggest areas of weakness are the areas most specific to defensemen - primarily backwards skating, he's pretty fluid once he gets going, but changing directions he can get a little twisted up and often lose his balance. He's good in the defensive zone but tends to rely too much on being aggressive, it works a lot of the time but when it doesn't it's not good; needs to learn to control his gap just a little bit better. Also in the offensive zone he's pretty good walking the line, but his ability to be deceptive in his starts and stops and stutter steps is less than elite. It's actually Zeev Buium who more often mans the top powerplay unit as the lone defenseman.

That scouting report is pretty much dead on . 

• Cheers 1

I'm going to go ahead and say it...

If we end up drafting around the 7 hole, I would not be upset if we used that pick to take either Reinbacher or Pelikka. If the Isles pick ends up being for this year, we can use that pick to take a falling forward like Yaeger, etc. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

If we end up drafting around the 7 hole, I would not be upset if we used that pick to take either Reinbacher or Pelikka. If the Isles pick ends up being for this year, we can use that pick to take a falling forward like Yaeger, etc. 

I agree that sometimes you need to go for it when it comes to drafting positionally but if the Isles pick stays in the 12-16 range one of these guys will still probably be there.

I'd consider this over drafting another winger if a top ten center isn't available but would prefer the focus be on a centerman with that top pick.

• Cheers 1

On 2/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Anyone seen much of Oscar Fisker Molgaard? 6 points in 31 SHL games an he's not yet 18. 6'0 forward coming out of Denmark and has only been playing in Sweden for two years now so he's going to be a little raw; but he's rapidly adapted to each new level, quickly dominating the U18 ranks at 16 and after a slow start at the U20 level, by this year at 17 he was a p/g plus player and is already a regular in the SHL, playing 10-15 minutes a night. Danish junior league to SHL in two years is an immense jump. From the very little I've seen of him he seems to have a real nose for the net. Seems like a guy who could sneakily climb his way up the rankings and well into the first round.

@Isam  @R3aL @Bure_Pavel Anyone?

I have not, seems like a very under the radar guy. His numbers in SHL are pretty impressive tho, to even get 30 games in that league at that age is an accomplishment. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I agree that sometimes you need to go for it when it comes to drafting positionally but if the Isles pick stays in the 12-16 range one of these guys will still probably be there.

I'd consider this over drafting another winger if a top ten center isn't available but would prefer the focus be on a centerman with that top pick.

Right - we should get the absolute BPA with the 4th-7th pick and then pick up an RHD with the later one.

It looks to me like Reinbacher should be who we aim for, right?

The other RHD guys seem like they are rated high solely on their offensive abilities.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well, I had a little time just now and found myself on the Draft Simulator site and thought, why not give it a whirle. I think the Canucks should let me go to the Draft Lotto because my first 2 clicks put us at the number 1 spot.  I didn't dare try a third click and just quietly changed sites not wanting to jinks anything.  I have had good fortune in the past and so I am feeling confident (Ha, Ha).  You think they would give me a shot???  I will wait and see if I get a call from Aquaman. #Bedard or Bust. B)

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

Right - we should get the absolute BPA with the 4th-7th pick and then pick up an RHD with the later one.

It looks to me like Reinbacher should be who we aim for, right?

The other RHD guys seem like they are rated high solely on their offensive abilities.

A mobile minute munching RHD to compliment Hughes would be my preference. Mind you, anyone drafted this year would likely be a few years off from being the perfect partner for Quinn so maybe just take the best aailable.

23 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Interesting way to put it.

My dream draft............

3rd OA.................Carlsson

14 OA..................Reinbecker

26 OA..................Augstine....................hoping to get an extra late 1st from Boeser

2nd......................Bonk

If we walk away with that, we fill the cupboards

I'll play. Just going by the current projected draft order.

7th ................................................. Dalibor Dvorsky C 6'1 - I'm assuming the big 5 (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith) are gone, but hopeful Dvorsky falls to 7. Franchise center upside, and a safe bet to be at least a 2nd line center.

13th ............................................... Ryan Leonard C/RW 6'0 - BPA all day. Will be a coach and fan favorite. Maybe not the biggest upside, but this is the type of player teams win with. Can play center or wing up and down a lineup, PP, PK. He brings it all every shift and has the skill to back it up.

26th (Demko to Toronto I guess) ... Aram Minnetian RD 6'0 - I think he actually goes earlier than this, but it's my dream draft, so I'll go by the current rankings and say we get the steal of the draft.

39th ................................................ Felix Nilsson C/LW 6'0  - High hockey IQ, tenacious, skilled two-way forward.

71st ................................................ Beckett Hendrickson LW 6'1 - Grinder with some skill. At his best down low making plays out of the corners.

103rd .............................................. Axel Landen RD 6'1 - One of the most under-rated D in the draft. Defends well, blocks shots, throws some huge hits, and even carries the puck up ice pretty effectively.

Dvorsky and Leonard are such pro-translatable players and should be NHL-ready sooner than later. After that we address a positional need on the right side defense and get some guys up front who have some upside and play the game the way we want to play it.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

i have a feeling ASP will be very high on our scouts lists. He could even be ranked 7. 

So that could be a reality.

But I’m really hoping we get a top 6 pick and secure a star forward, hopefully a C.

although michkov would certainly be interesting. 

imagine coming out this draft with:

1 of Bedard/Fantili/Carlsson

and 

1 of ASP/Reinbacher/Dragicevac

Think we would all be on cloud 9.

• Cheers 3

On 2/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Anyone seen much of Oscar Fisker Molgaard? 6 points in 31 SHL games an he's not yet 18. 6'0 forward coming out of Denmark and has only been playing in Sweden for two years now so he's going to be a little raw; but he's rapidly adapted to each new level, quickly dominating the U18 ranks at 16 and after a slow start at the U20 level, by this year at 17 he was a p/g plus player and is already a regular in the SHL, playing 10-15 minutes a night. Danish junior league to SHL in two years is an immense jump. From the very little I've seen of him he seems to have a real nose for the net. Seems like a guy who could sneakily climb his way up the rankings and well into the first round.

@Isam  @R3aL @Bure_Pavel Anyone?

I will be looking at him now! Sneaky indeed

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m really curious where the Russian dman will go Simashev. As some scouts seem to be super high on Him and his potential projection. 

He has the potential to hijack the top ten and would love to get him with the isles pick cuz I really do think he is the best dman in this draft.

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m really curious where the Russian dman will go Simashev. As some scouts seem to be super high on Him and his potential projection. 

He's an interesting prospect - I've seen him ranked as high as #12 overall through to middle of the second round.  Seems a bit risky when there's no consensus (or even a ballpark general agreement) of where he should be ranked.  At this stage of our organization's development, I'm not sure we can afford to be making 'risky' picks.  Then again, if he developed into a top 2 d-man........

Round one pick 7-dvorsky for now but has alot the potential to change alot. Big old hoss forward.

Round one pick 13- Oliver Moore. He is not talked about enough. Unbeliveble skater that can process the game at high speeds. If he hits at the 18s and destroys the combine, he might go top five. Keep in mind, if he isn't there then I would go simashev.

Round two- Aram minnetian. 

27 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Dmitri Simashev Profile

Dmitri Simashev

Ht/Wt: 6' 4"/198 lbs
Position: LHD
Team: Yaroslavl (RUS)

Dmitri Simashev's Player Profile

Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Dec. 19th: "Simashev possesses the size and mobility that NHL teams salivate for on the back end while playing a responsible defensive game, leading with his stick while still understanding how to effectively use his frame without taking himself out of the play."

Gray Matter - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "A mobile, smooth-skating defenceman, Simashev is among the best defenders in this class; he shuts down plays before they start; he reads and anticipates play very well, he’ll step up in the neutral zone with perfect timing to prevent entries without taking himself out of the play."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He’s a toolsy defenseman as a 6-foot-4 blueliner who skates well for his size. He’s not dynamic offensively, but he has good puck skills, can make a strong outlet pass and makes some plays from the offensive blue line."

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He's an interesting prospect - I've seen him ranked as high as #12 overall through to middle of the second round.  Seems a bit risky when there's no consensus (or even a ballpark general agreement) of where he should be ranked.  At this stage of our organization's development, I'm not sure we can afford to be making 'risky' picks.  Then again, if he developed into a top 2 d-man........

I don’t see him as any more risky than taking a small Swedish defender like Sandin-Pelikka.

Everyone tries to get the next Karlsson with those picks and it never happens. More often than not you get a Liljegren or a Branstrom.

Id take the Russian. 

17 hours ago, spook007 said:

hmmmm.....

Last time we did a similar stunt was OJ v Tkachuk...

it definitely depends which C is avaiable. 

But then the other argument is that, like last year when we took Lekkerimaki (the brass' BPA), we should have gone with a D man like Bichsel.

Can't please everyone I suppose.