The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I am ok with what you are saying, and only reacting to a ranking, where Reinbacher had moved up into the top 10, but i saying that, the final rankings are not complete, major scouting services have not completed their final rankings and won't until much later in the year.

I am reminder of McTavish and Seider who both were ranked further down the list until the final rankings, only to go much higher, in their final rankings. I am pretty sure this happens every year, so I caution everyone not to be too surprised when they change. (I remind myself too!)

Far too often we get focussed on a player too early in the process. 

PS.........funny in both Mctavish and Seider, I started liking them before they moved up, and wanted Vancouver to take them, only to see them move past where our pick was, and we missed out. I get the same vibe off of Reinbacher.

Yaaa ive just only seen Reinbacher play a few games too like dvorsky so it’s tough for me to know for sure.

and 100% we will see some movement especially with the dmen in the rankings from now till draft day 

ya seider was a big one thought he’d been available around our pick range for sure Detroit surprised me. Hughes-Seider would have been glorious 

• Like 1

I am ok with what you are saying, and only reacting to a ranking, where Reinbacher had moved up into the top 10, but i saying that, the final rankings are not complete, major scouting services have not completed their final rankings and won't until much later in the year.

I am reminder of McTavish and Seider who both were ranked further down the list until the final rankings, only to go much higher, in their final rankings. I am pretty sure this happens every year, so I caution everyone not to be too surprised when they change. (I remind myself too!)

Far too often we get focussed on a player too early in the process. 

PS.........funny in both Mctavish and Seider, I started liking them before they moved up, and wanted Vancouver to take them, only to see them move past where our pick was, and we missed out. I get the same vibe off of Reinbacher.

I was in the exact same boat with you as McTavish and Seider. I remember some people busting my chops on here because I wanted us to target McTavish when he was still ranked much lower than our pick. 

I definitely think Reinbacher will be this year’s Seider in the draft, and hopefully in his career arch too. I would love it if he managed to fall to our islanders pick. If we’re picking top six, I might even be tempted to take him over Benson, but not the rest of the players in that top bracket. 

I’m so excited for this draft!

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Wow, we're really bad lol

And just after a day, Columbus now has 16 points (pt% .364), putting them on a pace for 48 points on the year... It'll be a dogfight in the battle of the bottomfeeders.

We play Chicago twice, Anaheim 3 times, San Jose once, Philly tomorrow and St. Louis twice. As long as we give up points in these games, primarily the first 3 teams, we could really pull ahead of these teams. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Yaaa ive just only seen Reinbacher play a few games too like dvorsky so it’s tough for me to know for sure.

and 100% we will see some movement especially with the dmen in the rankings from now till draft day 

ya seider was a big one thought he’d been available around our pick range for sure Detroit surprised me. Hughes-Seider would have been glorious 

I always feel like a kid in a candy shop around draft time............."I want them all" lol

To me.......it does not matter in what order...........only want to pick center and RHD..maybe a goalie in the second, "IF"  we have a extra 2nd, and "IF" it's not a reach.

The order does not matter to me, as long as we walk away with a good crop.....

Could you imagine getting..........

Bedard with our 1st..................................................best center

Reinbacher with the Islander ist...............................best RHD

and Hrabal with our 2nd...........................................best goalie

and Willander with our 3rd.......................................damn good prospect RHD

And then I wake up! (Now that is a dream!)

• Vintage 2

OK @J.I.A.H.N @Wolfgang Durst

Lets do it Reinbacher at 5 count me in. I don't think this will be an Olli Juolevi situation. The guys there Benson Smith aren't Tkachuk's their good players maybe elite players is a Mitch Marner what we need?? Lets do it. 

5oa Rein RHD

14oa Ritchie/Danielson shut down C

37oa Starbuck Shut down RHD

Dude Nice'th oa  Juraj Pekarcik PWF

4th Carter Sotheran Mammoth RHD

4th Goalie Ian Clark do your thing

6th Oskar Asplund Overager LHD tearing up the allsven.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, R3aL said:

He’s a player I want a intrigued with last summer going into the year. But I just haven’t seen him play much. He’s the kinda guy if we do draft him I give full trust to our team in that he’s the BPA.

from what you are saying about him he sounds like a good fit. How’s his skating relative to peers do you think?

His skating is good, but not great. It's probably his least elite attribute. Straight line speed is actually really good, but lacks some explosiveness, and he's maybe not the smoothest or shiftiest. I've made a lot of the comparison to Holtz, but one of my favorite things about Holtz was his 360 degree acceleration and the way he could so explosively dart into openings from anywhere in the slot. Dvorsky doesn't quite have that same ability, although he makes up for some of that with a much more hard-nosed net-front presence than Holtz. The other area it hurts him is in his one on one offense (and defense) - he has the stick skills to beat guys, but doesn't really have the shiftiness or deceptiveness in his skating to match.

I really do think he'd be a great fit for the Canucks though, slotted behind Pettersson. My expectations for him in his prime is he could probably be a number one center for a lot of teams, particularly if he had an elite playmaking winger, but he might be best suited as an elite 2C. He will be a lethal weapon on the powerplay, will be able to kill penalties, match up against other teams' top players and play them hard and physical. I think a decent comparison could be made to Tomas Hertl.

• Cheers 1

I always feel like a kid in a candy shop around draft time............."I want them all" lol

To me.......it does not matter in what order...........only want to pick center and RHD..maybe a goalie in the second, "IF"  we have a extra 2nd, and "IF" it's not a reach.

Bedard with our 1st..................................................best center

and Willander with our 3rd.......................................damn good prospect RHD

A slightly more realistic dream might be Smith, Reinbacher, Bonk/Strbak, Jordan Tourigny, Beau Akey, Kalem Parker.

Let's go!

Like you I want all the prospects lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

A slightly more realistic dream might be Smith, Reinbacher, Bonk/Strbak, Jordan Tourigny, Beau Akey, Kalem Parker.

Let's go!

Like you I want all the prospects lol

Let's not forget about a couple of what seeems like quality NCAA UFA in Particular Jake Livinston. but there are other.The NCAA Championships end April 9th I believe. This may welleffect our  draft priorities

Now that Demko could be sidelined for much longer, the tank is on and I can start to get excited about a possible Top 5 pick. I thought Demko would come back better than ever and the Canucks would go on a winning streak, but it's not to be. Unfortunate for Demko, but I'm hoping they shut him down.

Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson would be a huge boost to the team, but even if they don't win a lottery spot, finishing 4, 5 or 6 would be fantastic.

Michkov

Smith

Benson

(e.g.) Podkolzin - Pettersson - Michkov could be a heck of a line one day

Then, for the next 3-4 picks, I'd like them to take Ds

• Tanks a lot 1

6 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I dont think there's a world where willander makes it to the 3rd round. But you never know.

Ya I know like I really want the entire top 6... I also wants ASP, Dragicevac and Reinbacher...

Oh ya And Moorre and Barlow...

Oh ya and But, and and and haha 

Why we need MORE PICKS! MORE!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Now that Demko could be sidelined for much longer, the tank is on and I can start to get excited about a possible Top 5 pick. I thought Demko would come back better than ever and the Canucks would go on a winning streak, but it's not to be. Unfortunate for Demko, but I'm hoping they shut him down.

Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson would be a huge boost to the team, but even if they don't win a lottery spot, finishing 4, 5 or 6 would be fantastic.

Michkov

Smith

Benson

(e.g.) Podkolzin - Pettersson - Michkov could be a heck of a line one day

Then, for the next 3-4 picks, I'd like them to take Ds

Yes exactly. I think we still woulda lost a lot with Demko. But 3-4 really isa possibility. But our schedule is very easy and teams could take us lightly.

Getting one of those C would really help us so much Bedard/Fantili/Carlsson

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

His skating is good, but not great. It's probably his least elite attribute. Straight line speed is actually really good, but lacks some explosiveness, and he's maybe not the smoothest or shiftiest. I've made a lot of the comparison to Holtz, but one of my favorite things about Holtz was his 360 degree acceleration and the way he could so explosively dart into openings from anywhere in the slot. Dvorsky doesn't quite have that same ability, although he makes up for some of that with a much more hard-nosed net-front presence than Holtz. The other area it hurts him is in his one on one offense (and defense) - he has the stick skills to beat guys, but doesn't really have the shiftiness or deceptiveness in his skating to match.

I really do think he'd be a great fit for the Canucks though, slotted behind Pettersson. My expectations for him in his prime is he could probably be a number one center for a lot of teams, particularly if he had an elite playmaking winger, but he might be best suited as an elite 2C. He will be a lethal weapon on the powerplay, will be able to kill penalties, match up against other teams' top players and play them hard and physical. I think a decent comparison could be made to Tomas Hertl.

Well I tell you this I will keep an incredibly open mind with him.

And I like your view of him a lot.

Petey/Dvorsky/Raty would be an interesting C mix.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Lets do it Reinbacher at 5 count me in. I don't think this will be an Olli Juolevi situation. The guys there Benson Smith aren't Tkachuk's their good players maybe elite players is a Mitch Marner what we need?? Lets do it. 

5oa Rein RHD

This would be an interesting draft.

Not big on Star Lord Starbk. Haven't seen him play aa lot but when I have hes looked super slow to me. Maybe I saw a bad game though.

That first round result wouldn't be sexy or flashy but if Reinbacher was a Trouba/Dobson cross with close to Seider timeline and impact that would justify a pick over Smith/Benson/Moore but might be tough for a large portion of the fanbase to accept in the moment.

Nate also not a sexy pick. But I really like him a lot. If we took him at 14 I wouldn't be upset at all. I like everything about his game and think it will translate. Seems like a character kid.

Hitting on both of these picks a middle 6 RHC and a top 4 RHD tithe both bring intangibles our team needs, and really any winning team needs.

It would be a result that would take some patience but could pay off big.

Also would be stoked if we grabbed Asplund that late.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

5oa Rein RHD

Really hammer, Reinbacher at 5 ?

I posted some video of him a week or 2 ago and I do like his game however I think the centres that will be available will better additions to our team with that pick. 

I hear the talk about rankings will change in the lead up to the draft, however the fundamentals of these young kids game will not.

Sure some of the prospects will involved in play-offs, some won't. 

Take Bedard for example last time I checked his team was barely hanging onto a playoff spot.

30 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I posted some video of him a week or 2 ago and I do like his game however I think the centres that will be available will better additions to our team with that pick. 

I hear the talk about rankings will change in the lead up to the draft, however the fundamentals of these young kids game will not.

Take Bedard for example last time I checked his team was barely hanging onto a playoff spot.

I mean if they (our scouts) want him and don't think he will be there with the NYI pick I'd rather they reached for a guy we actually need.

Which centers? Don't see any. @5  I'd rather reach for Rein than Dvorski

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean if they (our scouts) want him and don't think he will be there with the NYI pick I'd rather they reached for a guy we actually need.

Which centers? Don't see any. @5 

Smith, Benson can/ has played centre.

I would take Dvorsky, as would most of the mocks I have seen,  before Reinbacher. 

Got a lot higher on him after what HOH had to say about Dalibor.

The way I see things is that if one person tells you something, you take it in, if 2, 3,4 people tell you the same or similar you have to take that seriously into account. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/703646/david-reinbacher

The mocks have him anywhere between 15 and 35. 

It is only my opinion however I don't believe any of the D in this draft is top 10 worthy, let alone top 5. 

Time will tell.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Thank goodness someone gets it. I keep hearing about Aatu Raty and how he was "a strong consideration for first overall" and I can only roll my eyes. In reality there was only a small handful of people with very large platforms that propagated the Raty 1st overall talk, and fans just jumped on the bandwagon. I'm talking of course primarily about Craig Button, TSN's "head scout" who really had no idea but needed something to talk about. I distinctly recall a couple posters on HF who I held in high regard and who had followed Raty through his D-1 year said there was no chance he was going anywhere close to 1st and one specifically predicted that "people will be shocked how late he ends up going".

Of course, yes, players develop at different rates and sometimes there are late bloomers, but real NHL scouts have a pretty good idea who is who by pretty early in the draft year. The wild fluctuations in media rankings reflect more just information trickling down and becoming widespread, and not so much actual changes in the players. The more "in the know" you are, the less you're going to be surprised by late developments in the media rankings.

Someone mentioned McTavish as a recent example of a late riser that caught everyone by surprise. But @Isam for one was hyping McTavish pretty hard from very early in the year. This year he seems to have seen more of Reinbacher than any of us, and he's been the one urging caution around Reinbacher's ranking.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2