The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

More from Cody Severtson:

"Their season ends on a sour note, but it is hard not to see this season as anything but a stirring success. The on-ice product was electric, the efforts of its young stars carried the team, the goaltending tandem was terrific, and several players performed well enough to earn two-year two-way extensions with the NHL club.

Though they couldn’t force a game 5, this coaching and development staff did the impossible this season by renewing the fanbase’s faith in the organization’s previously nonexistent development program".

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

This is video clip of that icing call. As Cody Severtson said in the Canucks Army game review, "Unfortunately, the hockey gods had other plans in the form of a bizarre icing call..."

giphy.gif

From that angle, terrible call, but when they showed it from the one side, you can see where it could have gone either way.  Unfortunately it didn't go Abby's way and bit them hard.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wouldnt have called that icing, but it was close enough that I can see why some might.  

Helluva season........I've been watching since December and spent a good month posting here on game days all by my lonesome.  I'm glad others eventually saw how fun they were to watch.

It was a nice surprise for a change in this thread. Last season it was quiet in here. But there are a good few that come in and always post game updates. 

In Utica days we had some good discussions with a lot of people from Utica themselves. Who signed up solely to chat about the Utica club. They had some great points of view because they would go to the game and live post and give updates. 

It’s great to see discussion on our AHL squad in here again. I’ve been loving everyones insights to what they see. Or update live from the games. We got a good thing brewing here in Abby!

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It was a nice surprise for a change in this thread. Last season it was quiet in here. But there are a good few that come in and always post game updates. 

In Utica days we had some good discussions with a lot of people from Utica themselves. Who signed up solely to chat about the Utica club. They had some great points of view because they would go to the game and live post and give updates. 

It’s great to see discussion on our AHL squad in here again. I’ve been loving everyones insights to what they see. Or update live from the games. We got a good thing brewing here in Abby!

It's not just our AHL affiliate moving closing but it appears management has FINALLY begun to pay alot of attention to our farm club.  Big surprise right?  A rebuilding club putting some emphasis in our farm system especially since it was left barren under the Gillis regime.  Other than goalies (who ALSO developed under the Gillis & Nonis teams), which prospects developed on the farm under the expert drafting GM Benning?  Guys like Woo are actually showing some signs of improvement!

• There it is 1

41 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So what are the positives to this season? 

Our Jr Canucks hung with the best team in the AHL where it literally could have gone either way? 

Hogz looks ready for a reg spot in the NHL? 

Wolanin might be poised for NHL next year? 

I think on top of that. We have some good young guys who look like they could fill “niche” roles for the big club. Quick call up guys who can fill in for injuries and play a solid pro game and keep their head above water. Lots of young guys on the team this year really committed to a defence first mindset. Bains and Wouters on the PK could be something we see at 4th line call ups in the future. Plus have room to grow. 

Yes the Wranglers beat us 3-1 in the series…but every game these young guys pushed them. Every game was a 1 goal game.

And to he honest the guys I was least impressed with were AHL vets. I did not like Guitarri or Rau personally. Dowling was definitely the best out if the bunch. I actually feel Gutarri brought Wolanins game way down. And I feel that if Wolanin were paired with Woo again we would have seen a different series. They were great this year as a pair but were split up when Wolanin got called up.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I think on top of that. We have some good young guys who look like they could fill “niche” roles for the big club. Quick call up guys who can fill in for injuries and play a solid pro game and keep their head above water. Lots of young guys on the team this year really committed to a defence first mindset. Bains and Wouters on the PK could be something we see at 4th line call ups in the future. Plus have room to grow. 

Yes the Wranglers beat us 3-1 in the series…but every game these young guys pushed them. Every game was a 1 goal game.

And to he honest the guys I was least impressed with were AHL vets. I did not like Guitarri or Rau personally. Dowling was definitely the best out if the bunch. I actually feel Gutarri brought Wolanins game way down. And I feel that if Wolanin were paired with Woo again we would have seen a different series. They were great this year as a pair but were split up when Wolanin got called up.

It's not just a case of the goalie bailing out the team like in past with the Comets.  There are actually some players that look like they might make the 'big show'.  Elite players?  Nah but you need CHEAP support depth players (none of this bullcrap paying Poolman MILLIONS to be a 3rd pairing D on the Canucks).  I too see guys like Woo maybe making that next step.  Top four?  Nah but still a valuable role as a cheap cap hit depth guy meaning you can spend cap space on more vital areas on the Canucks.

• Vintage 1

Too bad the boys lost, was surprised to see the team didn't continue with their goalie rotation and went with Martin again...seems to go against what the team leading up to the playoffs and then round 1. Would have been a good pressure game for Silovs to be in but he is young enough and should be that #1G next year for Abbotsford. Martin likely has a slight edge to being the back up next year, will have to see how his play is during the pre season.

Hopefully some of the young Canuck prospects have a solid off season and come to camp challenging for an NHL spot out of the gate! Let the off season begin!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

If there’s one thing Rutherford and Alvin probably know how to do is how to fill depth roles with affordable talent that can grow into more…I mean they had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury to pay for at one point in time and still had to cap wise build a team around those big salaries. I was always impressed how Pittsburgh would find these value guys who would work well on Crosby and Malkins wings…only to find out most these guys were groomed on the farm and had been moulded for years before getting to the NHL. 

It seems like we are seeing some of that philosophy at work here in Abby. They keep saying they want to get the farm team younger. I can see a point where if you draft correctly you can have a stable flow of young pro level prospects always knocking at the door for bigger opportunities. Add on top their willingness to nab guys from overseas and college I really can see this being sustainable.

You never know what diamond in the rough you will unearth with this kind of model. Kinda exciting. 

Are Colliton and assistant coaches signed for next year? With all the young talent signed this past year Abby should get even younger. There is a learning dynamic in Abby now which did not seem to exist before. 6 post season games should leave a taste for further effort. Very exciting for Abby. 

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Are Colliton and assistant coaches signed for next year? With all the young talent signed this past year Abby should get even younger. There is a learning dynamic in Abby now which did not seem to exist before. 6 post season games should leave a taste for further effort. Very exciting for Abby. 

As far as I know he is only signed to this season. I did some digging and not much info out there on his contract. Just says he signed this season to coach our farm team. He has a great AHL coaching record. I hope we retain him asap if he doesn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

As far as I know he is only signed to this season. I did some digging and not much info out there on his contract. Just says he signed this season to coach our farm team. He has a great AHL coaching record. I hope we retain him asap if he doesn’t.

Yeah, Colliton must be retained...  sounds like they have a great staff down there and it's all looked after by Ryan Johnson, who has overseen a lot of the changes and player personnel. 

We also shouldn't ignore the fact that the Sedins have been spending most of their time at Abby, working with the young guys.  

It will be really tough to go any further in the Calder Cup without having a fair amount of veterans sprinkled in.  I think that we had a really good mix this year, and we had the highest number of under 23 players in our 7 team division (I didn't bother comparing to other AHL teams).  

While I'm musing here, let's see what the roster might look like next year...   

Goalies

Spencer Martin, Artur Silovs, and the 6'6 Belorussian goalie Talapila are all signed to contracts for next year.  I don't foresee any more signings being made on this front unless they decide that the big club needs a different backup.  

Defence

McWard, Johansson, Woo (needs a new deal), and Juulsen (needs a new deal) will make a very good AHL right side.  Brady Keeper might be gone as he's a UFA. Alex Kenon-Leipert is one of the most liked teammates and is needed to keep the opposition honest.  Him and Guitarri will be the 4th and 5th options on the right side when one of the top four RDs end up in the NHL.  

Left side looks a bit sketchy as one of Hirose or Wolanin is probably in the NHL next year.  Rathbone probably won't survive waiver wire, so we will have to make a decision on him.  Schmiemann and Nychuk are both 22 and should be okay as bottom option LD in Abby.  

It seems to me that our recruitment staff should be looking at bringing in one more LD this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a veteran AHL/NHL tweener.  

Forward 

Let's first look at the most likely candidates for Abby next year: 

Arshy Bains, Aiden McDonough, Josh Bloom (turns 20 in a month or so), Klimovich, Max Sasson, Aatu Raty, Marc Gatcomb, John Stevens (needs a deal), Vinny Arsenault, Chase Wouters, Matt Alfaro, Michael Regush, and Tristan Nielsen.  

That's 13 forwards without including Linus Karlsson or Nils Hoglander, who are likely to have a chance at the NHL.  I'd love to see Bains get some NHL games in, but I'm not holding my breath next year.  

The players that I'm curious about are:  

Jacob Truscott (finished the season injured, probably going back for his final year at Michigan, left handed D) 

Connor Lockhart (perhaps he signs an AHL-only deal?  doubt he goes back to the draft, but he's a scoring winger) 

Joni Jurmo (coming to Abby would be a small step up for the big man, left handed D) 

Lukas Jasek (very strong Liiga performer, two-way winger) 

Dmitri Zlodeyev (in the summer of 2024, he's a two-way center who doesn't look to have much NHL upside but could be a good AHL add) 

I would like to see Joni Jurmo come for the development camp and then sign an ELC and stick with Abby.  He's been developing nicely in Liiga, and we have an open slot on the left side of our defense.  Going from a 2nd pairing in Liiga to AHL will be a good jump for the 21 year old.  

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, Colliton must be retained...  sounds like they have a great staff down there and it's all looked after by Ryan Johnson, who has overseen a lot of the changes and player personnel. 

We also shouldn't ignore the fact that the Sedins have been spending most of their time at Abby, working with the young guys.  

It will be really tough to go any further in the Calder Cup without having a fair amount of veterans sprinkled in.  I think that we had a really good mix this year, and we had the highest number of under 23 players in our 7 team division (I didn't bother comparing to other AHL teams).  

While I'm musing here, let's see what the roster might look like next year...   

Goalies

Spencer Martin, Artur Silovs, and the 6'6 Belorussian goalie Talapila are all signed to contracts for next year.  I don't foresee any more signings being made on this front unless they decide that the big club needs a different backup.  

Defence

McWard, Johansson, Woo (needs a new deal), and Juulsen (needs a new deal) will make a very good AHL right side.  Brady Keeper might be gone as he's a UFA. Alex Kenon-Leipert is one of the most liked teammates and is needed to keep the opposition honest.  Him and Guitarri will be the 4th and 5th options on the right side when one of the top four RDs end up in the NHL.  

Left side looks a bit sketchy as one of Hirose or Wolanin is probably in the NHL next year.  Rathbone probably won't survive waiver wire, so we will have to make a decision on him.  Schmiemann and Nychuk are both 22 and should be okay as bottom option LD in Abby.  

It seems to me that our recruitment staff should be looking at bringing in one more LD this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a veteran AHL/NHL tweener.  

Forward 

Let's first look at the most likely candidates for Abby next year: 

Arshy Bains, Aiden McDonough, Josh Bloom (turns 20 in a month or so), Klimovich, Max Sasson, Aatu Raty, Marc Gatcomb, John Stevens (needs a deal), Vinny Arsenault, Chase Wouters, Matt Alfaro, Michael Regush, and Tristan Nielsen.  

That's 13 forwards without including Linus Karlsson or Nils Hoglander, who are likely to have a chance at the NHL.  I'd love to see Bains get some NHL games in, but I'm not holding my breath next year.  

The players that I'm curious about are:  

Jacob Truscott (finished the season injured, probably going back for his final year at Michigan, left handed D) 

Connor Lockhart (perhaps he signs an AHL-only deal?  doubt he goes back to the draft, but he's a scoring winger) 

Joni Jurmo (coming to Abby would be a small step up for the big man, left handed D) 

Lukas Jasek (very strong Liiga performer, two-way winger) 

Dmitri Zlodeyev (in the summer of 2024, he's a two-way center who doesn't look to have much NHL upside but could be a good AHL add) 

I would like to see Joni Jurmo come for the development camp and then sign an ELC and stick with Abby.  He's been developing nicely in Liiga, and we have an open slot on the left side of our defense.  Going from a 2nd pairing in Liiga to AHL will be a good jump for the 21 year old.  

If we were to forecast next season, for sure I think you’re close on your assessment. I’m curious about Lockhart and Jurmo. Both would be great adds to the team. I’d love to see Jasek back…but he’s maybe still pissed at us. Although with new management maybe they check in on him? 

I also think they will sign another couple euro free agents this summer, Alvin seems to have a good pulse on talent overseas. Fill in the gaps with that kinda “show me what you got” talent. It worked well with Aman, he was a great depth add this year for our big club.

One thing we haven’t touched on yet (and it’s a shame we didn’t see this line in the post season)…is the swedish line of Aman, Karlsson, and Hogz…they were absolutely dynamite in the AHL. And i’d love to see that line form again next season. Even as a 4th line on the big club. They were a VERY good line.

The one thing that really shocked me is how good the wranglers are. Calgary has a great prospect pool they've built up. And they have done it with little or no lottery help. They're last top 10 pick was Matthew Tkachuk and have only had a top 10 pick 3 times in the last 10 years. But so many of their picks have had decent nhl careers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Way to go for the Abby group this season! Overall really pleased with how they did and how young and exciting the team felt. Tough playoff loss, but fought hard the whole way. 

Excited to see how next season goes, hopefully add a little more youth/prospects and maybe look to bring in 1 or 2 veteran AHL guys to balance it out while removing any bodies that didn't work out. 

On 5/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Good comments. The right side of the D is getting crowded in the organization overall, with some uncertainties. For the organization as a whole here is how I see the depth chart at RD

1. Hronek (signed for one year, then RFA)

2. Bear (RFA this summer)

3. Myers (Canucks would like to trade him but his cap hit is hard to move, Maybe after his bonus is paid on Sep. 15)

4. Poolman (likely stays on LTIR but if he is "ready to play" next fall his cap hit complicates things)

5. Burroughs (UFA, popular player, local kid, would no doubt sign for the NHL min if offered)

6. Johansson (signed last summer to ELC, had a good year in the SHL)

7. Juulsen (UFA, popular player, local kid, leader in Abby. Hope he is re-signed)

8. Woo (RFA this summer, made a lot of progress this year, expect him to be re-signed on two-way deal).

9. McWard (recently signed college FA, will definitely play for Abby next season)

10. Keeper (UFA, hard to see him coming back)

11. Guitarri (playing on AHL contract, hard to see him coming back)

12. Kannock-Liepert (playing on AHL contract, popular player, may be back).

Between Vancouver and Abby there is probably room for 9 guys, so there is some crowding. Most likely Poolman stays on LTIR and I hope Myers can be traded.

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 2