The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

14 hours ago, Provost said:

Wait... now you are completely changing gears.  We should sign an older Miller to help us win in the next couple years, and at the same time trade some older players to also get younger?  What players exactly are these that have enough value to bring in young players and don't just result in us needing to replace them?

The players under contract for your magical year with lots of cap space are: Miller, Boeser, OEL, Hughes, Demko, Lazar, Mikheyev, Garland, Poolman... which if those older players is going to return us good younger assets?  Which current older players that we have will return us something that will be play at the top of our lineup in 3 years?  Myers?  Pearson?  Schenn?  

??? What do you mean

Miller is one of like 3 play drivers we have. He will help drive the production and value up on our redundant wingers. Boeser should be the next trade target bring back value and re allocate money towards the D.

My stance is always evolving with the team. Garlands on too good on a contract considering his 5v5 play and yearly increased production. We could get some really good value for him in 2 years. Every year or two we should be looking to move out a quality expensive piece and replace them with younger talent obviously. It's really the only way we are going to add to the prospect pool while being on our slow climb towards being a successful playoff team.

As long as we are paying bottom 6 guys as bottom 6 guys, And not hold onto every player for dear life anymore... we should be fine cap wise. Obviously this team has alot to prove to this fanbase though but I'm optimistic 

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

with our deeper line combo's Petey should get some good opportunities this year. I think we have the potential to be a hard team to game plan against. Do you put out your best defensive line against Bo, Miller or Petey? 

Absolutely... 

It's a team that can play with endless line combination. Match ups however they see fit and at any given time have the opportunity to play a line with goals in.

No doubt we all know our Achilles heel, but let's run with the horses this year, and see how bad/good we really are as a team, and then deal with that over the next two years. But this team is ready to play.

And all the talk from a few quarters about the team not reaching the play offs last season, is just noise....

What Bruce achieved with basically the same players as Green said just about everything that needed to be said, and the team has added a couple of players to that group. 

They are ready play...let em play.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely... 

It's a team that can play with endless line combination. Match ups however they see fit and at any given time have the opportunity to play a line with goals in.

No doubt we all know our Achilles heel, but let's run with the horses this year, and see how bad/good we really are as a team, and then deal with that over the next two years. But this team is ready to play.

And all the talk from a few quarters about the team not reaching the play offs last season, is just noise....

What Bruce achieved with basically the same players as Green said just about everything that needed to be said, and the team has added a couple of players to that group. 

They are ready play...let em play.

Lazar and Mikheyev make our penalty kill a lot better. All those games that we lost by a goal because our penalty kill absolutely benningd the bed. 

Next season is going to be fun. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Should be a blast to hear the monumental turnaround by the local crew. Sat Shah has been anti new deal for Miller and an advocate for trading him.

This will be interesting.

Shah has vocally been on the sign Miller train this entire time. I listen to far too many podcasts in the shop and he hasn't really waivered on this since last year's trade deadline. He said it's slightly more then he expected them to sign him for, but he has always been under the impression that they wanted to sign him, as did he. Maybe you're thinking of someone else.

Edited by Shayster007

48 minutes ago, Muttley said:

JT Sounds very happy the contract talks went well. Thinks it's a huge priority to get off to a better start then last year. 

It sounds like it was a mutual thing that the team and players start off well in the season without distractions. 

Makes me think that the Canucks will get something done with Bo before the season starts as well, they want all players to be hitting the ground without distractions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Lazar and Mikheyev make our penalty kill a lot better. All those games that we lost by a goal because our penalty kill absolutely benningd the bed. 

Next season is going to be fun. 

I wonder how effective Mikheyev would be against McDavid. He could probably match his speed. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Right on... time to kick some ass... Lets see where we end up.

If we get a good RHD excellent, but let's not hang around any longer...

Time to win some hockey games...

Probably the most excited I'ver been since 2012-13....

Well i'm going to go off grid here and say it's about the most excited i've been since we traded for Luongo.    Not quite.  That was a happy happy happy day for me.    Guy was incredible in Florida and after the goalie graveyard we had for close to a decade (sorry Kirk! can't teach old dogs new tricks and all of that .... the butterfly should have entered your toolbox!)  ... and well we never ever had the wingers during the Sedin era we do now.   Or the WCE era ... or center depth.   Funny thing, we still have a number one goalie.   Those punks in EDM, TO etc must be jealous... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I must listen to different time slots then you.

Or you're thinking of Dan Riccio who he hosts Canucks Central with, who has been a vocal component of trading Miller. Shah has not been. He has always said you don't trade your best player but also felt that they might not be able to make the money work. But he never wanted to trade Miller.

If you want you can go to minute 19 of the emergency pod that was released on Friday and Shah reiterates what he's been saying all along.

Edited by Shayster007

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well i'm going to go off grid here and say it's about the most excited i've been since we traded for Luongo.    Not quite.  That was a happy happy happy day for me.    Guy was incredible in Florida and after the goalie graveyard we had for close to a decade (sorry Kirk! can't teach old dogs new tricks and all of that .... the butterfly should have entered your toolbox!)  ... and well we never ever had the wingers during the Sedin era we do now.   Or the WCE era ... or center depth.   Funny thing, we still have a number one goalie.   Those punks in EDM, TO etc must be jealous... 

Brian Burke was the GM for much of that & has to take the bulk of that blame.  I bring him up because ironically he was the guy that came up with that term.

Under Dave Nonis, we acquired Luongo via trade & drafted Schneider (who was putting up Vezina candidate performances before injuries ended his career).

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Shah is one of the few guys I like.

He is smart and he is a Canuck fan.

He's not just looking for 'clicks'.

Solid, thoughtful, honest, and respectful.

Completely agree. Him and Chris Faber are my 2 most respected Canucks media pundits. That's why I'm pretty sure I know his take on Miller.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Brian Burke was the GM for much of that & has to take the bulk of that blame.  I bring him up because ironically he was the guy that came up with that term.

Under Dave Nonis, we acquired Luongo via trade & drafted Schneider (who was putting up Vezina candidate performances before injuries ended his career).

Lol believe me i know.  Guess who i paid good money to watch in net?  Snow.  Cloutier.   Skudra.  Burke.  Potvin.  And well you guys who saw these games this year with "Bruce - there it IS!" back up Bob Essansa.   Who was actually pretty good but bald. and the crowd was just as rowdy when he played - because he actually was the best of the group really. 

Edit: That's also a shout out to any WNP fans from the early 90's too.   Back-Up Bob was one of the few things that were ok back then.   Same with Gelinas.   What a freaking total mess.   Burke should have fired Keenan on the spot.   Didn't take long though either.   

Edit:  Every time we got a new goalie we got excited.  Felix "The Cat" Potvin was supposed to do it for us.  Sean Burke ... well suitcase kind brought some mojo but not enough.  Cloutier actually was decent enough in the regular season but just too much Markstrom

first shot of the game bad.  Or when it mattered.   Only good goalies we've ever had are Broduer, Kirk, Luongo ... and YTD. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1