The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unpopular opinion: Don't need top 10 defense to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

CanuckRookieFan

9 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I wonder about our D and how to improve it.

My question is, if you were the GM "what would woo do?"

It's going to take time....

I'd draft d like crazy. I'd also look to trade a forward for a d while dumping Poolman. Next to impossible which is why we are here.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't give a flying @#$! about "making the playoffs". I want a cup.

That D core isn't gonna cut it to get there. Hughes and OEL are a great start, and we have some solid depth guys. Otherwise, a lot in the top-middle of that D needs fixing/improving before we have any shot.

Particularly with Myers and Schenn both also set to expire this/next season, and no succession plan for that..

As a new fan of the Canucks I am content with just making the playoffs and getting a feel/taste of the post season.

If anything hockey games are an activity and entertainment, to be able to take a client or a date to a playoff game sounds really good to me. Just a few home games would be perfect for my personal needs of dating and client managment, in terms of Stanely Cup the real benefit is the extension of more games to attend and more hockey to enjoy, not so much the Cup it self as it has 0 personal benefit to me, anything that doesn't push your personal life goals forward isn't a priority in my books.

Bottom line making the playoffs is the goal, Cup is the bonus.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

As a new fan of the Canucks I am content with just making the playoffs and getting a feel/taste of the post season.

If anything hockey games are an activity and entertainment, to be able to take a client or a date to a playoff game sounds really good to me. Just a few home games would be perfect for my personal needs of dating and client managment, in terms of Stanely Cup the real benefit is the extension of more games to attend and more hockey to enjoy, not so much the Cup it self as it has 0 personal benefit to me, anything that doesn't push your personal life goals forward isn't a priority in my books.

Bottom line making the playoffs is the goal, Cup is the bonus.

As an old fan there's nothing worse than getting killed in the first one or two rounds.

My liver can't take it, my wife can't take it, and I'd rather draft 1st overall.

Now having said that I realize there's a process and you walk before you run but a decade of crap is getting old.

Sorry for the rant lol

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

I think Hughes was arguably above average defensively last year not to mention a total stud offensively. He's slowly rounding into a complete player.

Agreed though the jury is still out as to what his actual ceiling is as he's still so young... although HHOF inductee Quinn Hughes has a nice ring to it ^_^

Let's say Hughes takes another step.  That's great, but after OEL it's all downhill.  There's no true Stay At Home defenseman to eat minutes clear the crease and punish bodies like other teams have had.  Hell, Kronwall was not a big guy but damn; every time he stepped on the ice players watched wtf they were doing because he laid the body like an absolute beast.

We don't have that support for Huggy Bear yet

47 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I LOVE Hughes but question whether or not he could hold up for 4 rounds in a stud role.

You need grindy minutes from your top d.

That's another point.  No way that currently I see Hughes being able to stomach the entirety of the defensive core on his shoulders for 3 rounds against the west right now.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, I guess you're right. But where are the last few Stanley Cup champion's defenses ranked? Real question. And, I kinda want to see them win it. And not just get into the playoffs. 

Well Schenn wasn't a top 6 in Tampa.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Unpopular for a reason.

If you look at the last...I dunno, 20 stanley cup winning teams, they all had the exact same theme.

#1 centre/shutdown centre or total HOF stud forward.  Top flite defense that can eat minutes and score goals.

Hedman/Stamkos/Pointe

Crosby/Malkin/Letang

ROR/Peitrelangelo/Parayko

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Calrson

Toews/Kane/Seabrook/Keith

Bergeron/Chara/Krejci

Kopitar/Doughty/Richards

Lidstrom/Yzerman/Holmstrom

By and large you can go all the way back to 2000 and the predominant and prevailing rosters all...ALL had beyond star defense, forwards and or goaltending that came together at the right time.

Now ask yourself.  who on the Canucks is a Hedman, Pietrelangelo or Parayko.  Carlson.  Letang.  Doughty.  Chara.  Lidstrom.

Sorry mate, defense wins championships.

I'll take Hughes and OEL over John Carlson any day of the week.  Kris Letang was great but they had nothing after him either.  

Sure we need to upgrade the D but that can only happen if we trade some forwards.  So we either run with what we have or we sacrifice some offence for defence.  

Horvat, Boeser and Garland are the sacrifices.  Is one of them going to be moved this year?  If not, look for Poolman to play top 4 minutes this year...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

It's going to take time....

I'd draft d like crazy. I'd also look to trade a forward for a d while dumping Poolman. Next to impossible which is why we are here.

And yet JR/PA decided to draft only one defenceman this year in the first 5 rounds, and his name was Elias Petttersson, just to piss me off...   :mad:

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't give a flying @#$! about "making the playoffs". I want a cup.

That D core isn't gonna cut it to get there. Hughes and OEL are a great start, and we have some solid depth guys. Otherwise, a lot in the top-middle of that D needs fixing/improving before we have any shot.

Particularly with Myers and Schenn both also set to expire this/next season, and no succession plan for that..

Yes, we all do, well most of us anyways.  That's why you have to take the shot when you have it.  Cause you never know if you'll have that shot again.

Sure we can trade Miller for picks and prospects, maybe a RHD, we can do the same with Horvat too.  Doesn't mean we are going to win the cup.  Look at 1994 and 2011.  Both teams were stacked, even on D.  And we still lost.

We have the forward group and the goaltending to win the cup.  We also have an elite PMD and a top 2 Dman in OEL.  We just need a couple more pieces on D and we can take the shot...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, we all do, well most of us anyways.  That's why you have to take the shot when you have it.  Cause you never know if you'll have that shot again.

Sure we can trade Miller for picks and prospects, maybe a RHD, we can do the same with Horvat too.  Doesn't mean we are going to win the cup.  Look at 1994 and 2011.  Both teams were stacked, even on D.  And we still lost.

We have the forward group and the goaltending to win the cup.  We also have an elite PMD and a top 2 Dman in OEL.  We just need a couple more pieces on D and we can take the shot...

How would you get those last few pieces?

Wait for the trade deadline and see what/who falls out?

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

How would you get those last few pieces?

What for the trade deadline amd see what/who falls out?

Well you have to give to get.  Colorado got Toews with a couple second rounders.  If you want to take the shot then you have to make the sacrifice.  Trading draft picks would be the only way if you don't want to touch the forward group right now.  Or you can overpay in free agency which never works out well.

So we can trade those 2nd and 3rd round picks and take the shot or we can keep them and use them to draft all of the hockey players names Elias Pettersson...

• Cheers 2