The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks still don't have a radio deal and the pre-season is right around the corner

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

On 8/4/2022 at 5:39 PM, iceman64 said:

Sadly your right but so is the b.s. that comes out of John Garrett's mouth.. that guy is painful to listen to so now I just turn off the volume for a game and turn on music and watch. Pretty lame when one has to do that, I miss the old school callers like Ken Hodge, that guy was worth listening to!! No one even comes close anymore and listening to him call the Stanley cup was amazing, almost like you were there he did it so well.

Do you mean Dave Hodge, he never did play by play or colour. His forte' was as a host of HNIC, but was let go for the pencil flip. He did this market on NW for a few years after that in and around the Larionov and Krutov signings in Vancouver.

21 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Do you mean Dave Hodge, he never did play by play or colour. His forte' was as a host of HNIC, but was let go for the pencil flip. He did this market on NW for a few years after that in and around the Larionov and Krutov signings in Vancouver.

Dave Hodge did indeed do PBP calling. He called the Buffalo Sabres on radio for that team's first season. Then 20 about years later, he was PBP for the Minnesota North Stars TV games. Hodge also called CFL games for the Argonauts in the 70s and other CFL games in the late 80s.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hodge

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

Pauser, who was  real named after berating a show producer, on a Jeff Patersson weekend show; died  a while back.

Haven't heard a thing about/from Dan Russell in years.

Sorry to hear Pauser is no longer with us. I always enjoyed listening to Dan and him talk hockey. Towards the end of Dan’s Sportstalk they got at each other’s throats more often than not. 

I always thought he was nicknamed Pauser because of his tendency to leave long gaps in his speech for effect and to try to emphasize his point. 

Rest in Peace.

2 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I always thought he was nicknamed Pauser because of his tendency to leave long gaps in his speech

That is indeed how he got the name.

Also-been a lot of years since I listened to CKNW- but "The Poet" would, on rare occasions, call in to the day time/political shows.

The guy is likely passed on now; as he told Dan he moved to the island for retirement, so it has been decades.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

That is indeed how he got the name.

Also-been a lot of years since I listened to CKNW- but "The Poet" would, on rare occasions, call in to the day time/political shows.

The guy is likely passed on now; as he told Dan he moved to the island for retirement, so it has been decades.

Thanks for the information. Nice to know some of the others here remember the olden olden days. Dan would run the show until 3-4 am sometimes during the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Pauser, who was  real named after berating a show producer, on a Jeff Patersson weekend show; died  a while back.

Haven't heard a thing about/from Dan Russell in years.

Dan Russell wrote a book few months a ago 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I get that it’s Summer and a bunch of hosts are taking turns on holidays…but 650, whenever I tune in (admittedly not often these days) is absolutely AWFUL. They lose the radio rights it’s adios I’ll wager.

To he honest, I listen to more Seattle sports radio these days. They don’t talk Kraken much thankfully. 

2 hours ago, nwdivision said:

Dave Hodge did indeed do PBP calling. He called the Buffalo Sabres on radio for that team's first season. Then 20 about years later, he was PBP for the Minnesota North Stars TV games. Hodge also called CFL games for the Argonauts in the 70s and other CFL games in the late 80s.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hodge

Sorry, but I thought we were talking about a Vancouver market, and the Canucks. My radio signal never reached Buffalo or Minnesota, as the most I remember was 100,000 watts.

52 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Sorry, but I thought we were talking about a Vancouver market, and the Canucks. My radio signal never reached Buffalo or Minnesota, as the most I remember was 100,000 watts.

Well we can pick straws about it but either way, the quality was incredible. The original statement by me on hodge is a lil fuzzy, that was a longgggg time ago. I just remember him and the buzz, dick Irwin was another. Old school boys... Play by play was always good and almost like you were there if you closed you eyes. 

Anyway, I miss a lot from back then, the brawls were kinda fun but sometimes they went on forever and the game lost it's flow usually and took awhile to get it back. 

• 3 weeks later...

So still no word on the Canucks broadcast home?

Tuned in to 650 today for a replay of Halford and Brough and then some Toronto based Blue Jays talk. They lose the rights, may as well close up shop. Won’t be losing much, anyway…and Halford and Brough, the only thing palatable on 650 would likely join the Vancouver sports podcast ranks - instantly becoming the best of the bunch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

My vote would be for Heffy 

"WELL THAT F****** GUY CANT PLAY DEFENSE FOR SH!T"

"HERE HE COMES UP THE RIGHT SIDE........OMG, YOU ARE A HORRIBLE F***ING PLAYER"

@King Heffy you've been nominated

I'd tune in to hear you rip the defense of both teams 

Leafs games will be a must listen 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1