The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Netflix show Get Smart with Money is a sore for successful people

CanuckRookieFan

13 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

On a second note!

I have a 31 year step-son. He is a great guy, and has saved over $100,000.00 for a house, but wants the big new one, the one that 55 year olds have worked their whole life to get.

I have suggested he move north to get a house ( You can buy in Dawson Creek for $150,000 and up, but he does not want to go any place like that...........he wants it down here, and we know it does not exist down here..............but he does not want to sacrifice, which is his problem, not mine!

In Dawson creek, it is cold 4 1/2 months a year, but, if you can save the money, you can go on some nice hoilidays mid-winter...........in 25 to 30 C degree heat

Summers are just as hot, and bars are heated 12 months a year............

Your nest egg will grow quickly up there, and you will be able to buy down here later in life........................again, it's your choice!

It worked for me, I was raised in Dawson Creek. Bought my first house when I was 20 for 60 K, bought a few more, rented and flipped them. Moved to Victoria a decade later and bought a few more places…it does work. However those times have changed now. 150 k gets you a house that is barely standing…but for 250 k you will get something solid.

13 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Wow, that sounds great, working two jobs in Dawson Creek and hanging out at a church or a library drinking McDonald's coffee.

Reveal hidden contents

fuckthatshit.gif.c3453a62a1fe8437925f9ebdbc1531a4.gif

LOL, easy PB…you’re starting to hurt my feelings…:P…it’s ok I’ll get over it with the money I made in real estate in Dawson.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It worked for me, I was raised in Dawson Creek. Bought my first house when I was 20 for 60 K, bought a few more, rented and flipped them. Moved to Victoria a decade later and bought a few more places…it does work. However those times have changed now. 150 k gets you a house that is barely standing…but for 250 k you will get something solid.

LOL, easy PB…you’re starting to hurt my feelings…:P…it’s ok I’ll get over it with the money I made in real estate in Dawson.

LOL, those feelings that you're feeling while you're in Victoria and not in Dawson Creek.:P

• Haha 1

As the OP of this thread I am humbled by your responses, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I want to emphasize that I am a person in my mid-30s who is heavily involved in the Yaletown scene and active on all social media platforms. I may offend some readers by my thoughts but society does not consider anyone over the age of 50 as "relevant" on social media. For that reason and this main reason alone the competition to "look" and act a certain way on social media really guides my life style - yes I have to go into debt to have "nice things" but I have to remind you, I HAVE NICE THINGS - i dont just go into debt for nothing, i actually trade debt for nice things.

Frugal people dont have nice things, they dont go out as much, they dont have Uber Eats on speed dial, they dont have brand clothing ,flashy cars or can buy a round of drinks for everyone at a club.. What type of a life is that a miserable life I say. Look at me, I got a life people envy. I got women up the yingyang coming on to me, I got things I can actually be proud of to show on social media. 

I dont want to be lectured by some senior who worked for 35 years and saved up a few mill in the bank, that is not impressive. Hidden tucked away money isnt impressive because its "invisible" you want to be relevant, you need to SHOW what you got. That "visibility" into your life style is what is the most expensive part of being an elite person, being frugal/FIRE is not elite or respectful or inspiring it is a selfish way to live in my honest opinon.

Which is why FIRE is seen as cheap, good luck taking a hot girl in Vancouver on a date and using a coupon to pay for the bill, see what happens. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So related to that...........

My Daughter mover to Dawson Creek and took the opportunity to be hired by a bank. She is now the bank Manager at 34. (She had 6 months college, and is just damn smart!)

My son worked at McDonalds from the age of 16, and by 25 was a manager working 70+ hours a week. He said that was not good for him, so him and his wife changed jobs. First my son put my daughter in-law through nursing, and then she put him through the mechanics red seal program...............all again in Dawson Creek. My son makes $160,000 per

year, with the opportunity to make another  $75,000 and my daughter in-law is home raising kids. She has now just took on a 2 hour per day job, for sanity reasons (aka Kids)

I am very proud of both of them (all 3 actually) as they all sacrificed to get to a better spot in life.

you should be proud, thats great to see kids that age kicking ass like that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

As the OP of this thread I am humbled by your responses, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I want to emphasize that I am a person in my mid-30s who is heavily involved in the Yaletown scene and active on all social media platforms. I may offend some readers by my thoughts but society does not consider anyone over the age of 50 as "relevant" on social media. For that reason and this main reason alone the competition to "look" and act a certain way on social media really guides my life style - yes I have to go into debt to have "nice things" but I have to remind you, I HAVE NICE THINGS - i dont just go into debt for nothing, i actually trade debt for nice things.

Frugal people dont have nice things, they dont go out as much, they dont have Uber Eats on speed dial, they dont have brand clothing ,flashy cars or can buy a round of drinks for everyone at a club.. What type of a life is that a miserable life I say. Look at me, I got a life people envy. I got women up the yingyang coming on to me, I got things I can actually be proud of to show on social media. 

I dont want to be lectured by some senior who worked for 35 years and saved up a few mill in the bank, that is not impressive. Hidden tucked away money isnt impressive because its "invisible" you want to be relevant, you need to SHOW what you got. That "visibility" into your life style is what is the most expensive part of being an elite person, being frugal/FIRE is not elite or respectful or inspiring it is a selfish way to live in my honest opinon.

Which is why FIRE is seen as cheap, good luck taking a hot girl in Vancouver on a date and using a coupon to pay for the bill, see what happens. 

relevant to who?

btw, you don't own those nice things, the bank does. By the time you pay them off they won't be nice things anymore. 

And I'm not judging, I don't care at all how you want to live you life, have your best one whatever that looks like. 

Edited by JM_

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol...you remember the days of using "rabbit ears" to try & improve the reception of the less than half of dozen channels you could get?  I do.

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

We lived in Gibson's when I was little.........I think we had Channel's 3?, 6 and 12......................LOL always something to watch!

Now, I have like a billion channels, and I can't seem to find anything to watch! LOL

I remember when.

Benny Hill and Dave Allen At Large on KVOS 12.

CBC on channel 3, BCTV on channel 8 and KVOS 12 was all we had for years.

The excitement as  the original 13 channel dial got slowly filled up with other channels

CKVU appeared- with those 'racy' movies on a Friday night.

Good times.

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, gurn said:

I remember when.

Benny Hill and Dave Allen At Large on KVOS 12.

CBC on channel 3, BCTV on channel 8 and KVOS 12 was all we had for years.

The excitement as  the original 13 channel dial got slowly filled up with other channels

CKVU appeared- with those 'racy' movies on a Friday night.

Good times.

I actually went to high school with one of those kid actors on the show.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

I may offend some readers by my thoughts but society does not consider anyone over the age of 50 as "relevant" on social media.

That’s because everyone that age with half a brain has figured out that showing off on social media is for stupid/young people. It’s not that they aren’t relevant - it’s the other way around.

That’s not meant to offend you either, it’s the truth. My friends and I are 40-ish, generally happy and successful people, and none of us could care less what is happening on social media. It’s high school-level nonsense.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That’s because everyone that age with half a brain has figured out that showing off on social media is for stupid/young people. It’s not that they aren’t relevant - it’s the other way around.

That’s not meant to offend you either, it’s the truth. My friends and I are 40-ish, generally happy and successful people, and none of us could care less what is happening on social media. It’s high school-level nonsense.

This is a fair opinion but a billion+ IG users would disagree with you..yes you heard me right, a billion.. surely over a billion people can't be wrong all at once right.. so who would you side with, the vast majority or some hollowed out senior voices on what's "relevant"? Looks like it's safe to say I won this argument.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

This is a fair opinion but a billion+ IG users would disagree with you..yes you heard me right, a billion.. surely over a billion people can't be wrong all at once right.. so who would you side with, the vast majority or some hollowed out senior voices on what's "relevant"? Looks like it's safe to say I won this argument.

Safe to say you sound like you are 13.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

You forgot to add you are full of crap.

28 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

You make it sound like every person on IG is some flashy young person flaunting their daddy and mommy's wealth, or in debt in their mid-30's buying materialistic things that will eventually fade away when you declare bankruptcy. Also, what you see or consider as "NICE THINGS" may not be the same for others. 

Can't tell if OP is trolling or not. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

alittledumb.gif.a6015fd899e516bf0e0556ee7e9f6e49.gif