The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Miller to Florida

Quotes from Colby Cole THW.

This could be their year with added Tchuk impact. They would have to make room for Miller 5M, but very doable. They could use his  leadership in the playoffs. 

They don't have a RD that I see helping us really. And I think Coach B has us as defense by committee as it is.

So what we get are forward prospects and a conditional pick.

-Serron Noel 6'5 power forward, has speed and skill to match his size (his father was a RB the CFL)a great project as 3rd line secondary scoring, has been compared to Wheeler but likens himself as a Simmonds type of player and stands up for team mates. His standout season was in 2018-19, with 34 goals and 81 pts in 68 g for the Oshawa Generals and added four goals and 11 points in 14 playoff games.

-Anton Lundell 6'1 190, sniper played at the World Championship and dominated, scoring four goals and seven points in 10 games to lead his team in both categories. He signed his entry-level deal with the Panthers following the tournament and will likely be the team’s third-line center next season.

Lundell is a pure sniper at center and can work with and without the puck to put himself in the best position to shoot. He has a very quick release,  At 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Lundell has the speed to dominate on the breakout while having the size to win puck battles. He also has a tremendous hockey IQ and is always in position.

-We also get a conditional 3rd,

moves to 2nd if they pass the first round of the playoffs, 1st round pick if they make they make it to the finals.

This is only if we can't resign Miller. But we restock our shelves and deepen our forwards even more.

I'd prefer to resign Miller but we need a plan B. And I think Florida's opportunity is now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we could get just Lundell for Miller (one for one) that’s a great trade for us.  Hell, we should retain 50% on Miller to get Lundell. 

Don't think Florida will give him up though.  

Facts, I would 100% trade JT straight up for a 20 year old who got 44 points in 65 games of his first NHL season.

• Like 1

Florida is already $3 Million over the cap. So this puts them at $7 million over.

So how are they affording him? Even retained they would be $4-5 over.

Florida does not even have a 1st round pick for the next 3 years. They don't even have a 3rd until 2024.

There's also no way Florida can afford him. Unless Miller is willing to sign for $5 million for 8 years.

15 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Facts, I would 100% trade JT straight up for a 20 year old who got 44 points in 65 games of his first NHL season.

Yup.  Florida would much rather dumperoo Sam Reinhart on us than give up Lundell.  And we don’t want that Rhino and his contract.  

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Florida is already $3 Million over the cap. So this puts them at $7 million over.

So how are they affording him? Even retained they would be $4-5 over.

Florida does not even have a 1st round pick for the next 3 years. They don't even have a 3rd until 2024.

There's also no way Florida can afford him. Unless Miller is willing to sign for $5 million for 8 years.

That is the thing Florida isn't going to give up anymore of their futures and young players especially with the Tkachuk trade.

The folks in Sportsnet made a great point do people see the Tkachuck/Huberdeau trade as the Tkachuck trade or the Huberdeau trade? We all know it's the former but this ask the question if Calgary was able to execute a good deal trading away Tkachuck and Vancouver can't for Miller. Do other teams see Miller as a superstar player or someone that is more part of a package? 

Point is I don't think Miller can command Florida giving up a young NHL Player + a prospect and a pick for Miller.

It's more likely going to be the other way around especially with Miller's UFA status.

Let's say Canucks want Anton Lundell. It's probably going to be

to Flordia

JT Miller

Lottery protected 1st round pick 

to Vancouver

Anton Lundell

3rd round pick 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That is the thing Florida isn't going to give up anymore of their futures and young players especially with the Tkachuk trade.

The folks in Sportsnet made a great point do people see the Tkachuck/Huberdeau trade as the Tkachuck trade or the Huberdeau trade? We all know it's the former but this ask the question if Calgary was able to execute a good deal trading away Tkachuck and Vancouver can't for Miller. Do other teams see Miller as a superstar player or someone that is more part of a package? 

Point is I don't think Miller can command Florida giving up a young NHL Player + a prospect and a pick for Miller.

It's more likely going to be the other way around especially with Miller's UFA status.

Let's say Canucks want Anton Lundell. It's probably going to be

to Flordia

JT Miller

Lottery protected 1st round pick 

to Vancouver

Anton Lundell

3rd round pick 

Tkatchuk wasn’t able to return a young player.  Calgary had to settle for older guys and then grossly overpay one just to keep him.  I say Miller wouldn’t return a young player either.  And JR isn’t an idiot.  He’s not trading away our top picks like Benning so often did. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tkatchuk wasn’t able to return a young player.  Calgary had to settle for older guys and then grossly overpay one just to keep him.  I say Miller wouldn’t return a young player either.  And JR isn’t an idiot.  He’s not trading away our top picks like Benning so often did. 

Well Calgary got a 1st round pick (well 2025) but still something that give them a future and it's a good deal not a jackpot but Calgary is in their window and Vancouver isn't. 

But I think the bigger point is I don't think Vancouver isn't going to get a Top Prospect + 1st round Pick for Miller. Maybe in the trade deadline a team could offer that but only if teams really get desperate and there's a bidding war.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Well Calgary got a 1st round pick (well 2025) but still something that give them a future and it's a good deal not a jackpot but Calgary is in their window and Vancouver isn't. 

But I think the bigger point is I don't think Vancouver isn't going to get a Top Prospect + 1st round Pick for Miller. Maybe in the trade deadline a team could offer that but only if teams really get desperate and there's a bidding war.

Agreed.  At the 2023 TDL a team will definitely give up a great deal to get Miller.  And at that time we could land Lundell straight up for JTM.   But I don’t think our owner will allow a Miller Trade at the deadline.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  At the 2023 TDL a team will definitely give up a great deal to get Miller.  And at that time we could land Lundell straight up for JTM.   But I don’t think our owner will allow a Miller Trade at the deadline.  

Not if the Canucks are still in for the playoffs. Then Allvin has no choice but find a way to keep him, and at that point Miller's side will have all the leverage :frantic:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I'd rather make a trade with LA, who has some cap room. And a lot of good prospects and lots of picks. But Blake strikes me as a shrewd GM, and will probably just stay the course.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But Blake strikes me as a shrewd GM, and will probably just stay the course.

Would a 'shrewd' GM make a deal for Miller to keep that asset away from a conference rival ( say Col for example) at the same time as filling their own organizational need and bolstering a rising team?

27 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Not if the Canucks are still in for the playoffs. Then Allvin has no choice but find a way to keep him, and at that point Miller's side will have all the leverage :frantic:

The longer Miller plays (not extended) into this season, the more likely he walks as a UFA July 1, 2023.  The worst scenario is we do like the Cowpies and grossly overpay to keep a guy, like they did with Huberdough.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Would a 'shrewd' GM make a deal for Miller to keep that asset away from a conference rival ( say Col for example) at the same time as filling their own organizational need and bolstering a rising team?

They are doing pretty good without Miller. But yes, I think it depends on what he's willing to give up to make it enticing to management here.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They are doing pretty good without Miller. But yes, I think it depends on what he's willing to give up to make it enticing to management here.

Straight up for Clarke - I'd do that without hesitating. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Straight up for Clarke - I'd do that without hesitating. 

But why would LA?  Clarke is a top 10 prospect. I don’t think they give him up for 1 year of Miller.  Even extended we’re talking about a 30+ year old player compared to years of team control on a young star potential player. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Even extended we’re talking about a 30+ year old player compared to years of team control on a young star potential player. 

no worries, another thread is full of belief that Miller won't age or decline for at least the next 5-10 years; so it should be all good. lol

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

But why would LA?  Clarke is a top 10 prospect. I don’t think they give him up for 1 year of Miller.  Even extended we’re talking about a 30+ year old player compared to years of team control on a young star potential player. 

Two reasons:

1.  There's a huge log-jam in LA on RD (yeah, I know,  good problem to have).  Roy, Spence, Durzi, Doughty, Clarke, Grans are all signed and either playing now or ready sometime in the next couple seasons.  There's simply too many assets at the same position for them not to utilize one for another organizational need in my  view. 

2.  He fills an important role vacated by Brown as a top 6 PF capable of playing several positions and in different scenarios. Yeah, I know people will say they got their top 6 scorer in Fiala but in my view he can't bring anything close to what Miller can and I'm quite surprised Blake pursued him actually - Fiala is a perimeter player who disappears in the playoffs- the exact opposite of Miller.