The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What was that cap hit again?  Felt and still does, like a kick-back. 

Sundin was worth it. Maybe not the second year at that cap hit (Gillis dodged a bullet). But unlike he who shall not be named, at least he lived up to leadership, hard work, and teamwork.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sundin was worth it. Maybe not the second year at that cap hit (Gillis dodged a bullet). But unlike he who shall not be named, at least he lived up to leadership, hard work, and teamwork.

lol.   Naslund constantly brought up though who shalt be named, as a reason for his ascension.   The Sedins said one thing about Sundin and it's treated as gospel on this site.   "Just don't worry and play like the playoffs are the regular season and the rest will take care of itself".     Sundin.   Nonis waited years for the WCE era cap to shed - was booted and MG gave his former client the max - 15ish in todays money, for a PPG guy.   It was ridiculous and still is.  At least he didn't do both years. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There seems to be a lot of teams still needing to get cap compliant in the next few weeks here.

What would happen if a team just couldn’t get cap compliant? Has that happened yet? What are the actual penalties?

From what I found on Google…

Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to US$5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to US$5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap.

Wow definitely stiff penalties.

I don’t think it’s happened yet. This year seems to be extra tight though. 

Will be interesting to see how many picks Arozona picks up. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There seems to be a lot of teams still needing to get cap compliant in the next few weeks here.

What would happen if a team just couldn’t get cap compliant? Has that happened yet? What are the actual penalties?

Billy Daly was asked by Tampa beat writer Joe Smith back in 2020 and his answer was that it's not an option - the team can't play.  They would forfeit their season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

That's for cap circumvention - not quite the same as not being cap compliant on opening night. 

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Billy Daly wasn't commenting on cap circumvention when he said they can't play but on cap compliance.  A team has to register all their moves with Central Registry who will verify that they are cap compliant.  Circumvention are typically handshake agreements that go unregistered - paying someone a bonus off-books would be cap circumvention.  

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's hard to guess how JT will do over his 8 year deal, the pessimist in me says he drops to a 70-80 point player next year and then 60 point player for a couple of years and is then useless after 34 years old. Personally I'd have waited until next off-season to decide what to do with his contract but obviously that's a lot of stress and anxiety. An extra year would help tell us how he's going to perform in his 30s, but if he smashes a 90+ point season again then he'd cost way too much (although who would pay a 30 year old a long term 9-10M contract?).

Realistically I think JT hits an 85-90 point season next year (when he's 30), a 70-80 point season the following year (31), then I think he'll be a very useful middle 6 forward and score another 60 points for a good year or two (32-33) and after that I fear he'll drop to around a 40 point pace onwards (34-37) until he retires. Obviously 8M for the last few years will hurt but I'm sure we'll move him or buy him out eventually, or the cap will hopefully rise a lot. He's got a lot of top 6 years in him and I'd like to see his defensive game refine a bit as he gets older so he can take a 2C or 3C shutdown role. If he does that then he'll be very useful throughout the contract.

Let’s not forget Daniel had a pretty good line mate in Hank to help keep those points alive, and vice versa..

as did Naslund in Bert and Morrison for many years.

I think Miller did exceptional last year in regards to having such a collage of assorted line mates.

Perhaps that speaks more to how remarkable last year was for him personally.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1