The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading Every NHL Team's Centre Depth... woohoo! Canucks should be right up there! Wait... what???

Rate this topic

HKSR

I wouldn't get too upset about it.  These ranking lists are just bored journalists trying to make some money in the off season.  Or in other words they are pretty much meaningless.  The only thing that matters is wins and losses and we're going to have to wait a couple of months to see how that works out.   GCG!

P.S. - It is weird that they left Petterson off the center list and also left him off the winger lists, but it's not that weird considering the eastern based journalists neither know or care much about what goes on in Vancouver.

Edited by nux_win

What's more believable to you:

Hockey journalist simply forgets Elias Pettersson exists

or

Hockey journalist lists Elias Pettersson at the position he actually plays, not the position he occupies in Canucks fans fantasy lineups.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

What's more believable to you:

Hockey journalist simply forgets Elias Pettersson exists

or

Hockey journalist lists Elias Pettersson at the position he actually plays, not the position he occupies in Canucks fans fantasy lineups.

I dunno, I go off the official NHL player page to see what position a player is classified as:

https://www.nhl.com/player/elias-pettersson-8480012

NHL.com is probably wrong though.  Travis Yost knows it all.

EDIT:  In fact, he knows better than the player pages for SportsNet, TSN, ESPN, HockeyDB, CBS Sports, etc that all list him as a centre.  Man, that Travis Yost is pretty amazing.

Edited by HKSR

2 hours ago, nux_win said:

P.S. - It is weird that they left Petterson off the center list and also left him off the winger lists, but it's not that weird considering the eastern based journalists neither know or care much about what goes on in Vancouver.

They have him down as a left winger.

lw.jpg.43b407d9de72111ad17b44c36d2a23be.jpg

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I dunno, I go off the official NHL player page to see what position a player is classified as:

https://www.nhl.com/player/elias-pettersson-8480012

NHL.com is probably wrong though.  Travis Yost knows it all.

EDIT:  In fact, he knows better than the player pages for SportsNet, TSN, ESPN, HockeyDB, CBS Sports, etc that all list him as a centre.  Man, that Travis Yost is pretty amazing.

Actually nhl.com is often very unreliable with positions. Many times they list players like Pettersson who can play C/LW as just C.

I don't think it really matters where Yost listed him, as this article looks like it was made solely to prop up the Leafs.

He ranks the Leafs as 2nd, very questionable. Even without Cirelli, I'd easily take Tampa's C depth over Toronto's.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Actually nhl.com is often very unreliable with positions. Many times they list players like Pettersson who can play C/LW as just C.

I don't think it really matters where Yost listed him, as this article looks like it was made solely to prop up the Leafs.

He ranks the Leafs as 2nd, very questionable. Even without Cirelli, I'd easily take Tampa's C depth over Toronto's.

The Canucks official roster page on this website lists him as a centre, and is directly linked with NHL.com.  So unless the Canucks themselves are wrong, I don't think there's any argument to this.

Heck, TSN.ca themselves (which is the media outlet for Yost) lists Petey as a centre. 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Canucks official roster page on this website lists him as a centre, and is directly linked with NHL.com.  So unless the Canucks themselves are wrong, I don't think there's any argument to this.

Heck, TSN.ca themselves (which is the media outlet for Yost) lists Petey as a centre. 

They also list Miller as just C, but we're all fully aware he can play wing too.

So yes, both nhl/canucks sites don't show all positions that the players play.

Edited by Master Mind

If we were to consider our center depth as being:
Miller

Pettersson

Horvat

Lazar

... I would say that challenges for best center depth in the league. But as mentioned, they had pegged Pettersson as a LW. For what it's worth, that boosted our LW "ranking" to "Outperform", or the 2nd highest tier. Without him there, we would be stuck with Pearson, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Joshua, which would have dropped us to average (at best) in his left wing rankings.

2 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Do you want to be let in on a secret to a happier life? Don’t get all riled up on one man’s opinion about a hockey team.

NO!!!

Best Angry Is One Of Them GIFs | Gfycat

Actual image of me being riled up on CDC:

Adam Scott Computer GIF - Adam Scott Computer Bored - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Puts Toronto in elite, lists Adam Gaudette :lol: wow Jost is useless. 

Yep, can't list someone that'll be on waivers later this year then go on to say they have amazing C depth.

Clearly the depth isn't that great if they're relying on Gaudette.

• Cheers 1