The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller racks up a lot of assists, many of those on the PP, but his style is clearly a PF.  A playmaker plays a low key, efficient, cerebral game like Hank, Thornton, Backstrom, Getzlaf eyc etc.  They stay effective longer because they have less wear and tear on their bodies.  JT Miller does not play that way, regardless of his assist numbers.

Does Miller have a history of injures? 

I cant find much. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

true. There's a pretty wide range of players in that list tho. 

Anyway  I don't see that the basic landscape has suddenly shifted with Trevliving throwing money at this guy, we're still in the same situation. If Millers camp is expecting 80 million its just not going to happen here. 

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Miller is awesome.

We will be very fortunate is we can figure out a way to retain him.

I don't care how many Kreskins write a novel about how he will for sure decline in a couple minutes. 

Cheers!  I don't want to contribute to hijacking this in to another JT thread lol.

Let's just say that I found that list to be a bit misleading.  Agree with @bishopshodan that we would be fortunate to retain JT.  Has to be at a deal closer to what JR wants than what JT is asking though.  Since I find that unlikely, it puts me in the trade JT camp almost by default.  Happy to engage in further discussion on it in the JT thread.

To stay somewhat on topic, I think this Huberdeau deal is not great for teams around the league who appeared to be gaining some negotiating leverage.  Thanks Calgary!

Edited by Baratheon
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

If Lindholm and Huberdeau cant find chemistry, this will be bad.  Backlund is more of a 3rd C.  Who will Huberdeau play with if it doesnt work with Lindholm?

Didn't Huberdeau say at his "meet the press" that he'd make Lindholm a perennial 50 goal scorer?

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

buddy on the tweety says 60% of your points from assists makes you an elite playmaker. Miller has done that. He had 67 assist last year. How can you say he isn't a playmaker?

I don't think it's that simple. If we were to simplify these numbers into a player who finished the year with 40 goals and 60 assists, I don't think that automatically makes a player an elite playmaker. 

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Very healthy player.  Hasn't had an injury since he was 23yrs old.

Opps...I thought you were asking about Huber.

Miller is a healthy player as well, but has had a few short term injuries.

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I don't think it's that simple. If we were to simplify these numbers into a player who finished the year with 40 goals and 60 assists, I don't think that automatically makes a player an elite playmaker. 

I know, I'm just playing with the spin. We can find stats in hockey for many sides of an argument. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller racks up a lot of assists, many of those on the PP, but his style is clearly a PF.  A playmaker plays a low key, efficient, cerebral game like Hank, Thornton, Backstrom, Getzlaf eyc etc.  They stay effective longer because they have less wear and tear on their bodies.  JT Miller does not play that way, regardless of his assist numbers.

yep thats true, which is why I don't think anyone is going to shovel 80 mil his way. Its a bit of a gyp, more perimeter guys like Hubie get more money that a guy working harder but it is what it is. 

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller is a power forward, not a playmaker

Do power forwards usually have a 2:1 assists/goals ratio?  Neely, Iginla and Bertuzzi certainly didn't, and they are generally held to be the epitome of power forwards

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I know, I'm just playing with the spin. We can find stats in hockey for many sides of an argument. 

but, to be fair I do think Miller does have high level playmaking ability. He does regularly make very impressive passes and has vision beyond what the average player has. I have just never once though of JT as an elite playmaker.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep thats true, which is why I don't think anyone is going to shovel 80 mil his way. Its a bit of a gyp, more perimeter guys like Hubie get more money that a guy working harder but it is what it is. 

no agument here, I'd take Miller over JH every time

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Do power forwards usually have a 2:1 assists/goals ratio?  Neely, Iginla and Bertuzzi certainly didn't, and they are generally held to be the epitome of power forwards

numbers make no difference, it's their style ofplay and wear and tear on their bodies

Just now, Shayster007 said:

but, to be fair I do think Miller does have high level playmaking ability. He does regularly make very impressive passes and has vision beyond what the average player has. I have just never once though of JT as an elite playmaker.

that was what I was getting at. Yes he does produce on the PP, but 37/67of his assists were 5 on 5 or short handed. He's just a really good all situations player. 

I'd really like to see something in the 8's the way the market is shaping up, and with how the F group is being retooled. On paper, we have a heck of a group, better than cowtown even with the Hubie.

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Right, I forgot it didn't kick in until next year. 

king hell.

I’m just in awe that this F bomb has lasted 4 hours. Pretty awesome 

Edited by Devron
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Calgary is almost $3m under the cap if Monahan stays on IR; this year.

Huberdeau only costs $5.9m this year; the Uber-Deau doesn't kick in until next year.

I am also interested in whether or not they are going to go all-in like this for Weeger. 

probably, they are going to have to look to their d group for some grit, that F group is soft as butter. Sure they have Looch but its his last year, he's not going to end his career with a concussion.

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that was what I was getting at. Yes he does produce on the PP, but 37/67of his assists were 5 on 5 or short handed. He's just a really good all situations player. 

I'd really like to see something in the 8's the way the market is shaping up, and with how the F group is being retooled. On paper, we have a heck of a group, better than cowtown even with the Hubie.

Kind of balances out. Calgary has better defence. We have better forwards. Goalies are similar. Different coaching styles too.

• Vintage 1