The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Netflix show Get Smart with Money is a sore for successful people

CanuckRookieFan

4 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Your one sided biased “Best place in this world” comment already makes me wanna laugh. Canada is not a bad place to live, don’t get me wrong. To say this is the best? I don’t think so. Real estate prices alone makes one puke. Vancouver is not New York or Paris or whatever top tier city but an average home costs you a million? Excuse me, who the heck can afford this? Don’t tell me that the high sale tax and income tax are justified. They are not. For anyone making over $100,000 you know how much you are getting taxed. 

Newflash.....not everyone wants to live in a "top tier" city.  They are nice to visit but personally I would never live in one.  I will take Vancouver Island any day.

As far as taxes...how do you suggest we pay for healthcare....schools....roads...bridges  CPP and OAS and all the other things we take for granted.

And income tax?

Making $132,000 a year you can expect to pay around $33,000 a year that's without RRSP and charitable deductions.

It's tough:picard:

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

On 9/9/2022 at 12:03 PM, CanuckRookieFan said:

As the OP of this thread I am humbled by your responses, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I want to emphasize that I am a person in my mid-30s who is heavily involved in the Yaletown scene and active on all social media platforms. I may offend some readers by my thoughts but society does not consider anyone over the age of 50 as "relevant" on social media. For that reason and this main reason alone the competition to "look" and act a certain way on social media really guides my life style - yes I have to go into debt to have "nice things" but I have to remind you, I HAVE NICE THINGS - i dont just go into debt for nothing, i actually trade debt for nice things.

Frugal people dont have nice things, they dont go out as much, they dont have Uber Eats on speed dial, they dont have brand clothing ,flashy cars or can buy a round of drinks for everyone at a club.. What type of a life is that a miserable life I say. Look at me, I got a life people envy. I got women up the yingyang coming on to me, I got things I can actually be proud of to show on social media. 

I dont want to be lectured by some senior who worked for 35 years and saved up a few mill in the bank, that is not impressive. Hidden tucked away money isnt impressive because its "invisible" you want to be relevant, you need to SHOW what you got. That "visibility" into your life style is what is the most expensive part of being an elite person, being frugal/FIRE is not elite or respectful or inspiring it is a selfish way to live in my honest opinon.

Which is why FIRE is seen as cheap, good luck taking a hot girl in Vancouver on a date and using a coupon to pay for the bill, see what happens. 

I love you

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 12:03 PM, CanuckRookieFan said:

As the OP of this thread I am humbled by your responses, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I want to emphasize that I am a person in my mid-30s who is heavily involved in the Yaletown scene and active on all social media platforms. I may offend some readers by my thoughts but society does not consider anyone over the age of 50 as "relevant" on social media. For that reason and this main reason alone the competition to "look" and act a certain way on social media really guides my life style - yes I have to go into debt to have "nice things" but I have to remind you, I HAVE NICE THINGS - i dont just go into debt for nothing, i actually trade debt for nice things.

Frugal people dont have nice things, they dont go out as much, they dont have Uber Eats on speed dial, they dont have brand clothing ,flashy cars or can buy a round of drinks for everyone at a club.. What type of a life is that a miserable life I say. Look at me, I got a life people envy. I got women up the yingyang coming on to me, I got things I can actually be proud of to show on social media. 

I dont want to be lectured by some senior who worked for 35 years and saved up a few mill in the bank, that is not impressive. Hidden tucked away money isnt impressive because its "invisible" you want to be relevant, you need to SHOW what you got. That "visibility" into your life style is what is the most expensive part of being an elite person, being frugal/FIRE is not elite or respectful or inspiring it is a selfish way to live in my honest opinon.

Which is why FIRE is seen as cheap, good luck taking a hot girl in Vancouver on a date and using a coupon to pay for the bill, see what happens. 

Collection Agency "liked" this post.

• Cheers 1

On 9/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, CanuckRookieFan said:

You call yourself rich? Bro, I'm a Tier 3 subscriber to all the famous Twitch streamers, I don't use Notepad, I use Photoshop. I have all of the Adobe products and I wear Louis Vuitton on a daily basis. I donate $5000 to Pokimane every stream, talk to me again when you're rich.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/9/2022 at 7:12 PM, CanuckRookieFan said:

I am the OP of the thread, people may disagree with my views but please don't undermine my message. The thread underlines the insanity of the concept of FIRE and how the concept aims to "applaud" frugality.

My point is that frugality is one of the worst mind sets to apply in a city like Vancouver. We live in a luxury, prestigious city that is a playground for playboys and rich people who come to enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world. This isn't a city for frugal people, that type of mindset won't make you stand out.

In life I quickly learned that looks is the new currency of the 21st century, people who try to deny it or call others "materlistic" are just choosing to not indulge, while people like me continue to indulge. I have a great life, and I have many things while frugal people have basic things, I don't see how you can tell me basic things beat nice things. They don't.

What are your thoughts on a luxurious frugal life? I.e - I have millions in the bank, but prefer wearing Sketchers and spend my money on computer games rather than designer clothes and chains?

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

What are your thoughts on a luxurious frugal life? I.e - I have millions in the bank, but prefer wearing Sketchers and spend my money on computer games rather than designer clothes and chains?

I prefer a life filled with expensive useless things. Being frugal is lame but it's lamer to spend your money on nice things just to fit in. It's cool to be different man so I like to spend all my money on sweetness like my diamond encrusted compass card holder cause public transit is the new hummer man. It's the place to be seen, when you're rocking down Broadway on the 99 and you see some girls walking by, oh ya I flash that compass card holder and they just drip. 

Get on the train and pop up in yaletown, put on my gold plated helmet before I get my mobi bike oh ya, it's sweet to have nice things baby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, CanuckRookieFan said:

Sunday! Sunday! and Saturday: It's the 9th Annual Dallas Mower Expo! Be there, as the biggest names in mowers unveil the latest grass-cutting technology. Thrill to the spectacle of the Snapper Precision-Mowing Team! See King Mulch take on a Texas-sized pile of twigs! Over 10,000 oil paintings must be sold! Don't miss the Dallas Mower Expo! Be there!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Vrienzy said:

You call yourself rich? Bro, I'm a Tier 3 subscriber to all the famous Twitch streamers, I don't use Notepad, I use Photoshop. I have all of the Adobe products and I wear Louis Vuitton on a daily basis. I donate $5000 to Pokimane every stream, talk to me again when you're rich.

$5000 seems like a lot of money to not talk to a girl in person.