The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks still don't have a radio deal and the pre-season is right around the corner

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

They guys that come on after Halford & Brough are hard to listen to from 650 baseball talk..lol..lol.. Turn off 650 right away...

Yep. If they aren’t going to even try to put their best effort into local coverage, they should just close up shop. The move towards podcasts is welcome by me, then I can pick and choose podcasts and avoid the toxic arrogance of the Drance’s and Sekeres’s and the hard wired negativity of the “J-Pats” of the local market. Halford and Brough to podcast, in addition to the fresh (albeit naive) up and comers like Faber and Quads would a very good development IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The play-by-play broadcast is tremendously different than the rest of the programming.

I can no longer listen to any of them when the game is not on.

On TV, the PVR lets me escape their prattle, and just watch the action on the ice.

I have yet to see a podcast I could put up with for more than about 30 seconds.

This:  CDC:  is the best; fastest; most intelligent; most depth, insight, personal anecdotes, etc., etc.

• Cheers 2

Money makes the world go 'round.

What are NHL game broadcasts worth on radio?

How much revenue can the station expect to earn back on their investment?

As part of Rogers Sportsnet's complete Canuck coverage, I imagine the radio part is a drop in the bucket.

But if they're gonna broadcast the game on TV, they might as well put it on the radio too.

So, who is playing hardball with this deal, the Canucks, or Rogers?

[Can't get this out of my head while reading this thread, so here it is:  Video killed the radio star.]

On 9/10/2022 at 5:22 AM, audiodave said:

Not to be flippant but, does anyone still listen to the radio? It might be hard to sell the rights to the radio broadcast if there's no one listening.

Well I live in the UK and I will surely miss not being able to listen to the games while I'm working. I often start work at 3am which is when most games in the Pacific time zone start. I guess if I'm the only one listening then I'll be outta luck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Well I live in the UK and I will surely miss not being able to listen to the games while I'm working. I often start work at 3am which is when most games in the Pacific time zone start. I guess if I'm the only one listening then I'll be outta luck. 

Been listening from the US since 2007.  It's not just the play by play, but pre game and post game shows, intermission guests etc.  For me, the best was when Shorty and Larschied were on. Been going downhill every iteration since.  

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yep. If they aren’t going to even try to put their best effort into local coverage, they should just close up shop. The move towards podcasts is welcome by me, then I can pick and choose podcasts and avoid the toxic arrogance of the Drance’s and Sekeres’s and the hard wired negativity of the “J-Pats” of the local market. Halford and Brough to podcast, in addition to the fresh (albeit naive) up and comers like Faber and Quads would a very good development IMO.

They are going to daily podcasts I think pretty quick here if I remember correctly.  

On 9/11/2022 at 8:46 PM, Jaimito said:

Been listening from the US since 2007.  It's not just the play by play, but pre game and post game shows, intermission guests etc.  For me, the best was when Shorty and Larschied were on. Been going downhill every iteration since.  

that probably coincides with our local media going very negative and  the endless "insider" rumour mill crappola. The local media hasn't done itself any favours in how its dealt with the team for a long time now, I'm not surprised at all that the team is considering cutting them out.

As long as the fans can access content via streaming, I don't really see the loss. Our local radio has been bad for a long time now. 

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

'NW was the all time best in Sports coverage in BC for two decades. They were all in on Canucks and Lions coverage. Jim Robson, Larchied, McConnell, Big Al Davidson, McKeachie, all did us fans well. The crap that's on our radio airwaves is brutal, which is why I don't listen.

Exactly. NW was the best and todays radio is hard to stomach. I used to be quite content to listen to radio broadcasts rather than being pinned to the couch to experience the game. Not any more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, JM_ said:

that probably coincides with our local media going very negative and  the endless "insider" rumour mill crappola. The local media hasn't done itself any favours in how its dealt with the team for a long time now, I'm not surprised at all that the team is considering cutting them out.

As long as the fans can access content via streaming, I don't really see the loss. Our local radio has been bad for a long time now. 

It's different without a live call in show. Drunk or upset fans aside, it's good entertainment post game, especially in the playoffs. 

I'm sure online chat is bigger in numbers, but you can't read it while driving. 

The platform of AM is useless for me, but they stream online and so that's valuable.  If Canucks run it themselves and have an online streaming service, I would even pay to get a subscription. 

14 hours ago, Jaimito said:

It's different without a live call in show. Drunk or upset fans aside, it's good entertainment post game, especially in the playoffs. 

I'm sure online chat is bigger in numbers, but you can't read it while driving. 

The platform of AM is useless for me, but they stream online and so that's valuable.  If Canucks run it themselves and have an online streaming service, I would even pay to get a subscription. 

oh man don't tell Aqulini that :lol: