The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Funny , I thought Brock was protected from being traded in this first year of 3,  

but it’s the 2nd year he submits a 10 team no trade list.

brocks first year is an RFA year. you can only have trade protection in your UFA years. that's why a player like, auston matthews for example, only has a NMC in his final year, because thats the only UFA year on his contract/

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Boeser/Garland are better than "average" players FWIW. As may Rathbone be (time will tell).

I'm hoping there's a way to keep these guys still.  Man this team needs someone like Woo to really step up.  Guys like Tanev who come out of nowhere at a low cost are what helps create a winning team.  To some degree Schenn is doing that.  So I guess the real question is if PA can trade away a Dickinson or a Poolman.

13 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'm think'n now that Bo would look better out 6 years at maybe $6.75m = $40.5; maybe 6 @ $7m = $42m.

Mngt has to keep the screws down tight.

Good post! Taking Boeser's contract in consideration on one end and then Miller's deal on the other, Bo should come in at $7m per ... he could even make a case for a bit more but $7m seems fair. Don't think anything under $7m is fair market. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'm wondering now what a 2 year bridge for Bo at $7m would look like to both sides.

Is he worth $7M/yr right now?  I'm not sure about that. But I am sure that a short-term contract would not show the support that the Bo camp will want to see.  Bo is a UFA after this year, so good luck with a 2 year offer!

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm hoping there's a way to keep these guys still.  Man this team needs someone like Woo to really step up.  Guys like Tanev who come out of nowhere at a low cost are what helps create a winning team.  To some degree Schenn is doing that.  So I guess the real question is if PA can trade away a Dickinson or a Poolman.

Yeah, if we could magically stumble upon a college "Tanev" and have even one of Woo, Keeper, Persson, Myrenberg etc turn in to a legit top 4 option in the next couple years, it would be HUGE.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Is he worth $7M/yr right now?  I'm not sure about that. But I am sure that a short-term contract would not show the support that the Bo camp will want to see.  Bo is a UFA after this year, so good luck with a 2 year offer!

Imagine Bo's leverage coming up to unrestricted free agency just when the cap shoots up.

2 years would line him up with Petey's next contract too.

6 years at $7 or 2 years at $7 and 8 years at $9.2?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I would expect in 2 years time there will need to be a decision to move out one of Boeser, Garland, Kuzmenko or Mikheyev to create cap space for Pettersson's raise. We will have some younger ELC guys stepping up at that time, including Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, McDonough, Forsell.

Chicago just signed Johnson to a $950k 1-year contract, if they have tons of cap space next season I can't see an issue with them paying $1m in salary for 1 year of Myers and getting paid a pick to take his entire cap hit on.

I’m not saying this to be coy or bait..  

but there’s a better chance that Pettersson dosent perform to level your thinking or hoping he will..   and he himself may be the guy to move.

Demko may yet be our first 10 m player.

I just don’t see EP becoming a player whose caliber can be compared to guys like McD, Ovie, Crosby, ect.

Hard to depend on ECL’s to carry a team these days.

im not knocking your point,   I’m just being more open minded about what you’ve stated.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m not saying this to be coy or bait..  

but there’s a better chance that Pettersson dosent perform to level your thinking or hoping he will..   and he himself may be the guy to move.

Demko may yet be our first 10 m player.

I just don’t see EP becoming a player whose caliber can be compared to guys like McD, Ovie, Crosby, ect.

Hard to depend on ECL’s to carry a team these days.

im not knocking your point,   I’m just being more open minded about what you’ve stated.

@Elias Pettersson

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm glad we agree now  :) A forward will have to be moved (likely packaged for a D, reducing depth) to clear cap to both improve the D and pay for raises. And yes, we'll need to rely on some contributing ELC's and the like.

Yes, in 2 years' time, like all contending teams we will likely need to move out an older guy and insert a younger guy on a lower cost contract. If we trade that F for a D then we don't reduce depth we just move our depth from F to D.

There are also reports that the cap may take a significant jump in 2023-24 so that might be enough to cover Pettersson's pay rise without moving another forward.